Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 14, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #21,486 of 75,342
Is there somewhere pic of opened tomahawk? I want to recable but afraid to do so. Not sure about glue and such.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #21,487 of 75,342
Got by budget buds in today (all except EMX500). Do these require burn in? I listened to them for a few seconds before I put them on the burner and thought, "wow, these are bassy!" lol. Might need to slip some thin foams on these. What foams does everyone typically use? I might use those for my impressions so it'll be consistent with everyone else's.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #21,488 of 75,342
Right, I have EB200's, Vido's & EMX500's in my AliExpress basket. Should these be fine running from a mobile phone (currently a Galaxy S7)?

I feel like the average cellphone sounds so bad, that the vidos are the best earbuds that can shine with a bad source. EB200 will be probably reach 85db or more for listening, but it just sounds so much worse on my iphone 6 than on my entry level cayin N3. EMX500 might work since its lower impedance, but I bet any DAP will sound better than a non-audio cellphone.

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #21,489 of 75,342
just got EMX500 today. in my most humble opinion, between these two, there is no need for other earbuds under $50 range, or might be even to $100 in some cases (the Toneking TP16 and Edifier H185 is good, but these two are clearly better).
they are not similar, with the vido only loses on vocal presentation. the vido excels on instrumental music, while the EMX500 edges better on music with vocals.

will compare them to my other buds later tonight

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #21,490 of 75,342
just got EMX500 today. in my most humble opinion, between these two, there is no need for other earbuds under $50 range, or might be even to $100 in some cases (the Toneking TP16 and Edifier H185 is good, but these two are clearly better).
they are not similar, with the vido only loses on vocal presentation. the vido excels on instrumental music, while the EMX500 edges better on music with vocals.

will compare them to my other buds later tonight
You said it man:beerchug: Though I've had the opposite impression, that Vido is the one that excels with vocals and EMX having the "bigger" sound in all ways (soundstage, extension) and are better for instrumental.. But I think at least the EMX changes with burnin, gets more relaxed

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #21,491 of 75,342
another cheer for emx500(Fengru diy emx500),. Vs Vido has fuller vocals but emx500 more forward and even sometimes too shouty. Both great .. Also have yincrow x6 and it seems so far they are geared more to brutal music than Vido with bit tighter bass.

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #21,492 of 75,342
another cheer for emx500(Fengru diy emx500),. Vs Vido has fuller vocals but emx500 more forward and even sometimes too shouty. Both great .. Also have yincrow x6 and it seems so far they are geared more to brutal music than Vido with bit tighter bass.
How do you find those first two against top buds you've had like TM7? It seems it would have to be from memory:) Are they clearly from another shelf?

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #21,493 of 75,342
You said it man:beerchug: Though I've had the opposite impression, that Vido is the one that excels with vocals and EMX having the "bigger" sound in all ways (soundstage, extension) and are better for instrumental.. But I think at least the EMX changes with burnin, gets more relaxed

the vido is by no any means is a slouch on vocals, but comparing them in low volume, i can hear the words/lyrics a little bit clearer with the EMX500 than the Vido

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #21,494 of 75,342
How do you find those first two against top buds you've had like TM7? It seems it would have to be from memory:) Are they clearly from another shelf?
Ok from memory I didn't care much about Tm7( at that time I much prefered Hifiman re262 iems).Not sure about sound quality, but I want to say that sound has many qualities and to me tonality, non-fatiquesness, spaciousness and naturalness stand out the most. Tonality is like shoes if it doesn't fit your taste nothing else matters. You can walk in pain in nice looking pair, but is it worth it. Resolution, separation who cares.

At the moment I enjoy these budget earbuds more than any gear . That matters to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back