Earbuds Round-Up
May 20, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #4,743 of 75,229
Sadly, my SeaHf  400 ohm's developed a horrible buzzing in one driver. Makes me question the build quality of these units cause I don't think I have even 100 hours on these yet and @music4mhell 's SeaHf's started buzzing too.

Hoping it's just a hair stuck in it or something...

May 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #4,745 of 75,229
All my monks and monk+ are perfect still - fingers crossed and knock on wood! - but it's sadder when it happens to a $70 earbud than a $5 on
frown.gif
e

May 20, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #4,746 of 75,229
  Sadly, my SeaHf  400 ohm's developed a horrible buzzing in one driver. Makes me question the build quality of these units cause I don't think I have even 100 hours on these yet and @music4mhell 's SeaHf's started buzzing too.

Hoping it's just a hair stuck in it or something...

My Monk + only play out of one earbud after less than 5 hrs of playing. Had them for one day..... † ....

Stuff like this are my biggest fears in getting earbuds in the high price range.

May 20, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #4,747 of 75,229
I've gone through a ton of earbuds, IEMs and headphones and this is the second time it's ever happened to me. The other time was Hifiman ES100 but I got those replaced under warranty. I'll see if I can get these seahf replaced.

May 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,748 of 75,229
Quote:
  I've gone through a ton of earbuds, IEMs and headphones and this is the second time it's ever happened to me. The other time was Hifiman ES100 but I got those replaced under warranty. I'll see if I can get these seahf replaced.

The ES100 had the same issue for me as well.

May 20, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #4,749 of 75,229
The Tomahawk under the new design (Toneking) also started buzzing in deeper bass responses in the left channel after few days of listening :/

The good build quality is only optically as it seems.

May 20, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #4,750 of 75,229
The Tomahawk under the new design (Toneking) also started buzzing in deeper bass responses in the left channel after few days of listening :/

The good build quality is only optically as it seems.

Why is this coincidentally the same issue as my toneking tomahawks? Same left ear buzzing but mine was extreme screeching level.
I wonder if both of ours is just bad luck or a bad batch. Has anyone also had issues with the left ear in the tomahawks buzzing wise?

May 20, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #4,751 of 75,229
Why is this coincidentally the same issue as my toneking tomahawks? Same left ear buzzing but mine was extreme screeching level.
I wonder if both of ours is just bad luck or a bad batch. Has anyone also had issues with the left ear in the tomahawks buzzing wise?

Hmm will update (if there is) any problems of mine if they ever arrive. Could be a matter of luck as well as those who kept quiet probably have no problems at all, dare I assume.

May 20, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #4,753 of 75,229
Hi all,

have the H185 and the Tomahawk for testing since a week. Wanted to share a more detailed review, but for now a short one :).

In short, the H180 has the deepest and hardest bass, while the H185 has more resolution. And more clarity and extension in the higher frequencies. 

The Tomahawk is clean with the resolution inbetween H180 and H185, but the bass is similiar to the H185, while H180 plays in a different league than both.

Due to the better bass response, the H180 is my favorite among all three, followed by the H185 for the supreme resolution, clarity, better build quality than the H180 and for its superb price/performance ratio. The Tomahawk would be excellent, but few days into listening it started to distort badly in the left channel. So the higher price point gives nice optics and theoretically better durability, but practically speaking it doesn't seem to be the case.

Now we would need an H185 with the bass extension and quality from the H180 and let's say a fair price increasement up to 15-20 dollars and it would be the best :D

Taking BloodyPenguin's ratings as a relative base, here my rating-additions:

Tomahawk:
Lows - 6 / Mids - 8 / Highs - 6 / Soundstage - 8   (Penguin's rating)

Ting:
Lows - 4 / Mids - 7 / Highs - 7 / Soundstage - 8   (Penguin's rating)

Monk:
Lows - 5 / Mids - 6 / Highs - 6 / Soundstage - 6   (Penguin's rating)

Edifier 180:
Lows - 8 / Mids - 7.5 / Highs - 5.75 / Soundstage - 5   (my rating)

Edifier 185:
Lows - 6 / Mids - 8.5 / Highs - 6.5 / Soundstage - 6   (my rating)

I'd also correct the soundstage of the Tomahawk more towards 7 or that of Monk and the Edifiers with +1 to have a more correct relation, at least to these ears here with the source being a Xonar D1 PC-Soundcard. Also haven't heard the Ting, therefore the highs may not be in correct relation aswell, but one may get the quality direction :)

Happy listening! :)

May 21, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #4,754 of 75,229
SUR and JBM are the same maker. I guess the origin of those names are from Shure and JBL respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back