Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 31, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #22,607 of 75,456
people hype vido because partly the ridiculous price to performance ratio. But yes vido is really that good. The focus is excellent IMO.

Am I the only one thinking qian39 is not hype? It holds very good spot in very open and layered sounding earbud for a few buck. Although not as all rounder as vido but it's a must have IMO. Along with vido and monk+

You´re not alone, after getting over the initial Vido wow factor I find myself enjoying the Qian 39 more, they´re slightly warmer which makes them more enjoyable with music for me, and the fit is much better, I can´t wear the Vido´s when I´m outdoors since they keep falling out of my ears, the Qian with Heigi donuts are perfect fit wise.

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #22,608 of 75,456
Can anyone recommend a bud with a similar sound signature to the EMX500 without the shoddy QC, in the couple of weeks I had it until the right bud broke I absolutely loved it, I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I thought it was a one off but given the number of issues people have reported it seems all too common.

Aug 31, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #22,609 of 75,456
Anyone here remembers the bass slam of vintage Sony earbuds ? any equivalent ones that are available "?

Late reply, but I've been a bit busy lately.

I have owned E252, E282 & E484. I bought all of them a few years ago on the second hand market and sold them just a few months ago.

E484 is the Sony with the most bass slam. For a long time I could not find an earbud with bass as good as E484. But the last few years have brought some amzazing sounding earbuds, from budget to TOTL ones.

Something like Vido for around $4 comes close to the bass slam of E484. That's pretty amazing. Personally, I find Cypherus CampFred to beat E484 when it comes to bass. CampFred 1 is discontinued but CampFred 2 is said to have even better bass. CF2 costs $199 excluding shipping.

Nowadays you cannot find second hand vintage Sony earbuds for less than $200, so CF2 is a good alternative.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #22,610 of 75,456
All the earbuds with Yuin-Docomo shells (all those earbuds with PK as codenames) are smaller and more comfortable to wear than Monk Plus (that is using standard MX500 shell). Qian 39 is also quite a bit smaller and lighter than Monk Plus.

That was very helpful. I now have a Qian 39 and a PK2 on order.

I also like the look of the Auglamour RX1, but have not yet figured out if it would suit me. Does anyone want to tell me about it. Meanwhile I will try to find some reviews. This is a huge thread to search through!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #22,611 of 75,456

I also like the look of the Auglamour RX1, but have not yet figured out if it would suit me. Does anyone want to tell me about it. Meanwhile I will try to find some reviews. This is a huge thread to search through!
I have it on order(RX1). Everyone in here seems to consider it silky smooth and detailed in the mids with pleasant high's not too bright. But it is somewhat bass light judging from the majority of opinions I've heard.

However there was a post in the diy earbud thread about modding it to produce a more tonally balanced sound with more bass quantity and slightly less mid centric. It does involve opening up the earbud housing though and using cotton or a thin foam behind the driver.

So if you like bass extension, quantity and sub bass maybe this is not for you! It's supposed to be excellent in the mid ranges and very good in the high's though if that's what you prefer! Personally I bought it to test it out and I'll probably do the mod to it because I like to my earbuds to have presence in all frequencies.

It would be ideal for podcasts/audiobooks and maybe for night listening as it is supposed to be comfortable to wear even when your head is resting against a pillow etc. So it may replace my earpods for that purpose. Build quality it excellent I've heard. :)

(the review of it here on headfi seems to contradict what I've heard about the bass/sub bass quantity, I guess there are many opinions about it. I'll give you my own when I receive the earbud if you want)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #22,612 of 75,456

The 39 is good, really comfortable due to its size and good bass, sadly for me the highs are just too bright and fatiguing for a lot of the music I listen to, that said I must have put over 50hrs through it so I can't dislike it that much.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #22,613 of 75,456

I have both Qian 39 and PK2s. I have small ear canals, so Qian 39 served me very well for movie watching through my laptop. However Qian 39 feels insubstantial and you can hear static when you move its cable. Sound wise, Qian 39 is airy but its resolution is not comparable to earbuds that cost 10 bucks or more. I recently acquired a pair of PK2s, it is currently replacing Q39 as my workhorse earbuds. In comparison, PK2s is well-constructed, physically smaller than Monk+ and capable of delivering more detailed sound than Q39. Don't get me wrong, Q39 is certainly a good buy and I have used up more than its worth now.

I have Auglamour RX1 as well. I was curious and I bought it for its metal housing (though I think it looks gaudy in the flesh). RX1 is not really an all-rounder earphone as it sounds bland and congested to begin with. Somehow they are great for listening to vocal tracks because they are mellow. I do use RX1 every now and then for resetting my ears, since they sound positively different (distinctive) from the rest. They are also more comfortable to wear than Monk+, owing to its comparatively rounder shape and perceptibly smaller dimensions.

I also took a bet and pre-ordered a Moondrop Nameless yesterday. It is made of metal (at least it has been explicitly spelled out in its product descriptions), looks great and lean (in pictures), and will potentially share the same sound signature as the (a lot) more expensive Liebesleid and VX pro (they all have 13.5mm drivers). Since it is a stripped-down model, I believe it will be smaller and lighter than the higher-end models.

Sep 1, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #22,614 of 75,456
I bought "Seahf AWK-F32P" earbuds in AliExpress for $6.5. It's design seems like AKG K312P.
And I found it has really the same sound as K312P. (So, please forget about "Transcend's" that I commented before.)
K312P has more bass than K314P and well balanced AKG sound. So I like K312P and Seahf AWK-F32P more.
I am using MP thin foam on them.

For people who like AKG sound, I recommend "Seahf AWK - F32P".

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #22,615 of 75,456
just received the Seaf AWK-F32T and KZ Zs1 today. First impressions are that the Seaf has a very well balanced sound, the ZS1's are bass monsters yet very clear mids and highs. Happy listening ahead

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #22,616 of 75,456
A couple weeks ago my Shozy BK/stardust showed up and I've been listening to them quite a bit since then. I think they're incredible. The amount of separation and soundstage that they offer is something I've only heard in open back over ears before now. I'm a little annoyed at myself for spending as much as I did on my Orions, which will now only be used when I really need isolation while on the go.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #22,617 of 75,456
so Rose Masya... Iv had these buds for some time but never really cared much about them they sounded thin to me and tended to fall out easily. So I busted them out again to listen, same issue as before bright and thin, they also feel lose and fall out easily. So while fiddling with them i found that they sounded amazing if i put pressure on them to make them seal. So i started to try and find ways to sort of twist or wedge them into my ears to get a seal and i can get them to seal now and they do sound really good. They are finicky to get them to seal and i would imagine some people might not be able to get them to seal at all. They are not like mx500 shells that just sort of envelop that whole area and seal by default they require some fiddling which can be an annoyance but they do sound really good if you can get that seal.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #22,618 of 75,456
so Rose Masya... Iv had these buds for some time but never really cared much about them they sounded thin to me and tended to fall out easily. So I busted them out again to listen, same issue as before bright and thin, they also feel lose and fall out easily. So while fiddling with them i found that they sounded amazing if i put pressure on them to make them seal. So i started to try and find ways to sort of twist or wedge them into my ears to get a seal and i can get them to seal now and they do sound really good. They are finicky to get them to seal and i would imagine some people might not be able to get them to seal at all. They are not like mx500 shells that just sort of envelop that whole area and seal by default they require some fiddling which can be an annoyance but they do sound really good if you can get that seal.

Ok thanks for the tip. I find mx500 earbuds don't seal well for me, yet the tomahawks do. I think it's the housing shape rather than diameter. I like large earbuds that sit well on the ear or smaller ones that sit in the ear, but the mx500 is sort of a middle ground that doesn't work for me.

The masya looks like a big diameter but it's got a thin front face that will probably sit snuggly in my ear anyway. I like this style hope it fits well for me!

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #22,619 of 75,456
A couple weeks ago my Shozy BK/stardust showed up and I've been listening to them quite a bit since then. I think they're incredible. The amount of separation and soundstage that they offer is something I've only heard in open back over ears before now. I'm a little annoyed at myself for spending as much as I did on my Orions, which will now only be used when I really need isolation while on the go.

How's the bass? I want to get it but it's so expensive.

Sep 1, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #22,620 of 75,456

Have you tried an using a rubber ring with foams on top? That does the trick for me with the Masya and the Mojito.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back