Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 27, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #27,616 of 75,341
@chinmie : Cross Lampda Audio made it for personal use. He lent me try around 2 week. You might ask him info via his Facebook fanpage.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #27,620 of 75,341
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #27,623 of 75,341
ksearphone2.JPG
ksearphone.JPG
ksearphone3.JPG
these k's earphone look so beautiful!!

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #27,624 of 75,341
Does someone have any opinion or experience with the **** PT15.
Im considering whether buy these or the headroom ms16.

I find the MS16 to be nothing special.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #27,625 of 75,341
Hello, a question to all the earbud veterans here - what would you consider the best upgrade from the TY HI-Z 32 ohm, in the < $20 range?

I'm very new to earbuds, and they're not my primary interest at all, but they've proven the best choice for office use. They offer just enough isolation t hear the music fine, and also hear co-workers. Additionally, earbuds are easier to put on/off frequently than IEMs or headphones. I've bought the TY HI-Z as a very cheap 1st choice to test them, and after more than half a year they've served me wonderfully and I was thinking of leveling up the game slightly.

I've set my eyes on the **** PT15 for various reasons: price, looks, detachable cables and positive reviews regarding sound.

I'm not a bass- nor treble-head, but I don't mind a slightly V-shaped signature. Brightness also hasn't bothered me so far. If I had to choose between the lows and highs, I would prefer a slight bump in the general bass area rather then the highs. My favorite IEM is the Tin Audio T2 (unmodded), while for full-sized headphones the ATH-M30 completely satisfies me. As for my preferred music genres, I'm quite eclectic: I've got stuff from death metal to jazz in my library, and listen to it according to my mood that day.

Based on all this, would you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance, all!

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #27,627 of 75,341
question..
1.can you re-cable hifiman es100?
2. Anyone has listen to sharp MD earbud? good cheap budget or trash?
I quite like the sharp md, and prefer them to the vidos. It has better sub bass, clearer mids and tighter, but less mid bass than the vidos. Similar (trash) build quality to the vidos tho

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #27,628 of 75,341
I'm late to reply to this...and still a newbie so forgive this if it's a dumb reply, but have you considered a Lightning DAC for your iPhone? I use a Blucoil Aqua which draws power from the lightning port and thus is pretty small. It uses Wolfson DACs versus Cirrus Logic in the iPhone so has a slightly different sound signature. I don't have too many headphones or more power needy earbuds, but it drives my old Sennheiser 540s pretty nicely.
Hey I did consider this but ultimately it was too inconvenient to carry my phone and a dac in my pocket if I wanted to use it as a portable and decided to go the route of audiophile smartphone instead.

Thanks for the suggestion though I’d definitely consider trying a wolfson dac or other non sabre dac’s as so far my experience with the sabre’s has been mixed.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #27,629 of 75,341
... In 2021 people who are into quaint vintage tech who want to know how the iSine compares to earbuds will be reading this thread.

There was a guy in the sale foums sometime in the last couple months or so selling an LCDi4 and some other high end planar earbuds that I'd never heard of (and couldn't afford anyway). And no I don't mean the Monoprice iFakes Provided that wasn't you, maybe you can find something useful in those posts, for research purposes if nothing else.

I might just keep my iSine for that day :D

And no, it wasn't me - I've yet to find the thread... not sure I want to hear about those other high-end planar buds yet though, not being able to afford them either...

I cannot stop praising Cypherus, another tiny Indonesia DIY earbud maker, which hits my sweet spot with all their different earbuds: from the fun and full sounding CampFred and the even more complete follow up CF2, to the mids king QFred (amazingly sweet mids), to the neutral king CAX Black, to the king of kings Red Dragon.

And that's just low impedance earbuds. There's another world when it comes to high impedance ones...

Just checked out the Cypherus website. Should I be glad there are no prices, let alone 'order' buttons? But I'm listening. The CF2 and CAX Black are on my radar now. And sweet mids did you say?

And impedance was never an impediment... just saying :wink:

YES! You’re comment gave me the idea to use the VE Ex pack full foams (they look very similar in composition to these ATH foams, they must be less dense than stock Masya foams but still medium density.

Now the tonality is the right amount of brightness!!!

That's good to know. If I ever cave and get the Masya, I might find a use for all those VE full foams sitting around!

Has anyone received their Monk Lite 120? Curious as to their sound quality and size.

Do you mean the 120 ohm Monk Lite with the regular white cable? First impressions - I like its tuning better than the Monk Plus. The mids are where the most obvious difference lies so far imo - the 120's mids are brighter, clearer and more spacious. Switching back to the Plus, its mids are noticeably warmer, thicker and 'honkier' (to borrow a term from the iSine thread). The higher impedance shows - it's generally tighter and more controlled across all frequencies. I'd say that the 120's tuning is a step towards the Asura (but with more bass) but the Asura is more than comfortably ahead in detail and resolution imo.

I find the Lite a little on the small side. I use the Asura without foams and they fit me well, but I need at least thin foams on the Monk Lite for them to stay in my ears when I lie down. They're apparently tuned to be used with foams anyway...

Jan 27, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #27,630 of 75,341
These monk lite (40) becoming my favorite. Very balanced, no wrong sound. At first they fell out too easily, then I found some rubber rings from ex pack (monks>thin foams>ring> another thin foam=bliss). Tried to do some comparison with other earbuds but everytime I put monks can't take them out. And 120 version to me has nice warmed up bass to mids but there seems to be some issues up top. Not sure why no hype for 40s, maybe everyone has already monk+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back