Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #33,181 of 75,317
I thought the difference between rev1 and rev2 only was the cable, so the vjc-cable version is not based on either. Rholupat also don't mention a "rev".

Is this wrong, do you know if the drivers also were changed?

Not just the cable, but also slight tuning difference on the shell itself. Not much though.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #33,182 of 75,317
I thought the difference between rev1 and rev2 only was the cable, so the vjc-cable version is not based on either. Rholupat also don't mention a "rev".

Is this wrong, do you know if the drivers also were changed?

Theres no "Revs", it was constructed by some of us who owned the earlier mk series to differentiate between the older and newer mks.

The drivers are the ones used on the current mk1, the copper vjc cable is new and looks pleasing to me aesthically. Hopefully it will sound different too !

Adding on, soundwise the newer mks sound cleaner and more articulate than the earlier ones. Progress yayyy!

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #33,183 of 75,317
Theres no "Revs", it was constructed by some of us who owned the earlier mk series to differentiate between the older and newer mks.

The drivers are the ones used on the current mk1, the copper vjc cable is new and looks pleasing to me aesthically. Hopefully it will sound different too !

Adding on, soundwise the newer mks sound cleaner and more articulate than the earlier ones. Progress yayyy!

When I bought mine (red with red cable) it was listed on the Rholupat site as MK1 Rev.2.

http://www.rholupat.com/willsound-mk1-rev-2.html

Love my red MK1 but that new vjc one also looks great. I bet you will love it!

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #33,184 of 75,317
I've just received my Nicehck EBX earbuds and am very pleased. Beautifully crafted with a very pleasing sound signature (at least for me). They'll be great for when I want to travel light.
You'll see I've added some BudLoks which work perfectly to keep the earbuds in place when I wear them over ear. Had a go on the daughters trampoline and they still didn't fall out!!

Big thanks to everyone posting in this forum as it was a huge help when deciding which earbuds to purchase.

Nicehck EBX-01.jpg Nicehck EBX-02.jpg

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #33,185 of 75,317
Let's say if both earbuds, being exactly the same model, design and make, except one comes in 32ohms and the other 150ohms. What kind of sound change can one expect from the two just from the difference in impedance?

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #33,186 of 75,317
I find the higher the ohms the bigger earbuds become more like full size headphones in sound. They need a decent amp to drive them though.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #33,187 of 75,317
I find the higher the ohms the bigger earbuds become more like full size headphones in sound

I don't really have much experience with higher impedance earphones, but I'm currently deciding between a 32ohm or 150ohm Astrotec Lyra Collection...

Here's my dilemma:

32ohms

+ Cheaper price
+ Easily powered by mobile devices (better to travel with?)
- Might not sound as good as compared to 150ohms when amped

150ohms
+ Should sound better with desktop setup (as compared to 32ohms)
+ Highest end model (need not worry about upgrading later)
- Expensive
- Requires amplification to perform

That being said, I'm unsure if I will bring earbuds when commuting or travelling due to the lack of isolation...
Maybe the higher impedance of 150ohm, used with my Chord Mojo and MacBook Pro is a better choice?

Decisions, decisions...

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #33,188 of 75,317
I don't really have much experience with higher impedance earphones, but I'm currently deciding between a 32ohm or 150ohm Astrotec Lyra Collection...

Here's my dilemma:

32ohms

+ Cheaper price
+ Easily powered by mobile devices (better to travel with?)
- Might not sound as good as compared to 150ohms when amped

150ohms
+ Should sound better with desktop setup (as compared to 32ohms)
+ Highest end model (need not worry about upgrading later)
- Expensive
- Requires amplification to perform

That being said, I'm unsure if I will bring earbuds when commuting or travelling due to the lack of isolation...
Maybe the higher impedance of 150ohm, used with my Chord Mojo and MacBook Pro is a better choice?

Decisions, decisions...

The difference more resistance does for the er4 was that it slightly increased the upper mids and treble to give a better sense of clarity and let more details in.

That said, if they are exactly the same except for the ohm rating, another option might be to get the lower resistance one and get a resistor adapter, like the er4p to s converter. UE also makes one, and aliexpress sells a bunch too with different resistance ratings.

That would give you the option of both.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #33,189 of 75,317
The difference more resistance does for the er4 was that it slightly increased the upper mids and treble to give a better sense of clarity and let more details in.

That said, if they are exactly the same except for the ohm rating, another option might be to get the lower resistance one and get a resistor adapter, like the er4p to s converter. UE also makes one, and aliexpress sells a bunch too with different resistance ratings.

I actually bought an impedance adapter (75ohms) to use with one of my earphones... but found that the sound is actually not the same as compared to the original higher ohm version of the same earphones that my friend had. It's very odd because I myself used to own the ER4P with the S adapter... and that didn't alter the sound as compared to an original ER4S...

Could it possible be an earphone vs IEM thing when it comes to using impedance adapters? It could also be that my adapter is faulty, or having a default higher ohm version is better than adding an impedance adapter?

But nonetheless, your suggestion is pretty good and worth considering!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #33,190 of 75,317
Let's say if both earbuds, being exactly the same model, design and make, except one comes in 32ohms and the other 150ohms. What kind of sound change can one expect from the two just from the difference in impedance?

I actually bought an impedance adapter (75ohms) to use with one of my earphones... but found that the sound is actually not the same as compared to the original higher ohm version of the same earphones that my friend had. It's very odd because I myself used to own the ER4P with the S adapter... and that didn't alter the sound as compared to an original ER4S...

Could it possible be an earphone vs IEM thing when it comes to using impedance adapters? It could also be that my adapter is faulty, or having a default higher ohm version is better than adding an impedance adapter?

But nonetheless, your suggestion is pretty good and worth considering!

if what you mean like for instance the Puresound lines, Ty Hi Z, Seahf, or the K's which all have number coding to identify it's impedance, then no, they are not the same models because each have different types of drivers. it's not something in the cables that make them power hungry, but the drivers itself.

it is different from using an impedance adapter, because that will only load the cables, starving the driver so that it can be pushed with a higher volume before it vibrates or give the same volume to it without the impedance adapter. the high impedance headphones/earphones overall just have a higher headroom to play, so they usually will have a lower noise floor (resulting in blacker background) than the low impedance earphones. that's why adding 200 ohms to K's 300 will not make it sound like K's 500.

on BA drivers (like the ER4), using impedance adapter usually gives it a brighter tone because the bass lessened.
while on the dynamic drivers, it usually gives it a more mellow and softer tone, especially on the treble.
so using both IEMs and earbuds with dynamic drivers using impedance adapter will give the same tone result

i do like having an impedance adapter lying around. i think of them as another way to EQ and give colour to the sound

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #33,191 of 75,317
if what you mean like for instance the Puresound lines, Ty Hi Z, Seahf, or the K's which all have number coding to identify it's impedance, then no, they are not the same models because each have different types of drivers. it's not something in the cables that make them power hungry, but the drivers itself.

it is different from using an impedance adapter, because that will only load the cables, starving the driver so that it can be pushed with a higher volume before it vibrates or give the same volume to it without the impedance adapter. the high impedance headphones/earphones overall just have a higher headroom to play, so they usually will have a lower noise floor (resulting in blacker background) than the low impedance earphones. that's why adding 200 ohms to K's 300 will not make it sound like K's 500.

on BA drivers (like the ER4), using impedance adapter usually gives it a brighter tone because the bass lessened.
while on the dynamic drivers, it usually gives it a more mellow and softer tone, especially on the treble.
so using both IEMs and earbuds with dynamic drivers using impedance adapter will give the same tone result

i do like having an impedance adapter lying around. i think of them as another way to EQ and give colour to the sound

Thanks for sharing! I asked the seller if the 32ohm vs 150ohm version has a big difference in sound, and they merely replied "yes" without much elaboration...

Guess I'll have to make a decision by blind faith!

Edit: Seller directed me to HF reviews... Guess there's also not much reviews online as most are recycled from blogs...

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #33,192 of 75,317
Naturally there would have to be slight driver variations to allow the impendance change so its difficult to say that they can be exactly the same but you can imagine the main benefit would be that the higher impendance allows more powerful sources to utilise that power.

It seems most of the higher end daps and dac/amps are more powerful so that may be why people consider higher impendance an advantage, rather than the driver itself being sonically superior? Just my understanding from opinions I’ve read. Although I’ve also heard opinions that the drivers with higher impendance allow for lower distortion but that’s not fully agreed upon.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #33,193 of 75,317
Naturally there would have to be slight driver variations to allow the impendance change so its difficult to say that they can be exactly the same but you can imagine the main benefit would be that the higher impendance allows more powerful sources to utilise that power.

It seems most of the higher end daps and dac/amps are more powerful so that may be why people consider higher impendance an advantage, rather than the driver itself being sonically superior? Just my understanding from opinions I’ve read. Although I’ve also heard opinions that the drivers with higher impendance allow for lower distortion but that’s not fully agreed upon.

Guess 'll have to think about it and try and read up more about the effects of impedance... I still have a few more days to consider my choices...

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #33,195 of 75,317
Surprised to find that I like the Zen LL better than the Zen L or the ZOE. :thinking: They just have a fun sound with big bass that is great for cheesy summer pop songs.

@DBaldock9 I ran through some test tracks with the K's Samsara, 500 and 600........ I have a few pages of notes on them, but still need to put into a coherent post.

Man, I bought a ZOE and received this Zen LL. OMG! They sound much better that the ZOE. Everything (lows, mids and highs) is better in LL. I need it in Omega Version. The sound is magic. I'm thinking in buying a RA only to get another pair of LL to have a backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back