Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #39,166 of 75,317
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #39,167 of 75,317
That works. We probably should get some from that link. We have tons of foams here but running low on these thin ones.

I keep buying 1 pack thinking "100 is enough" but between some defects and the amount of earbuds and mod foams i use these with I run through them fast.

Gonna buy 3 packs next time, I'll be swimming in foams!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #39,168 of 75,317
Just read a post from ClieOS that the TO600 is both beryllium and Biocelluose, two of the luxury driver matierals. If either is true it might be worth the buy just have it in my collection as ive never heard either in a driver. But I'm really doubting the beryllium part, isnt that stuff hella expensive??!!

Periodic Audio is a US company that sells beryllium IEMs for $300, so it's not particularly out there for a Chinese based company with somewhat lesser fit/accessories to do it for $100.

I'd believe it. They're rather highly resolving for dynamics, but I don't know if that's just the case due to the very high impedance.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #39,169 of 75,317
Beryllium is expensive if you are buying grams of it. The amount used on each dynamic driver by vapour deposit is so small that you simply isn't using enough of it to make it super expensive, only that it is more expensive than your regular driver.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #39,170 of 75,317
The VE Zen 2.0 Zoe and VE Zen LL that I ordered at the end of last year, before the Zoe was discontinued, have arrived in the mail today.
Using the foams in the Ex-Pack Lite, I installed a donut foam over a thin full foam - and connected the Pure Blue cable to the Zoe, and plugged them into the Balanced output on my iBasso PB2 amp (2x OPA1622).
The source is my PC, playing some Candido Camero High Res tracks using JRiver MC24, with a TOSLINK connection to my FiiO Taishan D03K (Cirrus 4344) DAC.

My first impressions are that the Zoe have almost too much Bass - and they've also got a really nice, wide Sound Stage.

After reading about half a dozen comments on my Earbuds Anonymous Facebook group post, recommending that I not use foams with the Zen earbuds, I've removed the foams, and installed the rubber rings from the VE Ex-Pack, on both the Zoe and the Zen LL.
Using the rubber rings does make a difference, and the earbuds do sound more balanced this way, without so much Bass emphasis.
(EDIT: The difference the rings make, is they allow the earbuds to fit and seal better in my ears (similar to using foams), to keep from losing too much Bass.)
One thing that I did notice, is that the 320Ω Zoe is more efficient than the 150Ω Zen LL, and plays louder at the same volume setting on my PB2 amp.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #39,171 of 75,317
Beryllium is expensive if you are buying grams of it. The amount used on each dynamic driver by vapour deposit is so small that you simply isn't using enough of it to make it super expensive, only that it is more expensive than your regular driver.

I remember back in the '70s, hearing that due to the toxic nature of Beryllium (mainly the dust produced during machining), no American companies were actually producing Beryllium drivers.
The only pure Beryllium drivers available at the time, were in the Yamaha NS-1000 Monitor speakers, which I thought sounded amazing - but I couldn't afford to buy them.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #39,172 of 75,317
I remember back in the '70s, hearing that due to the toxic nature of Beryllium (mainly the dust produced during machining), no American companies were actually producing Beryllium drivers.
The only pure Beryllium drivers available at the time, were in the Yamaha NS-1000 Monitor speakers, which I thought sounded amazing - but I couldn't afford to buy them.

You can buy industrial quality pure beryllium on Taobao for just under US$200 per 100g actually. Not that much expensive if you consider industrial pure silver is around the same price range.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #39,173 of 75,317
Ah so it's a beryllium coating on a biocelluose driver? That's an interesting combo.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #39,174 of 75,317
You can buy industrial quality pure beryllium on Taobao for just under US$200 per 100g actually. Not that much expensive if you consider industrial pure silver is around the same price range.
It's very feasible then to make pure beryllium earbud drivers for high end earbuds. It would be a tenth of the cost of beryllium drivers found in full size cans.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #39,175 of 75,317

now that you mention it, I actually had some experience with beryllium due to how its used on valve seats for engines, mainly for titanium valves (heat dissipation and protecting the valve itself). Maybe its just an alloy of it, but as I remember, its not that expensive.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #39,176 of 75,317
Hi earbud crew - I can't get a handle on the SL 1.0+, they sound incredibly dark to me, to the point where it's distracting. I feel like everything from the sub bass up through the midrange area where most male vocals reside sounds really nice, and there is a nice wide soundstage. However it just seems like there is zero treble extension, and it makes everything feel very muted on the whole.

Are they considered a "dark" earbud? Maybe they're just not a good match for me, but seeing so many people praise them makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I've just starting dabbling with budget earbuds over the past couple of months and have been extremely happy with the RY4S and EMX500S so far, and have too many pairs of new buds on the way from China right now.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #39,177 of 75,317
For those who have trouble with AE tracking (I do occasionally), this is worth trying:

http://parcelsapp.com/en

I find it is often more reliable and it shows all delivery steps to your door. It works for ebay and other suppliers as well. My link is to the English version but you can change the language. Another good thing is that it stores your tracking numbers so it is easy to check multiple orders.
https://postal.ninja/en/tracks

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #39,178 of 75,317
The VE Zen 2.0 Zoe and VE Zen LL that I ordered at the end of last year, before the Zoe was discontinued, have arrived in the mail today.
Using the foams in the Ex-Pack Lite, I installed a donut foam over a thin full foam - and connected the Pure Blue cable to the Zoe, and plugged them into the Balanced output on my iBasso PB2 amp (2x OPA1622).
The source is my PC, playing some Candido Camero High Res tracks using JRiver MC24, with a TOSLINK connection to my FiiO Taishan D03K (Cirrus 4344) DAC.

My first impressions are that the Zoe have almost too much Bass - and they've also got a really nice, wide Sound Stage.
Use them (ZOE) without foams, much better.. or http://s.aliexpress.com/ERNr6VJV
P90118-101500.jpg
P90118-101500.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #39,179 of 75,317
Hi earbud crew - I can't get a handle on the SL 1.0+, they sound incredibly dark to me, to the point where it's distracting. I feel like everything from the sub bass up through the midrange area where most male vocals reside sounds really nice, and there is a nice wide soundstage. However it just seems like there is zero treble extension, and it makes everything feel very muted on the whole.

Are they considered a "dark" earbud? Maybe they're just not a good match for me, but seeing so many people praise them makes me feel like I'm missing something.

I've just starting dabbling with budget earbuds over the past couple of months and have been extremely happy with the RY4S and EMX500S so far, and have too many pairs of new buds on the way from China right now.
Try them without foams. How are the highs then? A compromise is thin foams, you keep most of the highs of a foamless setup but you lose some sub bass impact.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #39,180 of 75,317
Those Docomo earbuds look really nice, too bad there isnt a more accesible to get them.
Seems kinda odd registering on a Malaysian Forum just to try and get some earbuds :ghost:

Looks like i played myself.
Contacted the seller and got bought them, lets see if they are a bit good.
The seller was really helpfull.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back