Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 12, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #34,771 of 75,351
Got out of the hi-end earbud game only to have her pull me right back in.

These are very intriguing for me. The airpod shape has always played very well with my ear shape, been waiting for a proper Chinese company (lol!) to tackle it.

Renderings look amazing but I'll have to see some unit pictures and get a few reviews before I take the plunge.

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #34,772 of 75,351
You bet!

They even blow some red smoke! :gs1000smile:
WOW, look at the photo chop.

O1CN011ESnTbk3OoPc7y7_!!125780351.jpg

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #34,774 of 75,351
Got out of the hi-end earbud game only to have her pull me right back in.

These are very intriguing for me. The airpod shape has always played very well with my ear shape, been waiting for a proper Chinese company (lol!) to tackle it.

Renderings look amazing but I'll have to see some unit pictures and get a few reviews before I take the plunge.

There are very good reviews on the Memt T5 which I have had for a few months. Very comfortable as well as sounding good. Very nice pod. Metal body. So, a proper Chinese company has tackled it... for the win!

The backs are even magnetic for tidy storage.

R0013510.JPG

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #34,778 of 75,351
You could order a CAX Red Dragon and ask for it to be custom tuned to resemble the Elear, it will set you pack a minimum of 700$~. That is the closest you will get if price is no object. If you want the cheapest then I would not go lower than the TO400s. I do not own the Elear but I have auditioned them for a day and yeah, that is what I am looking to buy in an earbud. They just sound...right. So i will say what the TO400s has in common with it since I own it: clarity, looks, dynamics, punchy, lively, realism, accuracy. Now do not imagine it will be the same as the Elear in those categories but I think its the cheapest sq you should go for that has an ounce of resemblance to the Elear. Also there something earbuds will never match the Elear in, bass.

So if money is no object I would say the Red Dragon since it is the only TOTL bud that you custom order depending on your taste. ( that I know of )

Yes, my Elears get the most head time (of full size cans) of all mine. The CAX is too rich for my blood, but the TO400s would be ok.

1. Do you have the TO400s, and if so, at 400OHM do you find it properly driven by a good DAP or would it need more of an amp, I guess driven by a phone need not apply? I have the AK100II and I would think that would be sufficient.

2. Would you say they are warm signature or are they with non-rolled off extended treble?

I see I can order it from Penon directly or from Penon on eBay. I guess it wouldn't make much difference, (direct or eBay), if I live in the USA.

TIA

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #34,779 of 75,351
Yes, my Elears get the most head time (of full size cans) of all mine. The CAX is too rich for my blood, but the TO400s would be ok.

1. Do you have the TO400s, and if so, at 400OHM do you find it properly driven by a good DAP or would it need more of an amp, I guess driven by a phone need not apply? I have the AK100II and I would think that would be sufficient.

2. Would you say they are warm signature or are they with non-rolled off extended treble?

I see I can order it from Penon directly or from Penon on eBay. I guess it wouldn't make much difference, (direct or eBay), if I live in the USA.
I and others have commented on the TO400 having weak bass (although it can be EQ'd). The TO200 is said to have more bass.

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #34,780 of 75,351

TIA

I use my TO400s with my Cayin i5 with plenty of headroom. Not sure how its specs compare to the AK100ii, but I think you're right that it would be fine.

I wouldn't personally classify their sound as being warm, but others may disagree. To me they have a very clear, energetic, and natural sound, but not overly warm. The treble sounds well extended to me without too much "zing" - it doesn't sound laid back or rolled off to me at all. I saw someone compare them (favorably) to the Grado house sound, and I tend to agree with that to a certain extent, though I would say they are much less harsh than some Grados I've experienced.

Edit: I would agree with the previous post that they are not strong in the bass department, though the bass that's there is very tuneful (it sounds nice) and well balanced.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #34,782 of 75,351
I use my TO400s with my Cayin i5 with plenty of headroom. Not sure how its specs compare to the AK100ii, but I think you're right that it would be fine.

I wouldn't personally classify their sound as being warm, but others may disagree. To me they have a very clear, energetic, and natural sound, but not overly warm. The treble sounds well extended to me without too much "zing" - it doesn't sound laid back or rolled off to me at all. I saw someone compare them (favorably) to the Grado house sound, and I tend to agree with that to a certain extent, though I would say they are much less harsh than some Grados I've experienced.

Edit: I would agree with the previous post that they are not strong in the bass department, though the bass that's there is very tuneful (it sounds nice) and well balanced.

You just described the Elear signature, clear and energetic. Sounds like I may have to try them. Thx!

BTW, in a pinch how would they sound out of a just a phone without external amp?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #34,784 of 75,351

TIA

1. I have them, they are driven ok even by my S7, Your AK100II is way more than sufficient.

2. It is a bit on the bright side. I do not know why some people say it doesnt have enough bass. It certainly has more than my Blur and while there isnt a big quantity , there is quality to it.

Do not get it from Penon if you decide to buy it, it is on sale on aliexpress for 75$

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #34,785 of 75,351
1. I have them, they are driven ok even by my S7, Your AK100II is way more than sufficient.

2. It is a bit on the bright side. I do not know why some people say it doesnt have enough bass. It certainly has more than my Blur and while there isnt a big quantity , there is quality to it.

Do not get it from Penon if you decide to buy it, it is on sale on aliexpress for 75$
It doesn't have enough bass. :)

(It really doesn't, it rolls off a bit early too in the sub bass)

WOW, look at the photo chop.

**** Employee
"If the girl is pretty enough they may not notice the horrible photoshop work"

Boss
"Let's go with it!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back