Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 18, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #12,196 of 75,869
Sorry I have not. Maybe others who have both can pitch in. Take my impression as a grain of salt. Maybe we define everything differently. I can only compare with earbud that I have.

If I were to rank maybe
1. Ty 320
3. Tomahawk.
4. Rx-1.

So I rank TY slightly higher maybe like 2 step ahead.

Edit

If we talk about balance IMHO it's balance maybe it's neutral leaning to bright. When I said warm I mean in the lower range.

Cheers.

i cant thank you enough for making me tempted to try that thingy XD, i will rent some ty from local owner here , if i'm satisfied it will be my next target earbud :v
  And the Qian39 review is done :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/qianyun-qian39/reviews/17094

Be sure to check it out! Dunno if it was as good as my TY 650 review but I hope it's good enough.
Lemme know if you liked it, or didn't. =)

Nice photograph and review as always vapman, i recommend this thing to my indonesian earbud lovers that find ty hi-z's mid region too forward and annoy 'em

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #12,197 of 75,869
  Guys have a look at focal Elear and Utopia Usage Precaution .Such a scary manual.
No point of spending huge amount on these headphone.

Have a visit to this thread:-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/749762/audioquest-nighthawk-impressions-and-discussion-thread/3675#post_12940099

who knew that companies would use such exotic and dangerous materials in headphones?

on the one hand, you have Beryllium and on the other pleather made from "eggshell membrane-derived proteins",

does that mean the egg shell, or the "skin" on the egg when you hard boil it after you peel off the eggshell?

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #12,198 of 75,869
Got my TY 650s in the mail last night.  They are very good!!!  I have the monk plus, t-music (version one) and the au glamour rx1.  Out of those, these are on a whole different level.  I am someone that uses over the ear headphones my favorite being the hifiman 400i.  These earbuds are like a set of open over ear cans with a very good close to flat frequency response.  These earbuds have good extension on both ends of the spectrum with no peaks or harshness, they are very smooth.  Even though they have a good flat response they are very enjoyable to listen to very musical and i atone that to the smoothness of their presentation. They have a good sound stage not artificial sounding like you feel your in some huge open space, the sound stage feels natural.   They have what i feel is a ever so slight warmness that sort of carries you effortlessly along with your music as you just strum along.  They are also very detailed and able to articulate finer details that my other buds simply cant, the bass is also very controlled and tight no bloat here.  These earbuds also EQ nicely i boosted their bass just a little as their un-eqed bass is good. I like a little extra =D  

These buds play nicely on all devices without being amped and they sound amazing.  I tested them on my cheap $90 amazon fire 8 hd tablet and they reach my max listening level at around 70% volume.  You would expect this earbud not to play nice outside of being amped due to its high impedance but there is some sort of magic going on here as they really do work well on mobile devices unamped even cheap tablets. 

I listen to all sorts of music from classical, country, rock, R&B, POP to artificially created music like dubstep or chilstep.  I would say these would be a very good all around earbud for anyone looking for a high end bud and you have the cash to spare.  I would also recommend if you dont have an amp, although as with any headphone using a good source and amp will always improve sound quality versus coming out of the cheap dac in any mobile device (cell phone/tablet).  

I would not recommend these to anyone looking for a bud that is focused on one part of the spectrum (mid centric, treble head, or bass head)  Unless you dont mind eqing them.  Although to me their frequency response is very enjoyable right out of the box. Their bass is enough as is but I do like a little extra just for the fun factor. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #12,199 of 75,869
Well, Vsonic VSD3P has arrived, and I'm getting my initial listening in with an LG V10 using the typical Monk foams we all know and love.  Vocals are reasonable, but by no means special, and will be outperformed by vocal-based earbuds.  They sound good enough, but by no means special.  Bass kind of feels the same way.  It's by no means lacking, and certainly more present than some very well respected earbuds, but this very well might bore a basshead.  Treble feels maybe slightly muted, but that could be bias due to whatever I listened to last, which would be the Monk+ with Mic.  Detail isn't particularly remarkable either, as everything is missing a clarity those who love the Mojito and similarly designed iems/earbuds know.  All in all for the cost, I really would suggest buying a Monk+ and Ty Hi-Z 32, saving the rest of the money, and get an overall better experience with the two.  To be fair, it seems like a well enough rounded earbud, but doesn't really shine anywhere so far.  I will test soon how it handles bass boosting, so it might be a hidden gem in that respect.  Some listening was done earlier at work with a higher volume due to noise (45 volume instead of 35 at home), and I did enjoy Muse's The Resistance, but not the best testing environment.  Packing is VERY typical for VSonic, reminding me very much of my old VSD3's packaging, and included typical earbud foams as well as a carrying pouch with a knit design on the outside, and an rather soft interior lining that has a wonderful shininess to it.

Now of course, these are very initial impressions, and of course could be swayed by lack of synergy with dap, possibility of burn in improving the earbud, etc.

Edit:  I will say one thing I forgot to mention.  The sound has this laid back quality to it that reminds me a bit of the MX985, so it honestly feels like it's sound would be relaxing enough to take a nap to.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #12,200 of 75,869
  who knew that companies would use such exotic and dangerous materials in headphones?

on the one hand, you have Beryllium and on the other pleather made from "eggshell membrane-derived proteins",

does that mean the egg shell, or the "skin" on the egg when you hard boil it after you peel off the eggshell?

That's just a case of poor translation between Chinese and English. Good quality PU leather, which combines an actual inner leather layer with a top layer polyurethane, is usually referred '蛋白皮耳套'. It means (not in a very precise way) 'protein-leather-earpad' in Chinese, meaning the earpad contains actual leather (or protein) layer. But auto translation often just confuses it as 'egg white leather earpad', then further trying to 'correct' it to eggshell membrane-derived proteins - which of course has nothing to do with eggshell membrane in anyway.

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #12,202 of 75,869
Well im not too sure it could be eggshell.  I know the massdrop fostex thx00s use an eggshell protein earpad.  It breathes unlike pu leather and has a softer more comfortable feel than leather. 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #12,203 of 75,869
i cant thank you enough for making me tempted to try that thingy XD, i will rent some ty from local owner here , if i'm satisfied it will be my next target earbud :v

To be honest after 60-70 hour burn I now rank them way up maybe 3 step ahead of rx-1 and tomahawk.

TY hi-z Hp320 WILL DISSECT ANY MUSIC YOU THROW AT IT AND PRESENT IT TO YOU GLORIOUSLY IN IMAX MODE!

I shoved it to my friends from audiphlile to non audiophile, teenagers to late 40s. All sort of phone and music genres, with and without amp and all of them wowed. As a compliment I also lure them with Sennheiser momentum 2 on ear headphone as comparison and all of them choose ty 320ohm as being better sonically.

Well of course it is :D

Oct 18, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #12,204 of 75,869

@BloodyPenguin Have you heard the Qian39 and possible to compare to those Vido's you have (I forget the name, but the cheap Taobao ones you said had the best bass you knew) because the Qian39's bass is so comparable to the depth & power of the TY 650 I think it might deserve a review.

Vapman, I have not heard the Qian39 yet.  It is on my short list to purchase though, even more so after reading your review on them.

I also REALLY want the TY 650 as well, though not sure if I will ever get a pair of those or not, a bit pricey.

I already have a bunch of earbuds that are in transit to me from all over the world, including the MusicMaker - TKY2 and Earbud Thailand - White Hawk.  Plus a bunch of other super cheap budget buds.

--

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #12,205 of 75,869
After reading your review of Qian39, it seems they are even better than Monk+. However, one issue I am having in ordering them is that none of them has Mic. Are they with Mic also as for Monk+ I can see but it is weird looking Mic and no picture with Mic and Earbud both in same pic. Anything like Qian39 with Mic? How is BYZ-s600. Did you try them too?

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #12,206 of 75,869
  After reading your review of Qian39, it seems they are even better than Monk+. However, one issue I am having in ordering them is that none of them has Mic. Are they with Mic also as for Monk+ I can see but it is weird looking Mic and no picture with Mic and Earbud both in same pic. Anything like Qian39 with Mic? How is BYZ-s600. Did you try them too?

LoL !

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #12,207 of 75,869
For those who have ordered the **** PT15 already, has anyone ordered it with the silver cable?  I'm tempted to give that one a try, but $42 for it vs $30 for a standard cable, it's a rough call if I should just go the cheaper route or not.  Any thoughts?

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #12,208 of 75,869
  For those who have ordered the **** PT15 already, has anyone ordered it with the silver cable?  I'm tempted to give that one a try, but $42 for it vs $30 for a standard cable, it's a rough call if I should just go the cheaper route or not.  Any thoughts?

If i like normal cable version of ****, then i will for sure order Silver version also.

Oct 18, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #12,209 of 75,869

On Ali search for "**** PT15 " there's a different seller with 4 different cable options and also without cable.

Yes, they're on presale
When you order, please note:
     Hello,dear friends, this is pre-sale products, about after 10 working days delivery, thank you for understand, please note, thank you !!!

The seller that I purchased from shipped it last night. And this seller also has in the description a typo (?) - "Graphite bush Dynamic Driver"  as opposed to other sellers - "Graphene Dynamic Driver Unit."

There are patents for Graphene audio drivers (Electrostatic graphene speaker ) - 

https://www.google.com/patents/WO2014100012A1?cl=en&dq=graphene+audio&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidl5qgyeTPAhUEdh4KHWoIBIYQ6AEIHDAA
https://www.google.com/patents/WO2014100012A1?cl=en&dq=graphene+audio&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidl5qgyeTPAhUEdh4KHWoIBIYQ6AEIHDAA#legal-events

My searching for a graphene audio product came up with nothing in the pipeline from other audio companies. The skeptic in me says that this is not graphene, but a standard dynamic driver with magnet and a graphite spray or coating. It would be easy enough for someone to open the shell and check out the driver. If true graphene technology won't have a magnet.

Any info on **** as a company other than their IEM's etc? Do they have a website that has announced the PT15? Is there a **** representative on Head-Fi? If it is a **** product, the sound may be really good regardless of the driver and marketing claims.

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #12,210 of 75,869
Hey guys, just want to introduce you people to this earbud by the same manufacturer as the DIY POWERBEATS Dual Drivers.

Extremely good detail retrival for the price with a sound signature focusing more on the upper section of the frequency spectrum with very good soundstage (dare I say almost as good if not equal to the DD's (if memory serves me right as the DD is at my hometown now).

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.23.aDIYE1&id=38265311694&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

48RMB......

Just my honest opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back