Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #23,116 of 75,287
EMX500 vs. RY4S

EMX500 - V-shaped sound. Detailed treble, and deep but a little thin bass. Good braided cable.

RY4S - Treble and medium are clear, and strong bass with core. But rubbery coating cable. Though I like this RY4S's sound more.
I once listened to both EMX500 and RY4S side by side using a splitter, then listened to 1 side of each pair and I couldn't find a big difference with them.
I think they may be just using the same drivers and varies only on the cables and plugs.

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #23,117 of 75,287
Can somebody link me where to buy the Vido? I can't find it.

Also, anybody from the US have declined payment, AliExpress has me send documents to prove the payment methods are legit.

I rather not provide these documents with personal info to a Chinese website.

Is it just my bank or anybody have good luck with using payment methods from a US bank?

Just search vido at aliexpress

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #23,118 of 75,287
I once listened to both EMX500 and RY4S side by side using a splitter, then listened to 1 side of each pair and I couldn't find a big difference with them.
I think they may be just using the same drivers and varies only on the cables and plugs.
I feel this can apply to most MX500 style earbuds. That's also why I stopped buying earbuds with that shell.
Just got PK2S yesterday and it is truly different from anything else I own at the moment.
My collection until now: Qian25, 39, TY-Z 32, TY-Z 314P, Vido, PK2S, SHE3800, RY4S, RY04, Monk+. Qian69 incoming!

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #23,119 of 75,287

Whether between me and your ears are different, or whether it is an individual difference of earbuds, I can not know.
But I am confident that I can distinguish the two earbuds with Blind Test.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #23,120 of 75,287
I feel this can apply to most MX500 style earbuds. That's also why I stopped buying earbuds with that shell.
I agree to some extent, but Monk+ and EMX500 for example definitely doesn't sound they same, and they both use sennheiser mx500 shells. So we can still find some nuances among buds that use the same shells

Just got PK2S yesterday and it is truly different from anything else I own at the moment.
My collection until now: Qian25, 39, TY-Z 32, TY-Z 314P, Vido, PK2S, SHE3800, RY4S, RY04, Monk+. Qian69 incoming!
Love my PK2S as well. Also have owned almost all of the buds you listed. I think you're good to move on to mid-fi :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #23,121 of 75,287
I really like the Vido's, but...

I'm not agree with you about that. "Vido has a way better sound stage compared to mx500 that feels in your face and claustrophobic" : NO!!! :fearful: The soundstage of EMX500 is open, airy and have nothing "claustrophobic" (you are the first people to said something like this, here...).
Ok, you don't like the tonality and the "signature" of EMX500, but it does not make it a bad earbud : it's not for your taste... You confuse "taste" and "quality", right?
For me, EMX500 are really better than Vido.

+1 with Kooka :)

+1 with Kooka too. Luckyeights must have a lemon EMX500. This is not uncommon I have had both bad and good multiple copies of earbuds - for example Monk Original, Auglamour RX1. I have one EMX500 and a few Vidos and personnally my EMX500 is way better (more extension on both ends and better soundstage). It has been mentioned on several occasions that the EMX500 are like Vidos on steroids and rightly so. I must point out that the EMX500 comes with a cable that alone cost $7.00 (same as I have bought in the past to recable Vidos). So a recabled Vido comes to the same cost as the EMX500. And for that personally I can safely say that its the best valued easily available earbud.

+1 x 3!

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #23,122 of 75,287
I agree to some extent, but Monk+ and EMX500 for example definitely doesn't sound they same, and they both use sennheiser mx500 shells. So we can still find some nuances among buds that use the same shells

Love my PK2S as well. Also have owned almost all of the buds you listed. I think you're good to move on to mid-fi :)

What would you recommend as next step? I like clear, holographic sound, smooth highs. Not much importance on bass impact, it just needs to reach deep. Also, love large soundstage.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #23,123 of 75,287

How do the PK2S compare to the originals? - I like their shells, but however they seem to distort & crackle with increasing bass levels...

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #23,124 of 75,287
Whether between me and your ears are different, or whether it is an individual difference of earbuds, I can not know.
But I am confident that I can distinguish the two earbuds with Blind Test.
Yeah my friends also say they indeed sound different. RY4S is warmer than the EMX500. I for one didn't really think much about them. All i know is that they're both great. :)

What would you recommend as next step? I like clear, holographic sound, smooth highs. Not much importance on bass impact, it just needs to reach deep. Also, love large soundstage.
I personally haven't tried them but the Blur (by Wong Kuan Wae) might by what you are looking for.

How do the PK2S compare to the originals? - I like their shells, but however they seem to distort & crackle with increasing bass levels...
Same observation with the NiceHCK PK2. The bass crackles on deep bass.
No such thing on PK2S. Though they definitely can't reach basshead levels, maybe just on the neutral side. The strong points of the PK2S is the clear mids. The highs could get too hot for some though. I still like it as an alternative to the Graphenes because it has a better build quality and fit.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #23,125 of 75,287
Can somebody link me where to buy the Vido? I can't find it.

Also, anybody from the US have declined payment, AliExpress has me send documents to prove the payment methods are legit.

I rather not provide these documents with personal info to a Chinese website.

Is it just my bank or anybody have good luck with using payment methods from a US bank?

That crap is so ridiculous. It's like asking to get your sensitive data stolen. Just cancel the order and make a new one. That's how I got around it.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #23,126 of 75,287
NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1

www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-NICEHCK-DIY-MX500-PK1-Earbud-In-Ear-Earphone-Flat-Head-Plug-Earplugs-Headset-Earbud/32823569005.html

I'm in love with someone else, don't tell my wife. It is the NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1. Such a fantastically fun sound, but more on that later.

There are multiple options for color of the cable and housings. There are also two different kinds of cables. The earbud used for this review is the "Black Silver MX500". I picked this version because I personally thought it looked the coolest.

Build is very decent with good materials. My only complaint is that the version of the cable I have is prone to microphonics. With the thin diameter of the cable, these can be worn over the ears to eliminate any noise.

Sound is just too much fun! Great quality, controlled sub-bass with mid-bass that stays out of the mids. Speaking of the mids, they are very engaging and musical. Vocals sounds smooth and accurate, but not overly forward. Highs have enough detail, though they do roll off early, I would not suggest these for analytical listening. However, they are wonderful for extending listening sessions.

Overall these are one of the most enjoyable earbuds I have had the pleasure of listening to in quite some time. Even with a bit of microphonics, from the version cable I have, I still find myself reaching for the NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1 more and more. They have been my main earbud at work for the past week and it is helping to keep me awake and focused with some killer tunes. So, for the satisfying sound, I highly recommend these earbuds.

P1090659.jpg

P1090662b.jpg

P1090658.jpg

P1090656.jpg

--

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #23,127 of 75,287
NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1

www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-New-NICEHCK-DIY-MX500-PK1-Earbud-In-Ear-Earphone-Flat-Head-Plug-Earplugs-Headset-Earbud/32823569005.html

I'm in love with someone else, don't tell my wife. It is the NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1. Such a fantastically fun sound, but more on that later.

There are multiple options for color of the cable and housings. There are also two different kinds of cables. The earbud used for this review is the "Black Silver MX500". I picked this version because I personally thought it looked the coolest.

Build is very decent with good materials. My only complaint is that the version of the cable I have is prone to microphonics. With the thin diameter of the cable, these can be worn over the ears to eliminate any noise.

Sound is just too much fun! Great quality, controlled sub-bass with mid-bass that stays out of the mids. Speaking of the mids, they are very engaging and musical. Vocals sounds smooth and accurate, but not overly forward. Highs have enough detail, though they do roll off early, I would not suggest these for analytical listening. However, they are wonderful for extending listening sessions.

Overall these are one of the most enjoyable earbuds I have had the pleasure of listening to in quite some time. Even with a bit of microphonics, from the version cable I have, I still find myself reaching for the NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1 more and more. They have been my main earbud at work for the past week and it is helping to keep me awake and focused with some killer tunes. So, for the satisfying sound, I highly recommend these earbuds.

P1090659.jpg

P1090662b.jpg

P1090658.jpg

P1090656.jpg

--
How do they compare to NiceHCK PK2? If you have both?

There seems to be versions of MX500/PK1/PK2... Different drivers or just different housing/cable.

Seems like the PK1/PK2 version look identical so must be different drivers and the other DIY PK2 I bought from Nicehck is now obselete to this PK1? hmm I'd buy it if i knew it was new improved version maybe but I can't tell.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #23,128 of 75,287
How do they compare to NiceHCK PK2? If you have both?

There seems to be versions of MX500/PK1/PK2... Different drivers or just different housing/cable.

Seems like the PK1/PK2 version look identical so must be different drivers and the other DIY PK2 I bought from Nicehck is now obselete to this PK1? hmm I'd buy it if i knew it was new improved version maybe but I can't tell.

Yes, it is confusing. I recently received these ones:
100% New Arrival In-ear Earphones Flat Head Plug Earphone HiFi Bass Earbuds DJ Earbuds Heavy Bass Sound Quality DIY MX500

but how are they different from the PK1 (or PK2 for that matter)?:

2017 New NICEHCK DIY MX500 PK1 Earbud In Ear Earphone Flat Head Plug Earplugs Headset Earbud HIFI Earphone Earbud Free Shipping

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #23,129 of 75,287
Hmmm, $9.87 w/epacket for the MX500 :)

What is the white cable version? No picture and has green/yellow options but says to message if you want white cable version.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #23,130 of 75,287
Yes I wish they clarified if the driver is new/improved, the difference between PK1/PK2 versions (when equally priced) and if the versions here are the same as the standalone one you or I bought of the PK2 or MX500 respectively.

Interesting to note, many of the variations listed on the MX500/PK1/PK2 combined listing actually cost less than the PK2 DIY I bought.

Who knows if I spent more for nothing or if I got a better version? Hard to say!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back