Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #40,426 of 75,149
Hi, I only own the Svara-L, and I don't recommend it for HD600 lovers because it has recessed mids (not crazy recessed, but still noticeable).

Which Svara-L do you have?
I've got both models - the original 115Ω, and the more recent 32Ω.
The Midrange on the 115Ω version is quite recessed (makes it fairly dark sounding).
The Midrange on the 32Ω version has much less of a dip (it's probably my favorite sounding MMCX earbud - but it isn't the most comfortable in my ears).

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #40,427 of 75,149
Which Svara-L do you have?
I've got both models - the original 115Ω, and the more recent 32Ω.
The Midrange on the 115Ω version is quite recessed (makes it fairly dark sounding).
The Midrange on the 32Ω version has much less of a dip (it's probably my favorite sounding MMCX earbud - but it isn't the most comfortable in my ears).
I have the 32ohm version. Yes, it's not v-shaped but I still feel the mids are a bit recessed when compared to the two other frequencies. The HD600 has an emphasis in the mids, so the Svara-L wouldn't cut it.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #40,428 of 75,149
for picking up details, yes, usually the iems have upper hand because of the isolation and design. unless you listen the earbuds on a really quiet place.

earbuds are more a substitute for open headphones or speakers.

if you want bright and airy, the Edifier H185, Moondrop VX Pro, Liebesleid, Mojito, and maybe SWD2+ might fit the bill
I second the Moondrop VX Pro for bright and airy. It sounds fantastic

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #40,429 of 75,149
So I've been listening to my Baldoor E100's and my Cypherus Audio Camp Fred 2's (which are 2.5mm balanced) through my Sabaj DA3 and I'm starting to sort of doubt earbuds audio prowess. My Shockwave 3 IEM's just seem to crush both pairs in nearly every way outside of sound stage (though I suspect if I made them balanced that might change a bit).

And when I say crush I mean I can pick up subtle sounds and nuances that neither pair of my buds can muster...even WITH equalization bringing up the mids and highs in the buds.

Is this just me? I feel like my ear shape and all hold the buds really well and give me the "best" audio I can get from them...I've played with foams to a satisfying degree as well to determine what sounds best. Yet, at the end of the day both pairs are just sort of alright in comparison to the IEM.

Now, granted, the Shockwave 3's are a 5-driver hybrid (single 11mm dynamic for bass and four armatures for mids/highs) so maybe I'm being a bit unfair to the buds and the IEM's really are just THAT good but something like the Camp Fred 2 is touted as having a strong high-end but the only thing I've heard so far is a very warm and slightly muddy sound...nothing I do changes this.

Thoughts? Are buds just lacking and unable to match an IEM or do I just need to try something else? What's a genuinely BRIGHT and AIRY bud because the Camp Fred, despite its description and reviews ain't it.

for picking up details, yes, usually the iems have upper hand because of the isolation and design. unless you listen the earbuds on a really quiet place.

earbuds are more a substitute for open headphones or speakers.

if you want bright and airy, the Edifier H185, Moondrop VX Pro, Liebesleid, Mojito, and maybe SWD2+ might fit the bill

I happen to have SW3, Edifier H 185, Moondrop VX Pro, Liebesleid, Mojito, SWD2+ (But SW3 and Liebesleid has already been sold).

I write my impressions below.
· SW3: It is a clear treble, but the bass is somewhat weak.
· Edifier H185: crisp and beautiful treble, really good details.
· Moondrop VX Pro: Neutrally and analytically with a really good sound stage. However, a somewhat heavy housing is too small so require rubber ring.
· Liebesleid: A beautiful well-developed treble. However, since it is too heavy housing, it is necessary to devise a comfortable wearing.And it is too expensive.
· Mojito: The HIFI sound, resolution are overwhelming. However, since it is a special shape housing, it is necessary to devise a comfortable wearing. And it is too expensive.
· SWD2+: It is slightly stiff treble, and its PK housing is easy to wear. However, it is too expensive.

In conclusion, I think that Edifier H185 is the easiest to use and good.
If you have no resistance to using rubber ring, I think that Moondrop VX Pro is even better ......

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #40,430 of 75,149
Hi
I'm after all your expert advice. I'm after some earbuds for work. Earbuds are better than iems for me so I can still hear my colleagues. They will be amped as I use a fiio A5 with an ibasso dx120. I mainly listen to black metal but also loads of reggae, hip hop, jazz, classic rock etc. I can spend up to £150. What would you all recommend?

I'm bumping your question since no replies. Please feel free to ignore my opinions :)

I see in your profile that you have
Monk plus
Vidos
Philips SHE3800

I assume something must be lacking in those very decent earbuds. The one thing that stands out, at least for the Vido and SHE3800 is that they have cheap looking cable, plug etc. The Monk+ is a step up in that regard, but many of us prefer the others more. Before jumping from £2 to £150, consider a spending around £20 -£30 for an earbud a few steps up in audio and build quality. I didn't purchase any earbuds last year, and my recent purchases have exceeded my expectations. Maybe earuds are getting better? My recent purchases have turned some of my old favorites into orphans.I suspect that some of the high end audio purchases are due to conspicuous consumption. You can spend that £150, and get amazing build quality - cable, shell, plug, but how much better will it be in terms of function? For that £150 will they be more comfortable? Fit is the one thing that spending extra $$$ won't improve.

Good luck and hopefully someone more knowledgeable myself will provide some solid suggestions.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #40,431 of 75,149
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #40,432 of 75,149
I'm bumping your question since no replies. Please feel free to ignore my opinions :)

I see in your profile that you have
Monk plus
Vidos
Philips SHE3800

I assume something must be lacking in those very decent earbuds. The one thing that stands out, at least for the Vido and SHE3800 is that they have cheap looking cable, plug etc. The Monk+ is a step up in that regard, but many of us prefer the others more. Before jumping from £2 to £150, consider a spending around £20 -£30 for an earbud a few steps up in audio and build quality. I didn't purchase any earbuds last year, and my recent purchases have exceeded my expectations. Maybe earuds are getting better? My recent purchases have turned some of my old favorites into orphans.I suspect that some of the high end audio purchases are due to conspicuous consumption. You can spend that £150, and get amazing build quality - cable, shell, plug, but how much better will it be in terms of function? For that £150 will they be more comfortable? Fit is the one thing that spending extra $$$ won't improve.

Good luck and hopefully someone more knowledgeable myself will provide some solid suggestions.
Thanks for your reply. I currently have Vido, emx500, snow lotus 2, monk plus, Zen, zen l, zen lol and ty hi-z 32. I like them all in different ways. I’m thinking as I liked the ty hi-z quite a lot I may get some 150s. Are these decent?

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #40,433 of 75,149
Thanks for your reply. I currently have Vido, emx500, snow lotus 2, monk plus, Zen, zen l, zen lol and ty hi-z 32. I like them all in different ways. I’m thinking as I liked the ty hi-z quite a lot I may get some 150s. Are these decent?

It is simple my impression of TY Hi-Z HP-150s(gold plated plug).
The low range is tight and has punch power.
The vocal range is smooth.
The high range also sounds good by V-shaped sound.
You can listen fun with a good soundstage.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #40,436 of 75,149
I happen to have SW3, Edifier H 185, Moondrop VX Pro, Liebesleid, Mojito, SWD2+ (But SW3 and Liebesleid has already been sold).

· Moondrop VX Pro: Neutrally and analytically with a really good sound stage. However, a somewhat heavy housing is too small so require rubber ring.
· Liebesleid: A beautiful well-developed treble. However, since it is too heavy housing, it is necessary to devise a comfortable wearing.And it is too expensive.
· Mojito: The HIFI sound, resolution are overwhelming. However, since it is a special shape housing, it is necessary to devise a comfortable wearing. And it is too expensive.
· SWD2+: It is slightly stiff treble, and its PK housing is easy to wear. However, it is too expensive.

If you have no resistance to using rubber ring, I think that Moondrop VX Pro is even better ......

me personally prefer the H185 to the VX Pro, because the VX Pro has a peak resonance that happens to hurt my ears to the point of ringing.also the fit is much more finicky than the H185. it is more airy than the H185 though

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #40,437 of 75,149

SW3 from Simphonio?

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #40,439 of 75,149
Can anyone compare SL 1.0+ with willsound mk2 ?
Hello,

I don't have the SL 1.0+. I have the SL 1.0 and the mk2. What I could say is that they are in a different tier. MK2 is supeior in all aspects. I could say that the MK2 can pair with my TY HI-Z 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back