Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 14, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #11,941 of 75,315

But some (most?) people only have the one pair and basically use it until it no longer works.

Wait, some people only have one earbud?  What?!?  How do you even call that living?  
eek.gif

Tell me about it! Look around at people not on Head-Fi. One, maybe two - iem, earbud or on ear. If they have two, one is for the gym. We're not like everybody else.
I think 2% of the people own 90% of the gear! 

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #11,943 of 75,315
I agree with you - I can't imagine having only one earbud. But some (most?) people only have the one pair and basically use it until it no longer works.

I miss those days of innocence :rolleyes:

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #11,946 of 75,315
  Any info if other K's are worth getting?

There is at least two more versions (64,150 and I heard abot 1k if I am not mistaken)

I have ordered 500 Ohm and 64 Ohm Ks in the beginning of September but they are still in the mail. Probable I will get them in the next week. I waited something like 2 weeks for K's to ship them to Bhiner agent. Maybe they are made to order.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #11,947 of 75,315
Take a look at shozy Cygnus. It is about $90 and it's well received. It is also very comfortable and sound good unamped. The 650 will need an amp and it's very new and people might be in honeymoon phase with it. Sorry I don't have any of them and I'm also looking for one, but from what I see the shozy is one of few earbuds everyone likes if you don't mind a white cable turns into green. Also AUGLAMOUR RX-1 with similar sound at lower price but has polarized reviews and the fit is an issue for some.

You can't go wrong with Monk Plus or TY Hi-Z 32ohm for $5-8. You save money and see if you like earbuds.

BTW, you need a quiet environment to enjoy earbuds.

My recommendation of RX-1 was based on msknight's favorite music listed on msknight's profile page. I didn't find there any hip-hop stars so I thought RX-1 may pair pretty well with that music. But of course there are multiple good choices. As for RX-1, it has special place in my earbuds collection - this is my reference earbud for neutral and transparent sound. If we may think of all earbuds as placed on different points of spider's web, RX-1 would be a spider sitting right in the center hub. It is easy to navigate from here later into any preferable direction. Getting few cheaper buds for the start is also very good idea - these will become beacons that will help the beginner to navigate  through the endless sea of earbuds... :)

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #11,948 of 75,315
  My recommendation of RX-1 was based on msknight's favorite music listed on msknight's profile page. I didn't find there any hip-hop stars so I thought RX-1 may pair pretty well with that music. But of course there are multiple good choices. As for RX-1, it has special place in my earbuds collection - this is my reference earbud for neutral and transparent sound. If we may think of all earbuds as placed on different points of spider's web, RX-1 would be a spider sitting right in the center hub. It is easy to navigate from here later into any preferable direction. Getting few cheaper buds for the start is also very good idea - these will become beacons that will help the beginner to navigate  through the endless sea of earbuds... :)

I agree with this. Starting out with a higher end earbud when you've never used them could cause some dissatisfaction with the entire earbud genre if you will. I would get the RX1 or TP16 or maybe even a Yuin PK3 and see which fits best, the sound signature you like(the 3 are pretty similar slight variations of the same signature). What you don't like sell or gift as none of those is over $25 each.  From there jump into the deep end. Heck I'd even suggest getting an MP first to even see if you like earbuds, my wife does not like them at all so any no matter the cost or value are desirable to her, she steals my IEM's all the time.  

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #11,949 of 75,315

​Nice! Anyone got any idea what the difference between version 1 and 2 is?

Version 2 is a sort of Black Edition with supposedly better cable 1964JH which is also on TY earbuds and the fancy carbon fiber jack plug.
On Taobao, it says it's MX500 shells.
I'll wait for K's 600 Black Edition
popcorn.gif
 and an other amp 
tongue.gif

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #11,950 of 75,315
Where on aliexpress/ebay/taobao can I buy ear foams that have similar physical properties (fluffy & porous) as VE Monk's orange ear foams?
The cheap black ones sold are just too thin and "opaque".

I need a bag of those, in any colour.
Thanks.

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #11,954 of 75,315
but no orange. sorry.
frown.gif

maybe some donut too.
biggrin.gif

http://s.aliexpress.com/uQ3iey2M

I hear you on the donuts (no pun intended), for the life of me, I simply don't know how to put on the run-of-the-mill black donut foams. It flip flops all over the place, except properly on the circumference of the earbud. Will the Hiegi donuts, that everyone talks about, be any easier?

Oct 14, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #11,955 of 75,315
What Dac/Amp do you guys use with your earbuds with your computers? Is there any benefit from having an amp for earbud that does not require an amp?

I am using DFB and it sounds good, but no volume control is annoying... Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back