Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 7, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #24,467 of 75,266
32 ohm should be no problem from my experience. The Seahf 150C is quite worrying me with its rated sensitivity. Rather inefficient for someone who do not plan to pair it with at least high power portable player to drive it properly. Though I had a nightmare with one 32 ohm earbud previously. Struggled to drive it off from my mobile phone though the volume quite reaching to normal loudness. It sounds sub par to my ears and bass sounds anaemic and screechy at times. Moving on to my Ibasso DX50, its quite an improvement though I pushed it quite high for an earbud to deliver the clean power through it. From phone, I found I always push it to max without extra headroom. Turned out the sensitivity is rated at 100db. Therefore, its explaining why I'm quite worried with 85db driver.
I'm quite confused about amping requirements. A lot of the cheaper amps I've seen only output 100mw or so. Firstly, I don't know if the rated power is per channel or total and secondly, does this mean that if I use something like a Cayin N3, with 130mw per channel, that buying a 100mw amp would be a waste of time? Would the N3 be able to drive the Seafh 150-ohms?

Nov 7, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #24,468 of 75,266
I'm quite confused about amping requirements. A lot of the cheaper amps I've seen only output 100mw or so. Firstly, I don't know if the rated power is per channel or total and secondly, does this mean that if I use something like a Cayin N3, with 130mw per channel, that buying a 100mw amp would be a waste of time? Would the N3 be able to drive the Seafh 150-ohms?

I think some manufacturers need to be more specific on stating specifications for their product in the future. Thats only suggestion for them to help few people who are going to stick with it. I looked up at Cayin website and see their specifications are examplary and helping alot. Anyway, Cayin N3 as DAP should be enough for most earbuds IMO. For driving Seahf 150C, I think it will struggle a bit. Driving them to normal human level listening is achieveable but at 150 mW per channel, I'm afraid it will clip as volume goes higher. However, buying a portable amp could be tricky. 100mW portable should safely be ideal choice for easy to drive earbuds. It will do wonderful job supplying those clean 100mW to that type of earbuds. Assuming Seahf 150C sensitivity rated at 85db/1mW, it will need 316.2 mW to reach 110 db SPL. Most of cases, reaching 110 db SPL is not ideal for pratical listening volume. However, its where the headroom of your amplifier lies on. Not too high and not too low. It just a reference for suitable gain for your earbud. At least, you can choose which volume levels are to be desired. YMMV

Nov 7, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #24,469 of 75,266
I think some manufacturers need to be more specific on stating specifications for their product in the future. Thats only suggestion for them to help few people who are going to stick with it. I looked up at Cayin website and see their specifications are examplary and helping alot. Anyway, Cayin N3 as DAP should be enough for most earbuds IMO. For driving Seahf 150C, I think it will struggle a bit. Driving them to normal human level listening is achieveable but at 150 mW per channel, I'm afraid it will clip as volume goes higher. However, buying a portable amp could be tricky. 100mW portable should safely be ideal choice for easy to drive earbuds. It will do wonderful job supplying those clean 100mW to that type of earbuds. Assuming Seahf 150C sensitivity rated at 85db/1mW, it will need 316.2 mW to reach 110 db SPL. Most of cases, reaching 110 db SPL is not ideal for pratical listening volume. However, its where the headroom of your amplifier lies on. Not too high and not too low. It just a reference for suitable gain for your earbud. At least, you can choose which volume levels are to be desired. YMMV
Thanks very much :)

When you say the amp would need 316.2 mW to reach 110 dB SPL, is that per channel or in total? That's where I get very confused because some manufacturers specify per channel and some don't.

Nov 7, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #24,472 of 75,266
Hello Old frnds,

What's happening in earbud world ?
Any new flagships available other than Zen black / CAX ?

Nov 7, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #24,473 of 75,266
What's the difference between Seahf AWK-F32S and AWK-F32T. The T version has transparent shells and it is described as "2017 New", but does it actually sound better?

Also, why are the non-mic white F-32S more expensive than black one with mic? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

I am a Vido user as of recently and I've decided to treat myself on 11/11 with an upgrade. I thought I was decided on **** PT15, but now I'm seriously considering Seahfs.

Nov 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #24,474 of 75,266
Thanks. Could you share more the comparison between HY1000 vs Toneking Unicorn?

Unicorn is a bit on the warm and smooth side, if not just a little bit mid centric. Good with male vocal and slow music, otherwise fairly polite all around and could really use more excitement in its presentation. Toneking listed Unicorn as Tomahawk's 'upgrade', though in truth it kind of goes opposite to Tomahawk's sound signature.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #24,477 of 75,266

I don't know the specs of the FiiO X5ii (actually, here they are http://www.fiio.net/en/products/41/parameters), but I'm playing my seahf AWK-F150C buds straight into the X5ii with the volume level just a little over halfway and they sound great. The bass is superb. Currently listening to the flac version of this album. Breathe...

FYI - I have managed 75 hours burn in on these, if it makes any difference.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #24,478 of 75,266
I'm going to order a few more buds on 11.11. For a more expensive one, it's a toss-up between the K300 Samsara and the seahf 650, though for amping, I might just get the Samsara. I'll give the victor a good burn in and see how it and the Shozy BK sound. That's when I decide if I have an endgame bud, or whether I have the bud bug and need to consider something much further up the food chain :)

I'm definitely getting another seahf 150, just in case anything happens to the one I have at the moment. So happy with that one.

Nov 7, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #24,479 of 75,266
I have been reading through most of this year's posts on this thread and have an incredible urge to order a ton of new earbuds, mainly due to the enthusiasm of the contributors. However, since I am currently enjoying the seahf 150s (with FiiO X5ii and A3), I'm fighting of that urge. I also have the Graphene but prefer the 150 at the moment. Neither are properly burned in though. I also need to wait till the Shozy BKs arrive and I get a good listen to them.

11-11 is approaching and my will power isn't the best. :)

With the Shozy BKs, Seahf 150's and the graphenes in your ears, you'd think that you could resist 11-11.

GOOD LUCK! :ksc75smile:

edit: I just read your above post... lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back