Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #69,481 of 75,861
That would indeed be a cool experiment, but is there even enough room to put a crossover in there? I hope you DO get time to do this, because I would love to hear how it goes. :wink:

In the meantime, figure out how to fix the sound on the M4 would ya'??? ROFL In all seriousness though, I don't hold out much hope for the M4 because there is just NO room between the driver and the back of the shell other than the tiny hole where the filter goes (which doesn't help the upper mid "ice pick" BTW (at least not enough to make a difference).

The problem with this is that I absolutely love everything about the M4 EXCEPT the sound, and even that wouldn't be so bad if they didn't hurt to listen to them... :smirk:

Depending on design could be as simple as a small resistor and/or capacitor. So definitely doable...

For the m4, maybe some extra porting?

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #69,482 of 75,861
Depending on design could be as simple as a small resistor and/or capacitor. So definitely doable...

For the m4, maybe some extra porting?
I guess that is true. :)

I thought about that, but it seems as though there isn't even room to do that anywhere... The driver butts right up against, and even pushes flat to the back of the shell plate. And there is really no other spot to drill in the back plate of the shells, because there are electronics behind that. It just seems to be a really bad design for sound (great for modularity though).

20220921_131755.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #69,483 of 75,861
I've built crossovers for headphones before--even built a prototyping board for the purpose but made to use between the cable and amp. For multi driver headphones, more intense cable mods are needed for prototyping. All of it is very doable however and I've done it before. Some bud drivers actually have little resistors glued to them. For the complexity of a crossover/passive filtering (which I really mean passive filter for all of this post, but the ST20Pro could really use a crossover as part of it) needed for the ST20 Pro, a separate plug-in box will be necessary as far as I can imagine in my head. IOW, I will likely need inductors (which I may have to build myself....), but I would certainly model without them to see how close I could get. In art, limiting yourself can spur creativity. I'm less sure that's the case with crossovers however LOL. It's something I'm going to look into for sure though.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #69,484 of 75,861
If you are getting expletive treble from the DLC or CNT, your diaphragm is likely crumpled. Try sucking the face of it gently. If you go too hard you will destroy the driver and I'm not responsible for your actions. Just letting you know that you don't have to live with bad treble from the DLC. Muted treble, "yes" (unless you tune it out, but you're in a game of whack-a-Mole) but it will have worse effects elsewhere IMO.
I don't have them anymore (one side died after using it for a bit so I removed the other one to get a look at the diaphragm)
buds in general have been quite smooth from my experience.
In all seriousness, bud graphs are just as useful as any other graph for headphones. Unfortunately not a lot of bud graphers have a proper rig for such a thing. Many of the graphs on AE look like they are pressing the driver right up to a mic.
They are typically measured with an adapter that looks something like a uhm uhh, I personally measure on a condenser microphone though, pretty consistent and useful enough for me, I'm just an idiot and forget to save my configurations.

1682538263420.png

unknown.png

Attachments

• 1682538249550.png
    1682538249550.png
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #69,485 of 75,861
I don't have them anymore (one side died after using it for a bit so I removed the other one to get a look at the diaphragm)
buds in general have been quite smooth from my experience.

They are typically measured with an adapter that looks something like a uhm uhh, I personally measure on a condenser microphone though, pretty consistent and useful enough for me, I'm just an idiot and forget to save my configurations.

1682538263420.png
unknown.png
Any measurement mic worth its salt is a condenser, so I would worry about that. The graphs do look like expletive treble, but without knowing more about your rig, the graphs aren’t very helpful for an outsider. They should still be helpful to you however.

I’ve only seen @captione measure with a rig like that. We call it the Dilmo. I would doubt that’s how they are measured from manufacturers on AE unless you have evidence to the contrary? I know I’ve seen one of those manufacturers state the name of their coupler once, but ai don’t recall where. I just knew it wasn’t a rig that resembled reality and looked no further. Just gleaned what information I could by how it compares to rigs that do resemble reality.

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #69,486 of 75,861
I’ve only seen @captione measure with a rig like that. We call it the Dilmo. I would doubt that’s how they are measured from manufacturers on AE unless you have evidence to the contrary?
cap doesn't use the dilmo anymore iirc
fake ear canal and concha going into a line in mic, manufacturers use a fully sealed rig 100% though, riku has old bud graphs using the dilmo and iec711 and it looks similar.

Any measurement mic worth its salt is a condenser, so I would worry about that. The graphs do look like expletive treble, but without knowing more about your rig, the graphs aren’t very helpful for an outsider. They should still be helpful to you however.
I put my buds up to the centre of my desktop mic, that's it, that's my rig

their best use is for saving configurations in REW in a way i can remember, they're not too inaccurate though to my ear

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #69,487 of 75,861
cap doesn't use the dilmo anymore iirc
fake ear canal and concha going into a line in mic, manufacturers use a fully sealed rig 100% though, riku has old bud graphs using the dilmo and iec711 and it looks similar.

I put my buds up to the centre of my desktop mic, that's it, that's my rig

their best use is for saving configurations in REW in a way i can remember, they're not too inaccurate though to my ear
So who is usually measuring with a dilmo? I've seen some of the old Riku graphs... Yeah, those were not usable--maybe not even for him.

You have an LDC? Is it cardioid? Nonetheless, it may not sound like what you hear, but it could still be used for tuning once you learn the correlation. Each shell type might have a different correlation. You can see it still has some of the same features as the AE graph.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #69,488 of 75,861
So who is usually measuring with a dilmo? I've seen some of the old Riku graphs... Yeah, those were not usable--maybe not even for him.
nobody uses the dilmo
You have an LDC? Is it cardioid? Nonetheless, it may not sound like what you hear, but it could still be used for tuning once you learn the correlation. Each shell type might have a different correlation. You can see it still has some of the same features as the AE graph.
It's cardioid, SDC i think, which is why i position the bud on the centre of it so my graphs are consistent, it does change quite a lot based on positioning, but is consistent at each position.

1682585521808.png

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #69,493 of 75,861
For those looking to get into earbuds, I can't stress enough how important it is to get a good seal. Try different foams and use the one that gives the best fit. I was having trouble getting a good fit with the Yinman 600s but I finally settled on the white foam from the GAS2s, they are basically low density foam. Due to the dark signature, I highly recommend going low density on these buds.

Apr 27, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #69,494 of 75,861
Apr 27, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #69,495 of 75,861
Alright, that's a plenty fair price for [flatheads] with a braided MMCX cable, thanks. The cable itself doesn't look bad at all either. I'll pick these up in a couple months, most likely.
Did I say months? Oops.
For those looking to get into earbuds, I can't stress enough how important it is to get a good seal.
Oddly enough, I'm running the NSC 80ohm LCP buds with a semi-seal. The midbass is a bit overwhelming with a full seal, but running partial seal seems to clear up the highs a bit. It probably helps that they're open-back.
P_20230427_190805.jpg

Thanks to @JAnonymous5150 for recommending these. They're pretty fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back