Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #27,931 of 75,879
How are the auglamour rx-1 compared to monk plus?

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #27,932 of 75,879
I just wanted to say thank you.....
I never normally ask stupid questions like ‘what should I choose from A, B, X phone’ as I research everything and make my decision from what I gather.
However, I wanted another dip into the the higher end of buds and decided that £80 was the max I was going to spend. So, I decided that I had a decision to make between of the Rose Masya, K’s 500 and the BS1, all of which tickled an urge in some way or another.
And just as I was sitting here, on a Friday evening getting slowly more inebriated and listening to some tunes and debating again whether I would ask the eternally stupid question of ‘hey guys and gals, which one would you choose’ you very kindly make my mind up with an inciteful and like minded post.
Kudos and thanks.
Now if I could find my bloody wallet. Where did the missus hide it?????
I personally think the Masya is better for classical and if you enjoy a bright signature (bass isn’t compromised thanks to dual driver) with excellent extension and big soundstage (that resembles a hall, so not pinpoint imaging but good enough) and forward mids that are clear and ‘light’ sounding.

BS1 is more flat with a slight mid bass bump and more neutral tonality with decent extension (not as good as the masya) but with more laid back mids (in line not recessed) with more texture and fuller bodied vocals. Imaging is perfect, literally 10/10. Soundstage is nicely 3D and medium large.

Just don’t want you assuming masya doesn’t stand up to the bs1 for everyone. I initially couldn’t warm to the masya but i changed the foams around a few times and now I think it’s on par with the bs1 each with strengths but both are very versatile overall. I like them both for different genres.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #27,933 of 75,879
I had a Cowon J3 that I would probably still be using had the power button not snapped on me (like they were known to do unfortunately). That remains my favorite DAP that I've tried; it was so good.

I was wondering if the new Plenue J is supposed to be a replacement for the J3. Haven’t looked for comparisons.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #27,935 of 75,879
Way higher resolution/detail. More neutral tonality. They need a good seal to bring out the sub bass, but it is there.
How are the mids compared to eachother? I hear the monks are more mid forward

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #27,936 of 75,879
How are the mids compared to eachother? I hear the monks are more mid forward
Both slightly forward. Monks are warmer mids, rx1 dead neutral.

Monks probably handle acoustic slightly better but rx1 will push more detail and cleaner vocals.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #27,937 of 75,879
Thanks, I did mean the Mx500.

Another bud I'm thinking about picking up after reading reviews is the TY Hi-Z HP-650. It sounds like quite the experience, especially for the form factor.
HP-650 is a good all arounder, I have using them daily at work (idsd micro bl) for the last few months. I will say compared to other TOTL they sound a tad thin in the mid range, but have a nice balance id say from top to bottom. This is my happy medium between Shozy BK and Zen 2.0. Just bear in mind it is 650ohms.. Needs a pretty good amp to drive to full potential.

Listening to some EDM right now and it sounds nice and airy with good imaging and separation, decent bass extension (no midbass hump, which I prefer). To be honest I listen to this earbud more than any other I own, it doesnt really have any faults aside from the hi-z.

Definitely recommended for a TOTL collection.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #27,938 of 75,879
I was wondering if the new Plenue J is supposed to be a replacement for the J3. Haven’t looked for comparisons.
If so, IMO it's not the best replacement; read here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cowon-plenue-j.22835/reviews

I mean it's nice, but not $400-500 nice, not in my opinion.

HP-650 is a good all arounder, I have using them daily at work (idsd micro bl) for the last few months. I will say compared to other TOTL they sound a tad thin in the mid range, but have a nice balance id say from top to bottom. This is my happy medium between Shozy BK and Zen 2.0. Just bear in mind it is 650ohms.. Needs a pretty good amp to drive to full potential.

Listening to some EDM right now and it sounds nice and airy with good imaging and separation, decent bass extension (no midbass hump, which I prefer). To be honest I listen to this earbud more than any other I own, it doesnt really have any faults aside from the hi-z.

Definitely recommended for a TOTL collection.
That's good to hear :) I've heard conflicting things about them, but I found them on eBay practically mint for ~$95 instead of their usual $120-126, so I thought "why not?"

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #27,939 of 75,879
I personally think the Masya is better for classical and if you enjoy a bright signature (bass isn’t compromised thanks to dual driver) with excellent extension and big soundstage (that resembles a hall, so not pinpoint imaging but good enough) and forward mids that are clear and ‘light’ sounding.

BS1 is more flat with a slight mid bass bump and more neutral tonality with decent extension (not as good as the masya) but with more laid back mids (in line not recessed) with more texture and fuller bodied vocals. Imaging is perfect, literally 10/10. Soundstage is nicely 3D and medium large.

Just don’t want you assuming masya doesn’t stand up to the bs1 for everyone. I initially couldn’t warm to the masya but i changed the foams around a few times and now I think it’s on par with the bs1 each with strengths but both are very versatile overall. I like them both for different genres.
Thank you Sean,
Classical is never a genre I listen to, and although I know that the Masya is not a one trick pony and will suit different styles, I was still wary due to a few differing views. The majority of music I listen to is electronic, dance and chill, and whilst I buy my phones to give me varying sounds signatures to appreciate my music in different ways, there are certain basics I adhere to.
Do you think that the Masya would still be a branch I would enjoy (good sub bass, vibrant forward mids for those vocals, extended smooth highs) over the BS1’s?
I just can’t help getting caught up in the hype for these at the moment!

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #27,940 of 75,879
Is that price quote a record of what you paid, or an offer? :wink:

But seriously: I've heard some people say that the HP-650 reminds them (sound sig-wise) of the (Sennheiser) HD-650s; would you say that's a viable thing to say, or no?
I personally haven't heard the Sennheiser HD-650, but owned the HD-600's and would say they are more less very similar in signature with maybe a tad more low end on the HP-650 (than HD-600). If the HD-650 sounds like the 600 with more bass, then yes I would say that is pretty accurate reference.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #27,941 of 75,879
I personally haven't heard the Sennheiser HD-650, but owned the HD-600's and would say they are more less very similar in signature with maybe a tad more low end on the HP-650 (than HD-600). If the HD-650 sounds like the 600 with more bass, then yes I would say that is pretty accurate reference.
Wow, you're saying the earbuds have more bass than the full-size cans? :hushed:

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #27,942 of 75,879
@seanc6441 now that my friend's BS1 has arrived. I've not yet to audition it, but two of my trusted friend have been raving about them.. now I'm worried that I'd get 90 dollars lighter on the wallet. when that happens, I'm blaming you for it :laughing:

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #27,943 of 75,879
Wow, you're saying the earbuds have more bass than the full-size cans? :hushed:
Sorry, let me rephrase.. If the HP-650 was a full size headphone it would have more low end than the HD-600.

Feb 2, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #27,944 of 75,879
Just got the VE Monk Lite 120Ohms in with SPC cable. They are surprisingly quite good! I'm impressed for the price. They are more balanced than the VE Monk+ and less mid-forward, which is a good thing for me. They are very laid back ear buds, and surprisingly have some sparkle and can get some bass quantity (though not super controlled - great for the price range though) with donut pads on. I haven't tried them with full pads yet, because I think they are pretty laid back as is. Without pads, the low end is pretty anemic.

They take a bit more to drive than Monks, as expected. These things really are light and smaller than the monks.

I'll have to listen to these and masyas side-by-side later. I dont think these have nearly the clarity or separation those do, but I do prefer this sound signature over the Monks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back