Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #39,181 of 75,248
You have to provide a lot more information. How much do you want to spend? What is your source (DAP, phone, headphone amp)? What headphones/iem/earbuds have you used and what did you like/dislike about them?
I mostly listen to tidal hi-fi with Cozoy Aegis and Hifime Sabre 9018. Currently i own Isines 10, B&W P7, Beyerdynamic 770PRO (250ohm) Hifiman HE350 and Sony WHX1000M2.

I like sony the most for it's more musical sound and realistic sound of instruments

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #39,182 of 75,248
Hi earbud crew - I can't get a handle on the SL 1.0+, they sound incredibly dark to me, to the point where it's distracting. I feel like everything from the sub bass up through the midrange area where most male vocals reside sounds really nice, and there is a nice wide soundstage. However it just seems like there is zero treble extension, and it makes everything feel very muted on the whole.

Are they considered a "dark" earbud? Maybe they're just not a good match for me, but seeing so many people praise them makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I've just starting dabbling with budget earbuds over the past couple of months and have been extremely happy with the RY4S and EMX500S so far, and have too many pairs of new buds on the way from China right now.

try burn-in them for some time?
same as my fengru silver. first heard like nothing, then i put them in box because i feel wasted.
try burn-in some hour. they improved in many aspects. and now start to love them.

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #39,183 of 75,248
I've just received a Vidos from @Carrow

These are lovely little buds.
After a little A/B/C'ing with the Kube V1 and Sabia V6 I'm quite confident in saying it lies between the two in tonality.

Kube V1 is the darkest, with the most subdued treble (not to be mistaken for a lack of detail) - kinda like an hd650
Vidos has the most even (neutral'ish/v-shaped) sound between treble and bass. - Kinda like a decent studio monitor tuning or DJ headphone(? ... sorry, that's quite abstract ^_^)
Sabia V6 is just fun with emphasised bass, treble and upper mids. - kinda like an HA-DX1000

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #39,184 of 75,248
Jan 18, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #39,185 of 75,248
Hi earbud crew - I can't get a handle on the SL 1.0+, they sound incredibly dark to me, to the point where it's distracting. I feel like everything from the sub bass up through the midrange area where most male vocals reside sounds really nice, and there is a nice wide soundstage. However it just seems like there is zero treble extension, and it makes everything feel very muted on the whole.

Are they considered a "dark" earbud? Maybe they're just not a good match for me, but seeing so many people praise them makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I've just starting dabbling with budget earbuds over the past couple of months and have been extremely happy with the RY4S and EMX500S so far, and have too many pairs of new buds on the way from China right now.
If you want to keep the bass and increase the treble, use donut foams.

Jan 18, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #39,186 of 75,248
is soundstage wider than ry4s ?

currently i love fengrudiy mx985 . it sounds better than my ry4s ue, edifier h180 or even vido. now looking to try snow lotus 1.0+
anyone had tried this ?
IMG-20190103-153922.jpg
These are beast !!!
Don't know if they are related to Tingo TG-38S (A overrated hype 4 years ago). They don't bear any Tingo logo or model number.
The soundstage and detail retrieving are what they bested the SL 1.0+. Bass response is good, punchy and extended but beaten by the Snow Lotus 1.0+. Still the Snow Lotus 1.0+ is very airy and immersive though, these Fengru or whatever is slightly better and the midrange is pushed forward a little bit.
These silveries and SnowLotus 1.0+ are currently my budget champs without no doubt !
As for the RY4S, mine is the redish cable one, the cheapest one. To me, R4YS is far inferior to the two above, they sound drier and tinny compared to those two.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #39,189 of 75,248
For me, the regular (cheapest) RY4S is the current <$10cdn champ. It's a much better sounding bud than the Monk+ (and I like the Monks). I have some Vidos on the way so I'll see if that remains true in a few days. The sound quality of the RY4S is more open and full compared to the Monk+. Above moderate volume though they get a little harsh in the mids. I like the cable on the basic RY4S as well...decent quality.

I find the RY4S UE version to be very good. Great balance and none of the mid harshness of the non UE version. I like it and the EMX500S pretty much equally. I have a Snow Lotus 1.0 and a SL 1.0+ on the way as well...

I had a set of Panda PK2s as well but one of the drivers crapped out. They sounded great though...maybe a tad better than the RY4S UE & EMX500S even. I have a new set on the way...

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #39,190 of 75,248
I have Faaeal Iris 1.0, Snow-lotus 1.0 & 1.0+, 2.0 white, 2.0 Rosemary, EMX500s, basic RY4S, two versions of recabled Vido's (second best). I found that Rosemary sound best for my taste. I don't like V shaped sound signature of RY4S or upper mids spike on EMX500s. Faaeal SL 2.0 white is too mid centric for me. Clear and nice mids and highs but no sub bass. What will be next step in SQ from Rosemary? LG V30, DragonFly Red, FX Audio DAC X6, TOPPING MX3, PC.... for<100$.
Rosemary are easy to drive beside 150ohms..
TO600s? TY Hi-Z HP-150s 150MKII? Svara L 32ohm? etc..

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #39,192 of 75,248
Monk plus is better than I remembered, i take back anything I said about it. Not the deepest bass but it has some punch to the mid bass and is tonally quite good with ali thin foams. Slightly honky/throaty vocals and some uneven treble, but nothing offensive. Before i didnt driver them out of a V30 in high impedance mode maybe that's the difference. Still missing some sub bass but it's not a lost cause, there's some bass hiding in there and I'm going to find it with mods :) it's definitely a mod worthy bud.

Something weird about the VE buds, the driver really rattled around the mid bass frequencies. Like you can actually feel the cover vibrating if you remove it from the shell and just hold it. Very strange. I'm thinking I'll put some sorbothane behind the driver magnet to help control vibrations. But the plastic shell pressing against the driver does a good job of that too.

@HungryPanda I have fallen to temptation! Saw the TO600 for $68 and jumped on it... How much did you pay during 11.11 (or was that not when you got it). The current price seems as low as I can remember, other stores are saying 70-80+.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #39,194 of 75,248
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back