Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #29,521 of 75,467
@H.L. : No worries, I just want to 鍛える my language skill. By the way, Do you know the exact meaning of 「ドンシャリ」 and 「メリハリ」? I often see these words in earphone reviews.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #29,522 of 75,467
Hey I’m mainly an IEM guy but I want to get into earbuds.

I just ordered some monk+ and monk lite. But I’m wondering what is the recommendations for earbuds at the $25 price point? And at $50?

My source is my laptop, iPhone 6, and iPad Air.

Mostly listen to EDM.

I like the **** model that has detachable cables. Is that a good buy?

There are good options for cheap around $10, like emxs-500 or faael snow lotus 2.0 on aliexpress

$25 area is really up for debate, but for just under $50 shipped willsound mk2 has to be one of the best options. Plenty of people love them on earbuds anonymous on facebook...dont think many have them here, but they just blow all my expectations away. The new mk1 might be good if you want a warmer sound too...I just ordered that one days ago.

http://www.rholupat.com/custom-earphone/willsound-mk2-new-batch.html

Mar 29, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #29,523 of 75,467
@H.L. : No worries, I just want to 鍛える my language skill. By the way, Do you know the exact meaning of 「ドンシャリ」 and 「メリハリ」? I often see these words in earphone reviews.

>>「ドンシャリ」 and 「メリハリ」
It is the term of the music industry. These words mean that both treble and bass are strong.The midrange is weak.
ドン = Onomatopoeia of bass
シャリ = Onomatopoeia of treble

Onomatopoeia of dog's bark
English「bow wow」
Japanese「ワンワン」

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #29,524 of 75,467
>>「ドンシャリ」 and 「メリハリ」
It is the term of the music industry. These words mean that both treble and bass are strong.The midrange is weak.
ドン = Onomatopoeia of bass
シャリ = Onomatopoeia of treble

Onomatopoeia of dog's bark
English「bow wow」
Japanese「ワンワン」
Thanks, I've been looking for Japanese earbuds thread for a long time.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #29,526 of 75,467
Hiya, the top link (cheaper version) is the one that nobody here appears to like very much. I do not have these so cannot comment personally.
The second link and more expensive ones are the 1st version, and are at about half price is the sale. Now I do have these and whilst members here have split opinions on this one, I personally do own them and like them very much (I have the clear shell with copper wire). I would recommend them at this price, but as others have shared their dislike for the sound I would not like to take responsibility if you end up hating them, so take my opinion as mine alone.
I hope this helps?

Mar 29, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #29,527 of 75,467
Well I'm not buying a thing from this sale. Just bought @zeta555 's Poseiden.

thanks man, hope you like it!

Here is my impression on Dragon 2+.(= SWD2+)

As far as overall sound signature goes, SWD2+ is just about neutral and leaning a bit toward the bright side. Bass is borderline average in quantity, and probably the only weak spot of the whole sound and definitely not a good choice for anyone who demands good bass in their music. mid-range is neither sweet nor distanced, far enough to give a sense of space but not so much that it takes away the texture. Treble is crisp and well extended, has good detail and fairly bright, but not so much that it becomes hash. The strength of SWD+, however, lies in its soundstage - it is not the widest I have ever heard (Rose Mojito still holds that title), but it is definitely the deepest. Most earbuds can render width just fine but not so much in depth, and thus soundstage tends to be more oval in the X-axis. Before SWD2+, the only other earbud that can render depth as good as width is the Blox TM7, which gives TM7's presentation a very 3D and life-like quality. SDW2+, in comparison, can also render this kind of 3D-rounded-sphere-like soundstage, but in even bigger size. That allows for a very immersive experience that no other earbuds (with the exception of TM7) can give, almost like you are in the middle of the stage performing rather than just a front seat listener. For that, it deserves a spot among the other flagship level ToTL earbuds.

On a side note, SWD2+ sounds fairly similar in either single-ended or balanced configuration. While bass does get tighten up slightly, it really doesn't change the overall tonal balance. But it seems SWD2+ only comes in balanced 2.5mm plug with 3.5mm adapter, so you should be covered whether you want to use it on a balanced source or not.
well, that's definitely not my cup of tea.

as that i don't have any more earbuds in my possession. i'm signing of from this thread. maybe i'll be back if there's something interesting. lol

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #29,530 of 75,467
@HungryPanda Any chance you can give me a quick comparison of the Masya sub bass vs the TO400s sub bass? Does the Toneking extend low like the Masya?

Is the texture and control good? I like the Masya’s quality in the bass.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #29,531 of 75,467
The Masya is an incredibly good earbud, the Toneking TO400s goes just as deep but has more "punch" the Masya has a more airy top end. It's a bit like comparing a planar magnetic to a stax electrostat headphone really

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #29,532 of 75,467
The Masya is an incredibly good earbud, the Toneking TO400s goes just as deep but has more "punch" the Masya has a more airy top end. It's a bit like comparing a planar magnetic to a stax electrostat headphone really
Perfect response thanks

Mar 29, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #29,533 of 75,467
I was comparing my Masya to my HD540ii last night and it was astonishing how similar the sound signatures are. The 540 having the edge on details and treble extension but the bass response was very similar.

It’s just funny how I could dislike it with one foam and now I change it and my opinion changes completely.

Mar 29, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #29,534 of 75,467
Another choice will be VX Pro, also from MoonDrop. It has an even more neutral sound than liebesleid, but not as grand or refined a presentation. However, it is still an excellent choice for classical music IMO.

I really enjoy the $29 2017 New NICEHCK DIY Graphene Earbud, and the VX Pro's are at around the right price for me. I listen mainly to progressive rock, rock, trance, and I am hoping that the VX's would satisfy. If you or anyone else has any further opinions (or other options around the same price), then I'm all ears. Thanks.

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #29,535 of 75,467
Hiya, the top link (cheaper version) is the one that nobody here appears to like very much. I do not have these so cannot comment personally.
The second link and more expensive ones are the 1st version, and are at about half price is the sale. Now I do have these and whilst members here have split opinions on this one, I personally do own them and like them very much (I have the clear shell with copper wire). I would recommend them at this price, but as others have shared their dislike for the sound I would not like to take responsibility if you end up hating them, so take my opinion as mine alone.
I hope this helps?

The split opinions seem bizarre to me - almost like people are listening to different earbuds. Anyway, if mine broke I would instantly buy another pair since I like mine so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back