Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #25,403 of 75,341
I guess you've seen that Graphene is useful for things other than earbud drivers... :ksc75smile:

https://www.mnn.com/green-tech/rese...can-hold-weight-human-after-drinking-graphene

spiderweb.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #25,404 of 75,341
I also received the newest NiceHCK Graphenes today, with brown cable. I first ordered the original Graphenes but cancelled that order.

For initial impression I would say that these do not sound very engaging. Yes, the soundstage is wide, maybe too wide for my liking. There seems to be some sort of veil between the listener and the music that is playing (at least with foams on). These do come with foams on out of the box.

The bass (as a instrument) sounds quite bland, even PK2 is more engaging in that area IMO. Maybe I have to order the original Graphenes so I can compare, or PK2s. :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #25,405 of 75,341
I also received the newest NiceHCK Graphenes today, with brown cable. I first ordered the original Graphenes but cancelled that order.

For initial impression I would say that these do not sound very engaging. Yes, the soundstage is wide, maybe too wide for my liking. There seems to be some sort of veil between the listener and the music that is playing (at least with foams on). These do come with foams on out of the box.

The bass (as a instrument) sounds quite bland, even PK2 is more engaging in that area IMO. Maybe I have to order the original Graphenes so I can compare, or PK2s. :)
My issue with the original graphene (other than the vocals being slightly harsh/grainy and not emphasised for clarity. Is that they can sound a bit sloppy in the mids. Like they didn’t quite tune the mids as well as the lows and highs and you’re left with a less refined midrange than say the diy pk2 which has better mid range runing but less bass quantity. Veil is pretty good description of the vocals imo, they don’t excite you and lack a certain presence in the ear.

Maybe poor tuning is not the issue as much as the derivers capabilities being more suitable to adequately handling all frequencies but missing out on a certain quality in mids and vocals that I prefer. They are more well rounded than the diy pk2 but less refined and natural in the mid range.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #25,406 of 75,341
My issue with the original graphene (other than the vocals being slightly harsh/grainy and not emphasised for clarity. Is that they can sound a bit sloppy in the mids. Like they didn’t quite tune the mids as well as the lows and highs and you’re left with a less refined midrange than say the diy pk2 which has better mid range runing but less bass quantity.

Good to know. My problem with PK2 is that it is somewhat lacking in bass quantity and doesn't go that low, otherwise I like it (I don't want to mod it). I alternate it with Yincrow X6 and most of time I find myself listening to Yincrow for some reason...maybe it is just more engaging and foot tapping experience.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #25,407 of 75,341
Good to know. My problem with PK2 is that it is somewhat lacking in bass quantity and doesn't go that low, otherwise I like it (I don't want to mod it). I alternate it with Yincrow X6 and most of time I find myself listening to Yincrow for some reason...maybe it is just more engaging and foot tapping experience.
It’s a pity you don’t want to mod it. Mine have as much bass impact as the shozy bk/cygnus now, but it’s not even too muddy. It just hits harder and slightly deeper.

But if you don’t want to mod it I understand, i’ll test out my modded pk2 vs the pk2s I ordered and see if the pk2s is as good or better.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #25,408 of 75,341
I also got the new graphenes today and I think SweetEars described the sound very accurately in the post #25386. Only not sure on the wet thing. To me from bass to mids they are slightly dry sounding. The highlight of them to me is sweet trebles and speed.

And I figured out that in order to bring out the mids I have to rotate left bud on the vertical axis counterclockwise and the right clockwise and rotate stems upwards like 7°. This way the centers of earpieces point directly to the eardrums and mids come alive. Also the bass, for good or bad, because it gains quantity and this quality that some people describe as 'cut from stone'. Unfortunately I have to be relatively still to keep this kind of sound.

Funny that I also ordered the blue cable version, but in reality the color is kind of silver-grey-blue depending on lightning and it is sturdy but has memory.

Overall great earbuds. I am sure many headfiers will appreciate these diy mx760. Hope somebody finds my fairytale useful.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #25,409 of 75,341
I also got the new graphenes today and I think SweetEars described the sound very accurately in the post #25386. Only not sure on the wet thing. To me from bass to mids they are slightly dry sounding. The highlight of them to me is sweet trebles and speed.

And I figured out that in order to bring out the mids I have to rotate left bud on the vertical axis counterclockwise and the right clockwise and rotate stems upwards like 7°. This way the centers of earpieces point directly to the eardrums and mids come alive. Also the bass, for good or bad, because it gains quantity and this quality that some people describe as 'cut from stone'. Unfortunately I have to be relatively still to keep this kind of sound.

Funny that I also ordered the blue cable version, but in reality the color is kind of silver-grey-blue depending on lightning and it is sturdy but has memory.

Overall great earbuds. I am sure many headfiers will appreciate these diy mx760. Hope somebody finds my fairytale useful.
lol I did the same twisting of the drivers on my diy pk2's as I could literally remove the front grill, twist it, and stick them back in. I swapped back to default after doing my bass mod because the sound was unchanged after no matter what angle to driver was played at. But before I did notice turning grill on the pk2 (because the bottom and top are blocked off) did help slighty with the mids, firing the sound more directly into your ear rather than bouncing it off your ears first which would probably deliver more of a chamer effect for increased sub bass but lose out of the mids and detail slightly.

So I think you are spot on with that point, at least for some earbuds with different vent types in my case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back