Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 31, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #38,537 of 75,243
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #38,538 of 75,243
Do you know how big the shell on those is? Is it the same size as these ones? https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRE9LP...8&qid=1546233552&sr=8-6&keywords=sony+earbuds
They look similar, though the one I linked above from Amazon is absolutely terrible. Sound like dollar store earbuds, compared to Chi-Fi earbuds anyways which is a shame because they fit great with their small size.

IIRC,there were several versions of E808+ that sounded really bad and no amount of burn-in would remedy it. Even "good" E808+ were non-licensed Sony fakes and required a day of so of burn-in to sweeten the sound. When I used to buy E808+, I would buy half-dozens from different taobao vendors. When I find the one that works, I would then buy a few more from that vendors quite soon after. The "good" ones had effortless low bass, recessed mids and non-fatiguing highs (that rolls off quite early in the FR teens). Fun earbuds, when paired with decent DAPs; had a few unsuspecting friends spewed expletives (in a good way) when they first tried them on :)

EDIT: Only read your link after posting. No, those should be original Sony earbuds. E808+ are not made by Sony. IIRC, E808+ was cobbled together by some chinese manufacturer/s and sold as Sony earbuds, that was over 10 years ago. IMO, I think the really good sounding Sony earbud ended with the 888LPs.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #38,539 of 75,243
They are sold on Ebay as well. Every now and then ebay does a 10-15% discount, maybe wait for that to come up and order them?

Is the lack of subbass because of the driver itself or that they don't seal? If you cover or press them into your ear does the subbass/bass become more present?

I experienced that with the pt25's. Little to no subbass unless perfectly positioned. Until I put foams on them.

All these positive impressions/responses are making me want them here already.

I use ourart ACG with HiGi full foams, with them I get really good fit, with thinner foams they sit loosely. IMO these buds have almost the right amount of bass, I don't think they are bass light. But I feel the same about TO400s and other people seem to find them a bit light on bass, so have that in mind.
Both these buds have a really good fit in my ears with right type of foam, thinner for toneking because of bigger diameter.

I find ACG EQ friendly, its possible to attenuate the bass region quite a bit.

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #38,540 of 75,243
Just received a pair of PureSounds PS100-600S 600Ω ear buds ("Pop" Tuned Edition; 2.5mm balanced plug; 600-core copper cable) from [B]@chaiyuta[/B]

I really like the feel of the cable; initial listening session commences!

Puresounds-Logo.jpg
1c167485-aafc-4479-9987-8cee3fe5bbb0.jpg
5e7cefc4-06e7-445e-afea-e79da7ca2564.jpg

Ear Buds connected to "Steampunk"
The 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adapter is my now third FiiO L26... these lil' boogers sure do have legs!
b07e8f4e-3738-421c-91ee-b872bb5a1eb2.jpg
After a few weeks I am finding my newest acquisition (PureSounds PS100-600S) to be quite delightful. For long-listening sessions they are proving themselves to be extremely non-fatiguing and pleasant to the ears... more so than, dare I say my Blurs. I have leaned toward black colored foams over red ones.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #38,541 of 75,243
Dec 31, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #38,542 of 75,243
Hi, back sniffing around Headfi again, after a 2 year break. Any newish-released earbuds (about past year or so) with smaller shells that I should look at? I think I already have most of the smaller Qians, E808+ & SHE3800. Sadly, I can't fit MX500 shells, which cancels out 98% of the earbud market. Although, truth be told, the earbud postings look quite similar to when I left; E808+, Monks, Qians, Vido etc. Maybe I should have stayed away longer! :)

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #38,543 of 75,243
IIRC,there were several versions of E808+ that sounded really bad and no amount of burn-in would remedy it. Even "good" E808+ were non-licensed Sony fakes and required a day of so of burn-in to sweeten the sound. When I used to buy E808+, I would buy half-dozens from different taobao vendors. When I find the one that works, I would then buy a few more from that vendors quite soon after. The "good" ones had effortless low bass, recessed mids and non-fatiguing highs (that rolls off quite early in the FR teens). Fun earbuds, when paired with decent DAPs; had a few unsuspecting friends spewed expletives (in a good way) when they first tried them on :)

EDIT: Only read your link after posting. No, those should be original Sony earbuds. E808+ are not made by Sony. IIRC, E808+ was cobbled together by some chinese manufacturer/s and sold as Sony earbuds, that was over 10 years ago. IMO, I think the really good sounding Sony earbud ended with the 888LPs.
10 years? I didn't realise the E808+ had been around so long. I did a search on here and most of the discussions on them were around two years ago (you feature often! ... as do I and vapman - what happened to him?). The consensus then was that they were better than the E808 but getting a reliable pair could be a challenge. I think you had a preferred supplier? My three pairs (one from AE, two from Ebay) were all fine after a few days of use. The ones I linked to seem to be genuine from the pictures, but at $5 there's not a lot to lose.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #38,544 of 75,243
It's 2-year-old memories, but I vaguely remembered reading about them on a vietnamese forum (translated) few year ago then, and the earliest mentioned in headfi was some time before me.

I thought vapman did a runner after selling some stuff here. He was OK with me. @vapman, if you are reading this, I am sorry if I got the story wrong; I have been away till now.

I don't have a preferred supplier as I don't think they really knew what they have (good or bad). Only reliable way was to pre-sample their batches to get good ones. It's $2 a piece, so not exactly expensive to test them. There were visual clues to to narrow down the lottery, but was it's never a sure thing (check my old posts, I wrote about what to look out for). I only bought from taobao, so not sure about how this applies to other suppliers. It's pretty much the only earbuds use now. as I can't fit MX500-shelled earbuds in my ear.

Is the russian earbud oligarch still around? Golov?. He's got the best rare stuff!

Dec 31, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #38,549 of 75,243
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but the SD2+ is offered at Massdrop again for $199. I missed it last time but plan to get it this time around. Still considered worth getting, somewhat TOTL? I am not a bass head and like balanced dynamic sound signature. From what I have read it may fit that signature. My fav full size cans are the Elear and Denon dk7000 if that helps. And I really like the small Yuin size buds! So there's that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back