Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 5, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #66,976 of 75,861
Need some time to listen more but some initial impressions:

Bass is leaner on the Sun Copper vs the Serratus but it is cleaner - not as much rumble as I'd like but it's very detailed. Serratus wins in sub-bass extension and rumble, Sun Copper wins in clarity. No other bud I have heard has sub-bass quite like the Serratus but they are very different - like comparing apples to oranges :p

Sun Copper mids are probably the cleanest I've heard in any transducer - it's making everything else I listen to sound fuzzy on A/B.

Treble is very airy and sparkly - very well-extended and very natural sounding. Similar to Serratus in this respect here - need more time to compare though.

I can already say Sun Copper's resolution is best in class from lows-to-highs (among the transducers I've owned or heard). I'm hearing details I've never heard before in songs I've heard a million times before regardless of transducer type.

Stage is very wide and deep with great separation and imaging. I think Sun Copper takes it by a hair here as it does have better separation and more precise imaging and positioning. The Serratus does sound a bit more like a 2.1 system though which is super nice.

One thing to note: Sun is a tricky fit - takes some playing around to get it seated right but it does stay firmly in place once!
Sounds fabulous! Congratulations with a worthy addition to your collection!

How do you feel the Sun Copper compares to the Ripples?

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #66,977 of 75,861

Attachments

• PXL_20221130_210350247.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221130_210350247.MP.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #66,978 of 75,861
Add me to the list of 80LCP owners!
Just put this one together! Thanks for sending the drivers over for me to try @tgx78 :pray:

Oddly enough, I haven't done my own build with the 80ohm LCPs but I have done one with the 300ihm LCPs. So how does your build sound?

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #66,979 of 75,861
Oddly enough, I haven't done my own build with the 80ohm LCPs but I have done one with the 300ihm LCPs. So how does your build sound?
It's still stock right now haha. Will be trying to tune it this week. A little worried because the diy earbuds guide says it's hard to tune 😅

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #66,980 of 75,861
It's still stock right now haha. Will be trying to tune it this week. A little worried because the diy earbuds guide says it's hard to tune 😅

The 300ohm has some quirks to it, too, but the potential is easy to hear and few experiements will get you headed in the right direction. Once you get the hang for pushing the tuning in the right direction it starts to come together pretty quick. That's been my experience for most drivers regardless of over ear or earbud application. Keep me/us posted on how it turns out.

Dec 6, 2022 at 5:40 AM Post #66,981 of 75,861
The 300ohm has some quirks to it, too, but the potential is easy to hear and few experiements will get you headed in the right direction. Once you get the hang for pushing the tuning in the right direction it starts to come together pretty quick. That's been my experience for most drivers regardless of over ear or earbud application. Keep me/us posted on how it turns out.

Still, if you don't get something decent, we can always help you @drewbadour .

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #66,982 of 75,861
The FF5s have arrived. On all three foam types, they sounded hollow and diffused, but they have a good bass impact and are not harsh on female voices.

Being exceptionally lightweight means excellent comfort. Even better fit than those MX500 shells for me. The stock cable is slightly stiff though.

Hopefully, I will grow accustomed to the sound as I listen more.

In comparison with FF3, it is not as warm sounding. There is less low-frequency extension than FF3, but its impact has remained the same, and the sense of speed has been significantly enhanced.

At the moment, my favorite is TGXear Serratus (Hiegi donut foam), which outperforms the FF5 in every aspect and sounds the closest to my Meze Elite headphone.

I would love to hear what other people think of the FF5 :ksc75smile:

ffb1.jpg

ffb2.jpg

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #66,983 of 75,861
Looks like Smabat abandoned the original prototype M4 Bluetooth module for this S1 version. Look at the size difference. Looks like S1 has a microphone hole. Maybe they made it bigger to also hold a bigger battery?

Original prootype:
11791672.jpg

Latest S1:
11924422.jpg

Anyways bros, it seems this TWS Smabat thing features a modular BT concept with swappable drivers from the M4 lineage.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....tQoqBi8KDPcTeXGfkjcqvBzzRl&id=100063718818578

318090580_567413212059301_99262390594491977_n.jpg

318126307_567424595391496_1829209030948471815_n.jpg

I gotta say, SMABAT has always tried to push boundaries with creative concepts - eg tuning switches on their IEMs, swappable modular drivers on their earbuds, and now this TWS, and even attempting BAs with traditional earbuds.

Although not all of these ideas succeed (I'm still pretty bummed after purchasing the icepick Smabat ST20 Pro hybrid with BA), I do wish the company well. At least they are trying to innovate and I hope the ergonomics don't mess up the dreams they have dreamt up.

Dec 6, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #66,984 of 75,861
I might get a pair of these to have something to use with the stock M4 drivers. Hopefully they tune the housing (either acoustically or with DSP) to bring down that ice-pick. I still listen to the M4 (150ohm) every now and again as it seems to have a really good soundstage, but it's definitely enough to justify what I spent on it.

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #66,986 of 75,861
So when I look at the Smabat earbud TWS concept, I don't want to believe that it will hold steady in my ears with modules containing batteries. Maybe I'm a ken skeptic, I wish I was wrong.
you know, that's actually a great point... might need a stem or an earhook to stay stable

Dec 6, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #66,987 of 75,861
you know, that's actually a great point... might need a stem or an earhook to stay stable
I just tried a quick test with the M4. I put the left bud (with foam) in my ear and let the cable + right bud hang free. I shook my head around pretty good with the long dangling cable + right bud swinging around and the left bud did not budge. I could feel the entire weight in my left ear, but was solid. I did the same with my right ear and same result. I think a long swinging cable is a force multiplier and would be apt to pull the bud out of your ear, but it was solid. Give it a try and see what you think.

Edit: Maybe the downward force due to the cable weight kept the bud in place vs the swinging motion?

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #66,988 of 75,861
The FF5s have arrived. On all three foam types, they sounded hollow and diffused, but they have a good bass impact and are not harsh on female voices.

Being exceptionally lightweight means excellent comfort. Even better fit than those MX500 shells for me. The stock cable is slightly stiff though.

Hopefully, I will grow accustomed to the sound as I listen more.

In comparison with FF3, it is not as warm sounding. There is less low-frequency extension than FF3, but its impact has remained the same, and the sense of speed has been significantly enhanced.

At the moment, my favorite is TGXear Serratus (Hiegi donut foam), which outperforms the FF5 in every aspect and sounds the closest to my Meze Elite headphone.

I would love to hear what other people think of the FF5 :ksc75smile:

ffb1.jpg
ffb2.jpg

My FF5s gave cleared customs so I should be getting them pretty soon. They've actually been moving through the shipping system pretty quickly.

Dec 6, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #66,989 of 75,861
Dec 6, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #66,990 of 75,861
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back