Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #34,501 of 75,879
i would not, unless you find the yincrow's a bit difficult to fit. This is one thing im noticing with them because they have no stem to make it easier to situate it in your ear.

Too late! Ordered the Datura-X in the middle of the night before we went to bed...after listening to my husbands pair for awhile

Yes, buds without stems are more difficult to fit for me... I love long stems on buds.

The Yincrow truly does have no stem. I had to get it though... because of the purple cable:)

R0013438.JPG

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #34,504 of 75,879

I used to work in Allen, TX, at a business next to ColorDynamics, where the Barney TV show got its start.
From the Barney & Friends Wikipedia page - "For several years, the show was taped at the Color Dynamics Studios facility at Greenville Avenue & Bethany Drive in Allen, Texas, after which it moved to The Studios at Las Colinas in Irving, Texas, and then Carrollton, a suburb of Dallas."

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #34,505 of 75,879
Agree on the sound of ZoomFred. What foams do you use? I tried different foams and then discovered that the best option for me is to use silicone rings with fins from the VE EX pack with the fins cut off. ZoomFred are the first earbuds that I think sound better without foams than with.

I have no problems with the cable. The lower part is a bit stiff but not too stiff to use out and about. From the Y splitter up the cable is soft and easy to use.

Currently, using VE thin foams. I did try the silicone rings with fins cutoff and it sounds very good but not sure yet if it'll be fatiguing for me over longer periods. Yea using a shirt clip, the stiff cable hasn't been an issue for me at all but I can understand if others don't want to do that (listening while nude?). I've been going about the house, doing laundry and dishes with no problem

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #34,506 of 75,879
Is the EMX500 still the best $15 earbud?

I'll take the Datura X for under 20 bucks

Not sure if Datura X would be the best option for me under $20. Just did some A/B between Datura and the EMX500S and there's a noticeable improvment in sound quality on the EMX500S. There's more clarity in vocals/treble, a bigger more immersive soundstage with deeper sub-bass. The Datura is a bit grainy in comparison. I love the the build quality and comfort of the housing and cables on the Datura for sure though. The other one that looks promising is Yincrow RW-9 but that's still on the way for me

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #34,507 of 75,879

Only used these for a few hours but the Zoomfred is incredible! Massive 3D soundstage, deep satisfying sub-bass, non-fatiguing, super smooth yet detailed. Just a unique analog signature. Can’t find any flaws in the sound. Only issue might be the stiff lower half of the cable but with the right shirt clip it’s really just as easy to use as anything else.

Did you get the regular driver or the upgraded one?

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #34,512 of 75,879
Not sure if Datura X would be the best option for me under $20. Just did some A/B between Datura and the EMX500S and there's a noticeable improvment in sound quality on the EMX500S. There's more clarity in vocals/treble, a bigger more immersive soundstage with deeper sub-bass. The Datura is a bit grainy in comparison. I love the the build quality and comfort of the housing and cables on the Datura for sure though. The other one that looks promising is Yincrow RW-9 but that's still on the way for me

i haven't heard of the EMX500S yet, the last time i did was the first EMX500. although it does sound great and might have a better extension, but it does give me ear fatigue to the point of ringing when i had them. the datura is just a more rounded package for me at the price. and better at longer listening session. also I'm bored of the usual plastic MX shell :ksc75smile:

besides, for what the EMX500 does, i have the Willsound MK2 that does it better

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #34,514 of 75,879
i haven't heard of the EMX500S yet, the last time i did was the first EMX500. although it does sound great and might have a better extension, but it does give me ear fatigue to the point of ringing when i had them. the datura is just a more rounded package for me at the price. and better at longer listening session. also I'm bored of the usual plastic MX shell :ksc75smile:

besides, for what the EMX500 does, i have the Willsound MK2 that does it better

I hear you about the MX shell thing, not my favorite type but they keep making them! I had the EMX500 a long time ago and didn't like it, got rid of it, so I never really considered the EMX500S until recently and it's quite a step up from the old one. Just better all around sound; separation, imaging, transparency and especially sound stage. Goes on sale around $10 once in a while so it's quite a bit cheaper than the Willsound. I have MK2.2 version (which has less bass as yours) but sound quality between the two is closer than you'd expect for the price, I might even say the 500S is smoother and more full bodied with deeper sub-bass but don't have it with me at the moment to compare.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #34,515 of 75,879
At the moment, absolutely yes.

What foams are you using with them?

I just recently discovered the packs of foams I ordered with my Monk+ came with two different thicknesses. Started using the thin ones, sound and comfort got significantly better. Since TM9 uses the same housing I was hoping that thin foams are best with it. I find thicker foams increase bass but recess the mids, I don't like recessed sound.

Agree on the sound of ZoomFred. What foams do you use? I tried different foams and then discovered that the best option for me is to use silicone rings with fins from the VE EX pack with the fins cut off. ZoomFred are the first earbuds that I think sound better without foams than with.

I have no problems with the cable. The lower part is a bit stiff but not too stiff to use out and about. From the Y splitter up the cable is soft and easy to use.

My pair of TM9 arrived in Sweden on the 31st of August and still are in customs. In the last few years the Swedish postal service has truly gotten worse and worse each day. Hopefully I will get the TM9 before October. If they are not lost in customs or by PostNord.

Just imagine! 3 days from Thailand to Sweden. 7-8 times longer time than that for the Swedish postal service to deliver them!

I saw you post and was hoping you got your TM9 by now! :frowning2:

Hope you get them soon.

Yea using a shirt clip, the stiff cable hasn't been an issue for me at all but I can understand if others don't want to do that (listening while nude?)

The struggle is real, 95% of my listening is in the nude.

I'm on the fence between the Zoomfred and TM9. They are identical in price. @ClieOS have you heard Zoomfred? How do they compare to your TM9 (sound wise)? I know you hate complicated cables.

Does the Zoomfred use the same MX500 shell as the Monk+?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back