Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 19, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #1,278 of 75,424

Golov, you seem to have a weeee bit of experience with earbuds lol. My first and only pair of earbuds comprise of the VE Zen and Asura beta. I didn't think I'd really like earbuds in general, but it turns out that I like them better than iems (I find them much more comfortable and healthier for the ears also imo), and the Zens are now probably my most listened to head gear (due to many factors including SQ).

I know that you also like the Zens, so my question to you is, what other earbuds would you consider worthy for an earbud neophyte?

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #1,280 of 75,424
Jul 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #1,282 of 75,424
  Hey everyone. I got the E100 yesterday and I've been playing with them for a while. The exact model I bought was the "GranVela Mrice E100". Box is marked Mrice and comes with the headphones in a small plastic bag and two pairs of foams (one donut type). Headphones are marked "Baldoor" on the plug, so yeah there's some weird chinese corporation stuff going on with these in Europe. These costed me 20€ shipped.

That being said, a quick first impression review.

Build quality: pretty good all-plastic, cable is interesting to say the least, seems very sturdy. Manufacturing quality is overall ok. Jack is "gold" plated.

Comfort: these are relatively big and I wish they had that part extending downward from the driver (sorry for the crude explanation, my English is not cooperating this morning) like regular earbuds because this way they are kinda hard to keep in place, as soon as you touch the cable you get some slight movement. Other than that they're regular earbuds and don't take much adjusting to do. You'd have to have a gaping ear canal to fit these sideways or insert them, so I wear them normally.

My usage: I bought these as portable and chillout headphones for when I don't want to wear my fullsize cans and because I don't like ear-canal earbuds. Most of my collection is 320kbps mostly, and I have no amps. My PC has a Xonar DGX low end dedicated soundcard, and I have two smartphones, a Sony Xperia Z3 and a Samsung Galaxy S4. I highly recommend using the foams, I use regular foams.

Sound: these do sound really good (for earbuds). There's literally no way these sound better than full size headphones or IEMs, but when it comes to earbuds, I'd say they're like a darker sounding K319 with much better bass, which is top tier in my opinion. The K319 was extremely bright with insane amounts of treble detail but these are less bright than those and just as detailed. They definitely beat the Senn MX580 and MX880 in all respects, and there's no competition with the cheaper AKG Y15 (15€). There is lots of micro details, bass is punchy and not bloated, and midrange is ok. Vocals sound very nice on those, especially female vocals. These can also resolve fast and "messy" music very well, stuff like uplifting trance, japanese eurobeat, chiptune and stuff like that definitely sounds good and well defined. Classical also sounds good to me, I'm no connoisseur and unfortunately I've never been to a live performance, but I think my favourite classical cd (Vivaldi La Stravaganza by Rachel Podger) sounds very good, not as good as my Senn HD558 obviously but totally listenable.
Something that I expected to be better is Soundstage, it's there but I feel like there's something missing, sound is not as spacy as I hoped, but still pretty good for earbuds.
Finally, one note on the volume, these are insanely loud, you will blow your ears off if you max out the volume on a PC. On my PC, the AKG Y15 needs 90-100 to sound loud, these are loud enough at 40. My phones can drive these well enough, volume is good at around 70%. Unfortunately since Android only has 15 steps, there's quite a bit of a sound gap between say, 12 and 13, so since these are this crazy loud you'll have some songs sounding either too low or too loud.

Prices MX580 (35€) E100 (20€) Y15 (15€)
Comfort MX580 (literally perfect for me) -> Y15 (just as good as the MX but slightly bigger) ----> E100 (average)
Build Quality Y15 (metal meshes, high quality plastic, ok cable) ----> E100 (good cable, good plastic) -> Mx580 (crappy everything)
Sound E100 (highest details and bass quality) -> MX580 (laid back, darker, good detail) ----> Y15 (muddy)
Volume output E100 ----> MX580 ---------> Y15

There's no K319 because I broke them, I can only remember their impressive clarity. Also note that E100doesn't have a volume control, MX580 has it but it's worthless and has been uneven and with huge gaps since day one, Y15 has it and it works well (same piece as the one on K319 actually).

Thanks for reading, I'll update this if the sound changes with burn in or if I find out something else about them. Now I'm waiting for the JiuShao, hoping the do arrive at some point.

Thank you for the review. However, I'm afraid about that dark sound. I don't like it to be dark, i want it to be airy, even if it's only distortion. 
About Awei ES10, you can forget them. The more I listen to them, the more I realize that they have a bad voicing. They don't sound right, detailed, nor engaging.
Back to scratch again, I don't know what to buy. E100 were on my shopping list, but now I have some doubts.

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,283 of 75,424
golov, i saw your posts about Coogoo dx400 & suvov s20.
My local seller starting to sell them.
Which one have better bass & vocal quality?

And how about meizu ep21hd? Is it have thin bass just like DIY Powerbeats?
Cogoo DX400 for vocal, Suvov S20 for rock, pop music. Meizu EP21HD not recomended..

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,287 of 75,424
I've got the Baldoor Earbell E100, which is the same as Mrice E100. I would not consider them dark. I've also got the AKG K319 in my somewhat too big collection, and the K319 are a bit brighter than the E100. Bass is better overall on the E100. To me, the K319 lack depth in the soundstage and instrument separation is so so. E100 has got a better depth than the K319 and better instrument separation. So overall, I prefer the E100 to the K319. But I like the sort of dry sound of the K319 which is why I keep them. Also, they have good synergy with my somewhat digital sounding Cowon MP3 players (X5 and S9). My E100 don't go well together with my Cowon DAP:s and highs become too harsh and bright.

My biggest problem with the E100 is the fit. They are a bit too big and the earbud housing lacks a stem that can help secure the earbuds in my ears. Considering price/performance, I put the E100 on the number 1 position on my earbud list. They are not the best sounding ones, but definitely in my top 10 list. I've bought earbuds for 10 times the price of the E100 that don't sound as good...

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,289 of 75,424
How come the Sennheiser MX 375 and MX365 are barely mentioned here? Are these cheap crappy earbuds not even worthy of the briefest commentary?

Quite surprising because elsewhere on the web, they are well discussed, reviewed... Just not here.

Jul 19, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,290 of 75,424
  Danneq, thank you for the input.

Can you also enumerate the top 10 earbuds for you, regardless of price?

Well, I can only roughly rank the earbuds since my preferences might change and different earbuds will have different synergy with different sources.

My number 1 and 2 earbuds are pretty much constant, and it will take a lot for an earbud to make it into my top 5.

Please note that many of my earbuds are discontinued...

1. Blox TM7 (balance, detail and just about anything I could want from an earbud)
2. Sennheiser MX980 (Very close to Blox TM7 in sound except for bass not being as good)
3. Sony MDR E252 (Vintage Sony earbud that also is close to TM7, although not as good)
4. Sony MDR E282 (Another vintage Sony earbud)
5. Sony MDR E484 (Perhaps the most legendary Sony vintage earbud. Bass is amazingly deep but still bass detail is great)
6. Aiwa HP D9 (Top end Aiwa earbud from the early 90's. It is not very balanced since bass is very poor, but the highs are amazing and detail and soundstage is out of this world).
7. Baldoor Earbell E100 (Great detail and soundstage and a pretty good balanced pair of earbuds)
8. Blox BE3 (a bit more bassy than the E100. Great sound considering they cost only $38 with shipping included...)
9. Aiwa HP V2 (really old Aiwa earbuds that still sound quite good. A bit thin but still detailed and sweet sound).
10. Dasetn M760 (A better version of the Sennheiser MX760. I owned the MX760 but sold them since they sounded a bit artificial to me. M760 has got a big soundstage like the MX760 but a much more natural sound)

(I would probably place AKG K319 on place 11 or 12...)

If I were to make a list of only earbuds that are currenntly sold it would probably be something like this:
1. Baldoor Earbell E100
2. Blox BE3
3. Dasetn M760
4. Pioneer SE-CE521K
5. Dasetn M1/MX1 (MX was an earlier version of M1 with better quality cable)
6. KZ OMX2 (quite dark sounding, but with with some EQing, they sound very good)
7. Yuin PK2
8. Tingo TC100

I think I'll leave it at 8 since the other ones of my earbuds that currently are in production do not really qualify...

Right now, the only earbud I'm waiting for is the new flagship earbud from Blox. If it beats the TM7, it will be my new number 1...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back