Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #25,501 of 75,273
After testing for 2 days with the EMX500 and the the new graphenes (10hz-22000hz), the graphenes seem to be tuned for a big sound with emphasis on the soundstage, very much like the monks plus, but of course they are better than the monks in every way and they likely seem to perform better with audiophile sources and more expensive hardware or dedicated amps.
the emx500 is suited for a wide variety of common sources ( youtube, brrip movies and mp3) probably because of their texture or colored sound

i will describe the new graphenes as trying to reproduce the source sound in a big way but as close to the natural source as possible

After all, was the problem the shortage of burning in?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #25,502 of 75,273
@Rendster To answer that question, it depends what you plan on doing with this hobby and what your priorities are. The benefit of spending more on the dap instead of the earbud is most felt if you plan on buying more than just one earbud as it would be an upgrade for all future purchases. There's also diminishing returns in respect to earphones and really all gear, so a simplified argument would be that a $30 earbud might get you 80% of what a $150 earbud can do. If you are planning on getting one earbud and leaving it at that, I personally would spend the greater amount on the earbud than the dap after doing a lot of research, because a TOTL earbud can still sound phenomenal out of a normal phone.

For example, I love the sound of my CampFred which is at least on par with BK out of my LG G6 (not the quad dac version which annoys me that it's not readily available in the US). Yes, it sounds better out of my Shanling M1, not to mention Opus #1, Chord Mojo or iDSD Black label. However, I have zero qualms using it on any source I own.

Really, there is no simple answer on which is better like some might have you believe, but it's only really answered on what you value most. All we can do is advise you based off our own priorities.

Thanks for the input! Everything is quite clear to me now. Have to set my priorities first before choosing. Everyone, have a nice day ahead! Well, maybe night? (different timezone)

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #25,504 of 75,273
@Rendster : In earbuds, you still have to concern of fitting issues which is individual case by case. Some said it is perfect fit for their ears, it might poor fit on your ears. Moreover for the people who have apparently asymmetric ear-shape or heavily small ear shape, they have no choice but go to IEM instead. Second, if you like to play on TOTL earbuds with High Ohm impedance. Please consider middle-to-high end 2.5 or 4.4 mm. balanced DAPs first. Even Hifi Phone can't play well with 600-650 Ohm earbuds. Again TOTL earbuds have both low and high impedance. If you don't wanna get balanced DAPs, there still are low ohm TOTL earbuds choice for you. Anyhow, do prioritise based on your life-style and budgets first.

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #25,505 of 75,273
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #25,506 of 75,273
Wow, the mini hype train surrounding the kineras is REAL! I finally received my kinera earbuds, #29...I was worried about some bass anemia, but my god what a composed and balanced sound. The slight tinge of brightness plays perfectly with a warm source like a cayin n3, leaving me very happy with a nice detailed sound with great tonality for the price, with a huge soundstage I didnt think yuin shells could produce.

I was enjoying my emxs-500 straight from my iphone as well! Great bass and imaging for a spotify iphone, these will be my iphone buds for sure. They also sound balanced and slightly bassier than kineras, but the kineras seem to be a little cut above as an entire package, considering theyre near twice the price. I'll need more time to burn and and discern differences, but i'm very happy thus far :)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #25,511 of 75,273
@chellity they need to make more so I can get another pair as backup!

Definitely! In my book, they've already proven they can make a worthy earbud with this build quality, beautiful green shell, and composed sound. Hopefully they're already planning on moving these to production considering they sold out fairly quickly. I'd be interested in seeing what they could do with a mx500 shell as well, considering the soundstage/tuning they pulled out of the smaller yuin..

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #25,513 of 75,273
again my thoughts on the new graphenes, theough i like their big sound and spacious soundstage, i fidn them unsuitable for music listening especially if the music is processed music. they may do well for movies or concerts

It may also mean it needs the real intruments type of music such as classic, jazz and strings to name a few. I agreed about the processed music though.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #25,515 of 75,273
It may also mean it needs the real intruments type of music such as classic, jazz and strings to name a few. I agreed about the processed music though.

probably, their lack of ample sub bass and vibrant mids mean they cant do processed electronic music well . nto to say they are bad, but i feel they are made for a different type of listener. the type that wants that wow effect, not an audiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back