Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 3, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #21,916 of 75,478
My latest diy project. Have had some days burning them in and just general listening. Very happy with the result. My feeling is that the sound did improve, tighter bass, better resolution and so on. Disclaimer: since i built them myself i may just be bias and hearing things i want to.

Earbud: White Vido, J-cable.
Cable: Oyaide coaxial 102SSC
Connector: Amphenol goldplated straight plug.
Splitter: Eidolic E-SX4
Solder: Cardas Quad Eutectic

Build: Quite straight forward process. Soldered the plug first. The connectors big lugs made it simple. Spitted the cable down to a resonable lenght for both ears. To make the splitter stay put i used transparent silicone.

Removed the drivers with grill for each channel. I was able to do this with my fingers. Fried the left channel on my first attemt so caution is needed when soldering / desoldering. Had a donor Vido just in case that happened so i was able to complete the build. Result as pictured. Added donuts from Hiegi.

Cost: Estimated 50-55$ in total.

Pros: i now own a unique vido that do sound really good to my ears.

Cons: the cable is a little stiffer than i would like and its microphonic wich is a bummer. But i can live with that.

Regards

Edited my post for cost. Yes, i bought everything seperatly on different occations. Yes, you can buy finished cables on Aliexpress for example wich will be much cheaper than my project. Yes, if you buy a finished cable with mic it will be mic:ed.

Yes, this is my first earbud project but not my first diy project.

Regards
Excellent. I am yet to order any tool for this. Is there any ready made kit for recabling which has everything required or having soldering iron is enough is one is using finished cable?

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #21,917 of 75,478
Excellent. I am yet to order any tool for this. Is there any ready made kit for recabling which has everything required or having soldering iron is enough is one is using finished cable?

I used: A plier, a cutter, a sharp blade, a multimeter, a variable solderingiron, solder.

Thats if you are doing it from scratch.

If you buy a finished cable with plug you still will need atleast a cutter, a multimeter, preferably a sharp blade, a plier, soldering iron, solder.

What i know there is no kit that includes the tools needed for a decent job.

Aug 3, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #21,918 of 75,478
Update - I did not notice that you mentioned cost $50-55. Isn't it too costly at this price? You can buy 2 good quality earbuds at that price. Also, if cheaper options are available but good quality like readymade cable which will cost not more than $5-6?

Perhaps, but i did it for fun not to save money. The cable alone is 24$.

Yes, ofcourse i could buy several other earbuds for the cost of my project but what is the fun in that ?

The cable i had since before so i had no reason not to use it. The connector and splitter as well.

The whole reason i made this bud was for the pleasure of making it myself and hopefully get a result that i was pleased with. I think i managed both.

regards

Aug 3, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #21,919 of 75,478
So I've given up on the Koss 250's. After about 20 hours of use it's just not worth it. You can get an amazing sound and comfort if you spend enough time. It just doesn't stay that way with movement. If you don't have them in your ears at the perfect angle/fit they are uncomfortable and sound sub par.

Aug 3, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #21,920 of 75,478
So I've given up on the Koss 250's. After about 20 hours of use it's just not worth it. You can get an amazing sound and comfort if you spend enough time. It just doesn't stay that way with movement. If you don't have them in your ears at the perfect angle/fit they are uncomfortable and sound sub par.

Even reading that I'm still tempted to try them. They're different, and I'm drawn to that.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #21,921 of 75,478
Even reading that I'm still tempted to try them. They're different, and I'm drawn to that.

I really need to stress this. The cable is absolute crap. That is stock cable vs a standard USB cable. If these were $40 I'd probably keep them. Used they go between 80-100 which I think is way overpriced for the amount of work it takes.
20631808_837600106405162_381403668_n.jpg

Doesn't help I'm used to probably the best cables on here. Peterek's
20623595_837601843071655_1896200669_o.jpg

Aug 3, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #21,923 of 75,478
Using a coax cable to re-cablle headphone is kinda odd, otherwise good job.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #21,924 of 75,478
Earbud: White Vido, J-cable.
Cable: Oyaide coaxial 102SSC
Connector: Amphenol goldplated straight plug.
Splitter: Eidolic E-SX4
Solder: Cardas Quad Eutectic

A coaxial cable have high impedance, not compatible with driver, it may totally change the sound. Why choose that?

This cable have a 75 Ohm impedance, no? Too high for recabling, the result would be completely different than wanted. :-/

Aug 4, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #21,925 of 75,478
Using a coax cable to re-cablle headphone is kinda odd, otherwise good job.

A coaxial cable have high impedance, not compatible with driver, it may totally change the sound. Why choose that?

This cable have a 75 Ohm impedance, no? Too high for recabling, the result would be completely different than wanted. :-/

That is indeed valid concerns. But as far as i can tell ( subjectivly ) i cannot disern any ill effect. Rather it improved the sound, again subjectivly.

Neither can i detect any difference in driving these diy buds in comparison with a original Vido.

The above statements may be totally wrong since i cannot measure the buds impedance through the frequency range to tell you for sure.

Is my cable a true coaxial ? Dont know. Its built like one. Does it measure the same ? Cant say either.

Would be interresting to have these and a original vido measured side by side.

My bext Vido project will be a more traditional one :)

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #21,928 of 75,478
@Frederick Wang how is the fit? As good as Yuin or better?
I never had a Yuin, but I have a Docomo earbud which looks the same shell with Yuin.
They are both great fit, have no complaint. NiceHCK Graphite is a little bit larger though. The only earbud I had a hard time to wear was the 1st gen Monk.

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #21,930 of 75,478
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back