Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 4, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #21,931 of 75,871
A coaxial cable have high impedance, not compatible with driver, it may totally change the sound. Why choose that?

This cable have a 75 Ohm impedance, no? Too high for recabling, the result would be completely different than wanted. :-/

Is my cable a true coaxial ? Dont know. Its built like one. Does it measure the same ? Cant say either.

Would be interresting to have these and a original vido measured side by side.

You guys might have some misconception on what impedance means on coax cable.

Normally impedance on a cable is the alternative current (AC) equivalent of resistance for direct current (DC), giving you an idea of how much current is wasted when transmitted through a particular length of cable, and the longer the cable the more resistance / impedance there will be. Impedance on a coax cable is however different - to put it in a very simply concept, think of it as kind of a 'pressure' inside a hydraulic pipe. If the source has a certain pressure level on the output and the receiving end has the same pressure level, you will also want the hydraulic pipe (= coax cable) to have the same pressure level so there will be minimum waste of energy transfer from one end to another. The impedance of a coax cable is what described that 'pressure level', so regardless of whether it is one meter or ten meters, the impedance of a coax cable is always the same, because it is not a simple indication of resistance. Thus a 75ohm coax cable doesn't actually has a 75ohm resistance if you run a direct current signal over it, and using a 75ohm coax cable with a 32ohm transducer will not give you a 107ohm headphone - it will still give you about the same 32ohm, plus maybe an ohm or two more, for a typical 1.2m length.

Now going back to my previous comment - the part I find odd is on the fact that coax cable is generally stiff and thus not a good choice for headphone use, not because it adds too much impedance to the original headphone (as explained above).

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #21,933 of 75,871
You guys might have some misconception on what impedance means on coax cable.

Normally impedance on a cable is the alternative current (AC) equivalent of resistance for direct current (DC), giving you an idea of how much current is wasted when transmitted through a particular length of cable, and the longer the cable the more resistance / impedance there will be. Impedance on a coax cable is however different - to put it in a very simply concept, think of it as kind of a 'pressure' inside a hydraulic pipe. If the source has a certain pressure level on the output and the receiving end has the same pressure level, you will also want the hydraulic pipe (= coax cable) to have the same pressure level so there will be minimum waste of energy transfer from one end to another. The impedance of a coax cable is what described that 'pressure level', so regardless of whether it is one meter or ten meters, the impedance of a coax cable is always the same, because it is not a simple indication of resistance. Thus a 75ohm coax cable doesn't actually has a 75ohm resistance if you run a direct current signal over it, and using a 75ohm coax cable with a 32ohm transducer will not give you a 107ohm headphone - it will still give you about the same 32ohm, plus maybe an ohm or two more, for a typical 1.2m length.

Now going back to my previous comment - the part I find odd is on the fact that coax cable is generally stiff and thus not a good choice for headphone use, not because it adds too much impedance to the original headphone (as explained above).

Thank you for your clarification.

To answer your concerns regarding the cable. Yes, it is a little stiff but less so than Edimun v3 for example when i compare directly. The outer layer of insulation used is quite microphonic wich is a bummer. Maybe there is a solution for that but i dont mind much.

Other than that it looks awsome atleast :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #21,935 of 75,871
@Frederick Wang Thank you, looking forward feedback after burn in

I got these because I liked the design and the build. Unfortunately, I find the sound quite bad. Even after 50+ hours burn in, it's mid centric and veiled at the same time. Weird right? Perhaps I got a faulty unit
I think they share a different driver from the usual $10 DIY MX500 which I haven't heard.
https://aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sel...32821311177.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.9vpCCj

I have been burning it for the last 10 hours or so, at this early stage, I found it has wonderful soundstage and instrument separation, but treble is somehow stifled.
A great choice for the price I paid (about 20 usd). Still have to have more time with them.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #21,937 of 75,871
@ClieOS
Does a coax cable have more capacitance than a parallel cable and that is worst for audio?

Coax cables generally have a controlled capacitance per unit length, and are usually designed for R/F frequencies. So at audio frequencies, the capacitance is low - which means they probably won't attenuate your Treble.

Just go to any cable manufacturer website, and look at the wire specs. The higher the capacitance, the shorter the cable run, before it attenuates higher frequencies.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #21,939 of 75,871
@ClieOS
Does a coax cable have more capacitance than a parallel cable and that is worst for audio?

What @DBaldock9 said. Though in theory a coax cable is supposed to be a worst choice than just a pair of parallel wires (assuming other factors are more or less equal) as far as capacitance goes, the actual capacitance of coax cable for typical headphone length (1.2m or so) is so low that we can pretty much ignore it completely. The capacitance of the transducer itself will likely be much much higher than that of the coax cable. Some sources or amps that have output caps will also contribute much much more capacitance than the coax cable itself.

Aug 4, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #21,940 of 75,871
Personally I wouldn't use coax to cable earphones, because it's stiffer, more capacitance, less copper for the same diameter, more expensive, but it's good to know it wont harm either.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #21,941 of 75,871
Well then. If coax wont dazzle you how about the Deathstar ?!

Probably the most stupid Vido mod ever made :wink:

IMG_2997.JPG

Aug 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #21,942 of 75,871
^I've already read the specs about that re-cable you did, but you need to post them here :) Fun level: MAX
I also found the other coax cables you did very beautiful and understood your choice.
Do you notice different sound with that cable in vido?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #21,944 of 75,871
Hum. SO a new Monk product (or more cause they have an iem too now!)...but well, I fall on it reading facebook headfi, it's call VE Monk SPC.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=4
Anyone heard them?????

Perhaps it will be....my first Monk. And if it can do well with Thelonious Monk it will be even better:wink:

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #21,945 of 75,871
^I've already read the specs about that re-cable you did, but you need to post them here :) Fun level: MAX
I also found the other coax cables you did very beautiful and understood your choice.
Do you notice different sound with that cable in vido?

Yes, im not good at describing sound but i find my recable to be more enjoyable to listen to. Tighter low end, cleaner mids and highs.

My wife gave them a listen and compared to unmodded Vido. Her reaction was that she thought the sound was "more". Yeah i know, very vague but she liked my recable over the original. Of that she was sure.

If you are going to get the oyaide cable do be prepared for some stiffness ( not super bad ) and that its microphonic. But it looks awsome :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back