Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #34,996 of 75,343
Here's a list of all the buds I have tried (mine and others') listed in my order of preference (price not a factor).

Also, you may find some differences between my testin and order of preference - for example, I've rated AHE-150 4 stars and WillSound MK2 as 4.5 but prefer the former more. MK2 is technically sound, but I find the AHE-150 more fun.

Here's goes:
- Moonbuds Bunting
- Moonbuds Nightingale
- Airman AHE-150
- Willsound MK2
- Moonbuds Crescent
- HiFiBoy Dream
- V-Friend V-Oldy
- Willsound MK3
- Moonbuds Laze
- Ty Hi-Z650
- Ourart Ti7
- V-Friend V-Master
- Willsound MK300
- Audio Varna Mera Biru
- Willsound MK1
- Red Demun
- VE Monk Lite 120
- Willsound PK32
- EMX 500
- Edifier H180
- Willsound MX32
- VE Monk Plus
- Bejo V2
- Mrice E100
- Headroom MS16

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #34,997 of 75,343
2018 NICEHCK EB2 Earbud HIFI Metal Earphone 14.8mm Dynamic Driver Headset NICEHCK Second Flagship Earbud Sound Like NICEHCK EBX
http://s.aliexpress.com/6JjiIBJf
26,99 usd with discount from JimNiceHCK
S80915-072501-001.jpg

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #34,999 of 75,343
I have the R6 as well. The KANN arrived yesterday:
https://us.astellnkern.com/products/kann
It is charging now, so haven't tried it yet. It does Tidal, but not offline. Initially I was looking for a DAP that plays Tidal offline, but couldn't find one besides the R6 and didn't want to go the Android phone route. I'll use the R6 as a beater at work, etc., so ultimately decided the offline isn't as important.

what factor you consider that makes you avoid the android phone route? if the phone option is open, you might want to try the bluetooth solution like the Centrance BlueDAC or IFI Xdsd both sound great and can't honestly hear a difference wired or wireless with them.

The Campfred White buds also arrived recently. @Danneq mentioned before that they are similar in sound signature to the CAX Black, which I'd agree with... more "reference" than the CF2 or Zoomfred. The cable is less rigid than the black, but it is incredibly microphonic. :triportsad: I suspect it is the coating on the cable - if I rub my finger along it, it sounds like someone is rubbing on my ear. I guess the White and the Black will both be "sitting on the couch while reading" buds.

a shirt clip (or two, if the cable is really troublesome) might help? or if the problem is from the Y split up to the shell, a tape at the shell where the cables come out might do the job

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #35,000 of 75,343
NiceHCK EB2 (sub-flagship earbuds!)

Pros:
Very wide / deep / involving sound-stage.
Excellent resolution & micro detail retrieval (with no sibilance!)
Accurate imaging and layering of instruments.
Analogue/warm/bright tuning - retaining a refined midrange.

Cons:
The shells are very small – so donut foam/rubber is required in order to achieve a good seal.
The cable could be produced with a longer length > 1.5m.
Sub-bass presentation could be a tad more forward.

Build, comfort & fit:

Build quality of the metal shells is excellent & the silver cable helps to retrieve micro detail, whilst being non-microphonic, tangle free and pliable. (Unlike EBX shell adjustments are not needed.) In-ear the comfort level is awesome - they’re incredibly light – making the burn-in process an absolute breeze! Once a good seal is achieved, bass quantity & resolution increases. A better fit also adds weight to instrumentation…helping to convey a “live” performance feeling to high-resolution recordings. The impending release of a (2.5mm plug) balanced version, should help to further micro detailing, extend 3D holophonics & add more “air” to the sound-stage.

Sound signature:

EB2’s sound signature is addictive & tuned to be bright without ever being sharp or brash. They manage to present plenty of micro detail retrieval, alongside a warm and analogue tonality, to convey levels of intimacy only seemingly achieved with more expensive TOtL buds!
Composing and mixing tracks with EB2 buds is a real joy – A wide and deep soundstage is experienced, generating holophonic imagery, which is coupled with accurate layering of instruments - consequently, they completely avoid any feeling of congestion.

Response to EQ:

EB2 sound fantastic out of the box with any quality sources, driven by phones or high-res DAP's. They also respond well to being EQ’d across the entire frequency spectrum range: 20 – 23kHz.
– boosting the lower frequency range certainly helps to increase presence of bass & sub-bass.
– boosting midrange / high treble frequencies adds sparkle without succumbing to sibilance!

Genre/listening preferences:

These buds especially excel with: electronica, soundscapes and binaural recordings.
Additionally, they seem to handle all genres effortlessly from pop > rock > classical > jazz & especially suit female vocals - hence they are a great all-rounder!

Comparisons:

Moondrop VX-Pro vs EB2

Having similar sized metal housings to EB2 - the VX-Pro are considerably heavier - the extra weight makes them prone to fatigue & falling out. Like the EB2 they have a wide sound-stage -once a good seal is obtained. However they do lack the same level of SQ, clarity and resolving power of the EB2. Because of the weight issue and being prone to sibilance as a consequence of slightly brash forward mids - I stopped using these buds & they're currently being re-cabled for balanced output.

Campfred 1 vs EB2

The CampFreds ooze quality from the jack plug / cable / Y-splitter to the shells. They convey a more intimate experience, coupled with more weight of instrumentation and vocals. The sound-stage is definitely more 3D, airy and holophonic – whilst retaining overall warmth & intimacy. CampFreds are slightly more refined, the EB2 however have more raw energy. Both buds complement each other perfectly for a wide range of genres imo.

Conclusions & Verdict:

It’s testament to the EB2’s sound quality (& flagship brother EBX) - that they can compete with more expensive TOtL buds. They have a very moreish and addictive sound signature that is involving and pulls you in - maximising the listening experience, whilst unveiling previously hidden details.
Bass resolution is accurate and fast, alongside mids that are not extended too far forward into the mix – in order to maintain the refined tonality. Their presentation remains refreshing during continual listening sessions - with no hint of fatigue. In my opinion, JIm at NiceHCK has set a new standard for budget value earbuds…and thus EB2 will always remain a TOtL keeper!!!

· Sound signature: 4.5/5
· Soundstage: 5/5
· Micro-details: 5/5
· Bass: 4.5/5
· Mids: 4.5/5
· Treble: 4,5/5
· Value: 5/5

So what you're saying is that you don't like them very much? Joking! Thanks for the review. They sound like winners.

Here's a list of all the buds I have tried (mine and others') listed in my order of preference (price not a factor).

Also, you may find some differences between my testin and order of preference - for example, I've rated AHE-150 4 stars and WillSound MK2 as 4.5 but prefer the former more. MK2 is technically sound, but I find the AHE-150 more fun.

Here's goes:
- Moonbuds Bunting
- Moonbuds Nightingale
- Airman AHE-150
- Willsound MK2
- Moonbuds Crescent
- HiFiBoy Dream
- V-Friend V-Oldy
- Willsound MK3
- Moonbuds Laze
- Ty Hi-Z650
- Ourart Ti7
- V-Friend V-Master
- Willsound MK300
- Audio Varna Mera Biru
- Willsound MK1
- Red Demun
- VE Monk Lite 120
- Willsound PK32
- EMX 500
- Edifier H180
- Willsound MX32
- VE Monk Plus
- Bejo V2
- Mrice E100
- Headroom MS16

I appreciate your ranking - thanks! You still need to get the Svara L (32 ohms). I imagine you'd rank them at least around the MK2 level.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #35,001 of 75,343
what factor you consider that makes you avoid the android phone route? if the phone option is open, you might want to try the bluetooth solution like the Centrance BlueDAC or IFI Xdsd both sound great and can't honestly hear a difference wired or wireless with them.

Hey, what about the Radsone, huh?

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #35,002 of 75,343

My phone is provided by work, and unfortunately we are locked into Apple as the apps they've developed for my job are only for iOS. I went through a period of time of using portable DAC/amps with the CCK, but the CCKs kept breaking and I was paying ~$40 for a new one every 3-4 months. I do have a couple of Bluetooth amps (Bluewave GET and an Earstudio ES100), but have found that I prefer a separate device for music as I have to use the phone a lot for work stuff. And in all honesty, I do really enjoy buying gadgets. :grimacing:

a shirt clip (or two, if the cable is really troublesome) might help? or if the problem is from the Y split up to the shell, a tape at the shell where the cables come out might do the job

I'll definitely give that a try (thanks for the suggestion!), but I fear that it may be a property of the coating. It is tough to see in the picture because of my lousy photography (and all the dog hair on my keyboard), but the cable has a clear coating which is quite thick. A little tap anywhere on the cable is like a tap on the ear. The coating is before and after the split. These buds do sound awesome, but I don't think they will work for portable use.

On the bright side, the KANN is fantastic - it pairs really well with the ZoomFred, and is a big step up from the Hiby R6. Great soundstage and detail, and is just really engaging and musical.

CAX White.JPG

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #35,003 of 75,343
I appreciate your ranking - thanks! You still need to get the Svara L (32 ohms). I imagine you'd rank them at least around the MK2 level.

The Tracking info for my Svara-L (32Ω), shows that they were in San Francisco on Wednesday.
So, I expect they'll be here in Houston by the first of next week.
Looking forward to hearing them.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #35,004 of 75,343
The hype on the EBX (the regular one) is real. That’s one mighty earbud! Wowza!
The first three hours were torture, though. Honestly, closed in sound, crackling, imbalance. If you don’t believe in burn in, believe it now. That’s why I hate when people do videos about impressions out of the box!

Sep 15, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #35,005 of 75,343
The hype on the EBX (the regular one) is real. That’s one mighty earbud! Wowza!
The first three hours were torture, though. Honestly, closed in sound, crackling, imbalance. If you don’t believe in burn in, believe it now. That’s why I hate when people do videos about impressions out of the box!

For my ears, using a donut foam over a full foam on the EBX, is more comfortable and provides a good seal for better Bass response.

Sep 15, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #35,007 of 75,343
Hey, what about the Radsone, huh?

@doggiemom already has the ES100, and as much as i love the ES100 (an awesome, awesome piece of gear and support) i don't think it is fair fight :ksc75smile:, the Bluedac and Xdsd is more of a match. i use them strictly for home use though, for traveling i prefer the ES100 any day

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #35,008 of 75,343
@doggiemom already has the ES100, and as much as i love the ES100 (an awesome, awesome piece of gear and support) i don't think it is fair fight :ksc75smile:, the Bluedac and Xdsd is more of a match. i use them strictly for home use though, for traveling i prefer the ES100 any day

Right. I may have to break down and get me a real dac for my desktop one of these days!

Sep 15, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #35,009 of 75,343
Right. I may have to break down and get me a real dac for my desktop one of these days!

how's your zuperdac compared to the ES100? i rarely use any of my buds stationary on my workdesk, i often move around that's why i like bluetooth solution so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back