Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #12,169 of 75,272
Old school hip hop head right here to give you some good recs.

Plus i have owned Dragon 2.0 and Seahf 150 like you.

Cygnus is great but very little bass impact/depth!!!! Keep this in mind.
Asura 2.0 also great, has more treble extension but you may find the vocals and bass a little rough.

Qian39 - about $10, awesome awesome sound so much like Seahf 150 but warmer.
Monk Plus - more balanced, less warm/fun than Qian39
TY Hi-Z 650 - so so good but iPhone will not drive them to their best by itself. Not sure if i can recommend to someone just using weaker smartphone without amp.

The TY 650 is great but even the Monk Plus sounds ever so slightly lacking on iPhone IMO, at least compared to some other phones, the Qian39 for a cheap one is really really great though. If the lack of deep deep bass of the Cygnus does not bother you, the rest of it is great. The Asura 2.0 is a good choice if you want more treble and bass extension than the Cygnus.

I have not heard the Moondrop VX Pro but it sounds like it is very neutral, so my thoughts is it will be similar sounds to TY 650 but less bass probably.

I will post my thoughts about Green Ting when it is delivered, hoping it's good for old school hip hop too.

Thanx man a lot for your comment. Hope will decide soon)

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #12,170 of 75,272
  As awesome as removable cables on earbuds are. I really hate MMCX. That said I have a mmcx cable lying around so if they get stellar reviews i'll get a no cable set.

At least it is removable which is good if you find fit a bit loose and the top may tilt out a bit. Then it is easy to put a couple O-rings on to toe out the bottom and fix. Of course I would prefer two pin.

Speaking of cables I wonder what would be a good choice for them. Graphene does/should not need silver plated or silver as it is about having a brighter and more articulate treble. I don't think these need anything, at least for my gear, that goes to more treble or thins out the sound or a colder direction. I think the Mee P1 cable is higher impedance and smoother sound to it and has no memory portion though it costs more than the PT15 unless on sale.

Of course, best to hear a bit about how they actually sound with a few impressions first. If on here please make sure you state your cable when giving your impression.
wink_face.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #12,171 of 75,272
IMO, we should not ALL jump on the **** PT15 at such an early stage. Let a few guys get it first to give it a test drive. Even though it looks like the holy grail of speaker membrane construction, graphene is virtually untested in any commercial application. It might have a totally uncontrolled sound with peaks & valleys all over the FR or a completely flat response from 5 to 50k but utterly boring sound. Let a small recce groups suss it out first. Let's keep the hype train parked up for now until there's a ballpark idea what this thing sounds like.

EDIT: Just read the brochure specs, I think it says 1db variance from 15hz to 250khz! I really hope it not true (Luckily, it's an Ali specs) or I read it wrongly. Will be as exciting as doing my tax returns.

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #12,174 of 75,272
**** with green cable ordered from Aliexpress !

Got a $2 off coupon.
tongue.gif

Don't forget to come back and post impressions when you get em, cool?
smily_headphones1.gif

@BloodyPenguin Have you heard the Qian39 and possible to compare to those Vido's you have (I forget the name, but the cheap Taobao ones you said had the best bass you knew) because the Qian39's bass is so comparable to the depth & power of the TY 650 I think it might deserve a review.

Oct 17, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #12,175 of 75,272

**** with green cable ordered from Aliexpress !

Got a $2 off coupon.
tongue.gif

Don't forget to come back and post impressions when you get em, cool?
smily_headphones1.gif

@BloodyPenguin Have you heard the Qian39 and possible to compare to those Vido's you have (I forget the name, but the cheap Taobao ones you said had the best bass you knew) because the Qian39's bass is so comparable to the depth & power of the TY 650 I think it might deserve a review.

How Qian39 is compare to Borseman 98 ?

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #12,176 of 75,272
Guys what buds are better for old school hip-hop ? Listening mostly to instrumentals however sometimes listen to pop,funk and ambient. Can't decide really what to buy. Was thinking about vx pro moondrop, Cygnus, asura 2.0, hp650. I don't have a source with an amp , listen from iPhone 5s. But will buy in future ibasso dx50. Budget is 70$. Had seahf 150 3.0 and enjoyed them. Had sunrise dragon 2.0 and enjoyed them more than seahf. However seahf was not durable and starter to click-quack on bass punch peaks.( what would u recommend ? Ps: sorry for bad English .

Out of curiosity, "old school" as in 90's hip hop or more 80's?

I'd recommend Monk+ and, if you can spring more, the Ostry KC08.

By the way, the new De La Soul album is great if haven't heard it yet (and mastered with quite a big low end bump).

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #12,177 of 75,272
IMO, we should not ALL jump on the **** PT15 at such an early stage. Let a few guys get it first to give it a test drive. Even though it looks like the holy grail of speaker membrane construction, graphene is virtually untested in any commercial application. It might have a totally uncontrolled sound with peaks & valleys all over the FR or a completely flat response from 5 to 50k but utterly boring sound. Let a small recce groups suss it out first. Let's keep the hype train parked up for now until there's a ballpark idea what this thing sounds like.

EDIT: Just read the brochure specs, I think it says 1db variance from 15hz to 250khz! I really hope it not true (Luckily, it's an Ali specs) or I read it wrongly. Will be as exciting as doing my tax returns.
I agree. Even if **** made decent product before there is no guarantee that they make it right this time. Anyway, I paid for money and gonna w8 for it.

Oct 18, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #12,178 of 75,272
  How Qian39 is compare to Borseman 98 ?

Like total opposites, really. Both are a little tiring to listen to for a while though. Both are also very good being listened to at quiet volumes.

Boarseman has low bass amounts (like Cygnus), very aggressive upper mids and treble. Very Grado-like sound. All around very forward presentation, low soundstage.

Qian39 comparable soundstage to Monk+. Warmer than Monk+ but slightly better treble extension. Pretty great sub bass. Tons and tons of mid bass. Very fun sound. I think it is also more balanced and neutral than Boarseman 98.

@kinetic758 I have never heard the Ostry. If you're local (Boston) let me know.... could hold a mini earbud listening party :)

Oct 18, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #12,180 of 75,272

@kinetic758
I have never heard the Ostry. If you're local (Boston) let me know.... could hold a mini earbud listening party
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately, I'm in California but have always want to visit Boston. I'll be sure to let you know when I make my visit!

Do you really like Ostry KC08 sound ?
I never used this more than 3/4 times in last 10 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back