Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 9, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #15,122 of 75,868
@Tomasz2D I will try to get to the comparison of the Masya & MX985 soon.  MX985 is being borrowed by a co worker currently, so will get them back fairly soon.

@Sempenyi I have to second the Crow as an option as it just sounds lovely with vocals.  I know a lot of people love the Red Demun as well, but I find the cable's stiffness to be troublesome as I have a difficult time achieving a good fit.  I can listen to it using hooks, but I'll have to see about cutting a small slit in some foams to try to fit over it to see if that helps even more.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #15,123 of 75,868
I am thinking of buying pt15 for its impressive clarity, separation and soundstage as mentioned by many here and very cheap price at 12usd and detachable cables. as i feel it will provide more for me then the 4in1 bar the bass quantity but people used eq to fix that. 

I already gave my ty hiz 32 v1 *good earbud overall* and kz atr *extremely boring and non interesting sound* to my sisters as i have monk+, piston2 and 4in1, i was wondering if i should also buy the quin39 as they are hyped alot these days, how are quin39 compared to monk+ and **** pt15.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #15,124 of 75,868
@Tomasz2D Some examples of bands I like with Masya (using rockboxed xDuoo X3, varying amounts of bass eq depending on type of music):  

Nobuo Uematsu, Portishead, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Muse, Beck, How to Destroy Angels, The Flaming Lips, Rachmaninoff, IAMX, Childish Gambino, VNV Nation...

Honestly, I think it's a decent jack of all trades that does quite well with vocals.  It has enough bass for music like Trip Hop which makes me happy, but of course we're not talking basshead levels or anything, but enough that the music doesn't feel lacking.  I'm sure depending on tastes & experience, it could be a great earbud or could just end up being something that doesn't grab your attention.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #15,125 of 75,868
  I am thinking of buying pt15 for its impressive clarity, separation and soundstage as mentioned by many here and very cheap price at 12usd and detachable cables. as i feel it will provide more for me then the 4in1 bar the bass quantity but people used eq to fix that. 

I already gave my ty hiz 32 v1 *good earbud overall* and kz atr *extremely boring and non interesting sound* to my sisters as i have monk+, piston2 and 4in1, i was wondering if i should also buy the quin39 as they are hyped alot these days, how are quin39 compared to monk+ and **** pt15.

Qians (39)  are one of the best in performance/price/versatility ratio.
No matter how much I like TP-16, they are more expensive while being only a bit better in default cabling and (arguably) overal tonal balance ( it is more neutral, which I do like).
**** is surely a notable one, but without eq it's an RX-1 with accent shifted from mids to highs imo. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #15,126 of 75,868
You know, it's funny because I have tried so many earbuds already but not Asura. Why? I've seen opinions that Asura is like Monk Plus and if one has Monk Plus there is no need to own Asura. Or that this just a "vocal earbud" and I am not into pure vocal music really. But my experiance is that all these so called "vocal" earbuds are bloody good for many other genres. I think I must put Asura 2.0 on my wishlist.

If we talk about the ve family only, I would say that it's more like original monk with smoother tone and better extension. It is even more similar and closer to eo320.
The monk+ is however has thinner mid and its high mid peak that sound harsh to my ear(not sibilance) with some vocal songs, narrower soundstage and the treb is not well extended(or too smooth for my liking).

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #15,128 of 75,868
  I used this link 
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

I didn't increase any volume, that's ok. I just wanted to know opinions from others as every one here is far knowledgeable than me ! No harm in asking !

OK, now I had a time to take this test myself and I can hear up to 16k but I'm 44. Note for others - this kind of test makes only sense if we keep the volume at the same level during the whole test. Unfortunately as we age hearing loss is inevitable and is more profound in higher frequencies but according to these diagrams ladies are more lucky:

MEN:                                                         WOMEN:

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #15,130 of 75,868
  So why do you like Masya and for what music do you use it mostly?

I listen to everything from classical, jazz, bluegrass, through to punk and metal.  Acoustic music is where the Masya shines, but honestly it handles most types of music very competently and often beautifully.

I like the Masya's clarity and the fact that they can be a chameleon with a little equalization or different foams.  The highs can be a little shouty, but I am sensitive to it - easily cured with either equalization, or warm and analog sounding source.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #15,132 of 75,868

Oh dear, giving your Hi-Z v1 away - they are not sold anymore, I would try to get them back!

Qian39 vs Monk+: Q has deeper bass, fuller mids and smoother highs. Q is smaller and more comfortable. Q has more v-shaped sig but easy to EQ. M seems more robust and has better cable.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #15,133 of 75,868
I love my budget ty 32 and she3800.

Will qian offer something new? Haven't been ordering anything new for a while. Only last night I reorder another she3800 for backup.

My daily driver is ty 320 as I'm working from home right now. When I'm out or ride bike I still have my e80 iem. But honestly earbud has ruined me. I don't think I'm going back to iem. Just yesterday I listen to my friend senn ie80 and not impressed as I used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back