Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #21,991 of 75,252
Do people still use buds? I see more disadvantages with buds. You can't get a decent seal, and therefore you can't expect decent bass. This was the factor for the ibuds. Also, not having the enough isolation raise ambiance noise level, and if that level is high enough you'd have to compensate with louder volumes.

One of the biggest factor that affects sound for small monitors is fit, and buds are not the ones that gives you that.

Well, the disadvantage you mention not being able to create a decent seal, is for me atleast a earbuds greatest strength.

My ears cannot tolerate sealing my earchanal off for a extended period wich causes issues. Hence a earbud resting in the outer ear is a valid option for me if i dont want to use my headphones.

Also the performance of buds has greatly improved the last couple of years. That combined with more walletfriendly prices makes buds a great option to consider.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #21,992 of 75,252
Alright, I haven't been so up to date on buds. Been focusing on IEMs as that's where the hype is at right now, but as you all point out, with the hype comes a cost, the price gouging by companies. So, I like the idea of buds still being within reasonable price ranges.

Now, please recommend me the high performers. Thanks.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #21,993 of 75,252
Do people still use buds? I see more disadvantages with buds. You can't get a decent seal, and therefore you can't expect decent bass. This was the factor for the ibuds. Also, not having the enough isolation raise ambiance noise level, and if that level is high enough you'd have to compensate with louder volumes.

One of the biggest factor that affects sound for small monitors is fit, and buds are not the ones that gives you that.

using iems or closed headphones at home will result in lots of "huh??" and "what??" from me, followed by deathly stare from my wive.. can't deal with that. earbuds are the best for that.

what you called disadvantage is what I call awareness

i do love iems though, i always prefer them than earbuds on airplanes, trains, or any noisy situation where i can sit still and don't want to be bothered by my surroundings

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #21,994 of 75,252
Alright, I haven't been so up to date on buds. Been focusing on IEMs as that's where the hype is at right now, but as you all point out, with the hype comes a cost, the price gouging by companies. So, I like the idea of buds still being within reasonable price ranges.

Now, please recommend me the high performers. Thanks.

emx500 on aliexpress is probably the best $10 you can spend on buds right now...you should start with them so you can experience some good earbud bass!

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #21,996 of 75,252
I just posted a review of the NiceHCK DIY Graphene here. I am very impressed, and very happy with it. :)

Got confused by the uncompensated graph of the Stardust for a second lol...

1tnelg.jpg

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #21,998 of 75,252

Personally I cannot stand the feeling of IEMs in my ears, so earbuds all the way for me. The last few years smaller makers have come out with really great sounding earbuds. Mainly China and Indonesia (!) are making big progress earbud wise. In China you have smaller companies that make earbuds, mainly based on standard housings such as the old Sennheiser MX300/400/500. Indonesian DIY earbud makers often take cheap Chinese earbuds and change cable and fine tune them to make amazing sounding earbuds.

Can you get a pair of IEMs for $200+ that come close to the open sound of full size headphones? With earbuds you can do that.

Many IEM users have been amazed by the $5 VE Monk+ earbud. Of course you will not get any seal with earbuds and bass will be lacking compared to IEMs, but you can get a type of open sound that no IEM can come close to. That with even a $5 earbud!

If you move up to $100-200 earbuds you can come close to audiphile level sound. My personal favorite earbud maker is the tiny Indonesian maker Cypherus. If you are used to spend a lot of money on IEMs you could give CampFred 2 ($199 excluding shipping) a go. You might be amazed at how good sub bass a pair of earbuds can give you.
Or yuo could give the neutral Monk+ a try. If you want more bass you could get a pair of $3.99 Vido from Ali Express. The price/performance ratio is just crazy!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #21,999 of 75,252
Personally I cannot stand the feeling of IEMs in my ears, so earbuds all the way for me. The last few years smaller makers have come out with really great sounding earbuds. Mainly China and Indonesia (!) are making big progress earbud wise. In China you have smaller companies that make earbuds, mainly based on standard housings such as the old Sennheiser MX300/400/500. Indonesian DIY earbud makers often take cheap Chinese earbuds and change cable and fine tune them to make amazing sounding earbuds.

Can you get a pair of IEMs for $200+ that come close to the open sound of full size headphones? With earbuds you can do that.

Many IEM users have been amazed by the $5 VE Monk+ earbud. Of course you will not get any seal with earbuds and bass will be lacking compared to IEMs, but you can get a type of open sound that no IEM can come close to. That with even a $5 earbud!

If you move up to $100-200 earbuds you can come close to audiphile level sound. My personal favorite earbud maker is the tiny Indonesian maker Cypherus. If you are used to spend a lot of money on IEMs you could give CampFred 2 ($199 excluding shipping) a go. You might be amazed at how good sub bass a pair of earbuds can give you.
Or yuo could give the neutral Monk+ a try. If you want more bass you could get a pair of $3.99 Vido from Ali Express. The price/performance ratio is just crazy!
Agreed .. having recently received WillSound32 from Indonesia, was immediately fascinated by their sound, while the EMS to Russia costs as much as the earbuds themselves, lol 30 + 30 usd
P70806-145055-001.jpg
P70802-195310-001.jpg P70802-190919-001.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #22,004 of 75,252
Guys, thanks for the suggestions(any others with suggestions?). I will give those buds a try.

What sort of sound signature do you like?

More of an analytical sound signature? Something more neutral and natural? Warm sound with deep and boomy bass (like some people here)?

I'm more in the neutral camp. VE Monk+ is great from an more neutral perspective. The more expensive earbuds from VE are not as neutral sounding. For example, Zen 2 is very warm sounding.

If you are prepared to spend $100+ you can check out the excellent earbud comparison list that ctaxxxx put together. You can find it in his signature: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-1466#post-13642562

Aug 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #22,005 of 75,252
I think I like "neutral"(I put quotes around it since we all claim we want neutral to some degree, but may not be the reality of it), evened out sound. Love clarity and detail so that may mean analytical. I don't mind analytical as I see lacking in it as smooth, and buffered in pushed details.

It's probably contradictory to like forward mids, and also wide sound stage(as they may contradict each other in tuning). Also, want something neutral, but also wide sound stage. Perfection would ideally be neutral, clear and detailed, with fine resolving treble trextures with wide soundstage. I think my wants could be contradictory. :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back