Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 24, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #66,691 of 75,369
Meh :dt880smile:

If anything, it's to satisfy curiosity about the current hype, "help out" a "friend", and also to see a bass tube up close. Everything is alright except that peak at 7k. Drivers are good though. I wonder if other high impedance drivers are as resolving.
Every 300 Ohm driver I have tried is more resolving than every 150Ohm(ish) driver I have tried except the White Glue one (and I’m not done with him yet and he’s still as resolving ). I will say that the 32Ohm version of that driver has the same spike and I considered it at first blush to be more resolving than even my 150Ohm drivers. I just couldn’t get it to where it made my ears happy. It’s so expensive and pretty, but sonically it’s the worst overall driver I’ve used and the only functional units I’ve thrown out. The list of drivers I’ve tuned is massive, so I’m not coming from a place of ignorance. If I can’t listen to it for hours on any playlist, I have no use for such a thing, and I don’t believe in magical tuning abilities. Every time a read things like that I cringe and there’s something dramatically wrong with the tuning. I’m sure that amplifying these smaller frequencies gives you a sense of more detail/resolution, and they should be less annoying than a similarly boosted pinna gain, but they still drive me to “turn that ‘stuff’ down”. You can see on the mics planted in my own ears that there should be a dip in that same range. Definitely not a boost. My ears are not outside of the norm either. My signature has links to demonstrate all of this. Any treble boost under 10kHz will eventually grow fatiguing. Research and intuition agrees. Just screech a chalkboard once and you’ll understand for the rest of your life. It may sound exciting and revealing at first, but ultimately it’ll lead to irritation, fatigue and a future drawer occupancy. That’s the danger of hype trains in this hobby and nothing excites a new audiophile more than a frequency boost somewhere because they sound like magic and revealing at first. The whole “blanket lifted” phenomenon. I mean lifting a blanket off a speaker will allow more treble through… This one should sound more detailed and perhaps with better timbre if you are looking for such a thing. If you are looking for a natural, fatigue free sound, this response won’t be what you are looking for. Still better than a similarly boosted pinna gain in my mind, but I would be tempted to make a notch filter and shave 20dB off that spike. Maybe if I had dramatic hearing loss…. Even then it’s a “maybe”. In truth though, the overall sound of this bud should be helped by the mild bass boost. I’ve always found that one boost or one cut deserves another so to speak. This is the art of it all in my mind. People also have different thresholds and resiliences as well. The pinna gain is definitely in the right ballpark. A set of HieGi foams may also help.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #66,692 of 75,369
Got these... Yincrow Calf

@suicideup did a nice review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yincrow-calf.26155/reviews

I agree with their review. Definitely has the Yincrow signature sound. I like them with full foams and I found if I wear them over ear style the bass increases. They still sound good if worn straight down. I went for the 4.4mm balanced version.

Yincrow Calf.jpg

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #66,693 of 75,369
Got these... Yincrow Calf

@suicideup did a nice review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yincrow-calf.26155/reviews

I agree with their review. Definitely has the Yincrow signature sound. I like them with full foams and I found if I wear them over ear style the bass increases. They still sound good if worn straight down. I went for the 4.4mm balanced version.

Yincrow Calf.jpg
I also received Yincrow Calf with the 4.4mm balanced plug, and I am happy with them, I agree with the review

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #66,694 of 75,369
Meh :dt880smile:

If anything, it's to satisfy curiosity about the current hype, "help out" a "friend", and also to see a bass tube up close. Everything is alright except that peak at 7k. Drivers are good though. I wonder if other high impedance drivers are as resolving.
@o0genesis0o, do you see any measurement changes with the burn-in? (That is, assuming you've had a chance to burn them in yet.)

Nov 24, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #66,695 of 75,369
@o0genesis0o, do you see any measurement changes with the burn-in? (That is, assuming you've had a chance to burn them in yet.)
I will measure again maybe a week from now when I finalise the written review (promised tgx 2 weeks). They still sound the same at this moment, though I have not been using them at much as I expected.

Nov 24, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #66,697 of 75,369
I will measure again maybe a week from now when I finalise the written review (promised tgx 2 weeks). They still sound the same at this moment, though I have not been using them at much as I expected.
4B280E68-1954-476C-B989-3588B827DA9A.jpeg

Here is my measurement with coupler resonance set at 8kHz.

Nov 24, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #66,698 of 75,369
4B280E68-1954-476C-B989-3588B827DA9A.jpeg
Here is my measurement with coupler resonance set at 8kHz.
How do you make this measurement? My resonance peak seems somewhere around 7k and it doesn’t move no matter how I place the buds

Nov 24, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #66,699 of 75,369
How do you make this measurement? My resonance peak seems somewhere around 7k and it doesn’t move no matter how I place the buds
Artificial silicon ear + clear PVC tubing 2.5cm length (9.4mm outer diameter + 6.5mm inner) to mimic average human ear canals.

Earbuds with my stock foam covers sitting on artificial ear -> IEC711 clone.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #66,700 of 75,369
Artificial silicon ear + clear PVC tubing 2.5cm length (9.4mm outer diameter + 6.5mm inner) to mimic average human ear canals.

Earbuds with my stock foam covers sitting on artificial ear -> IEC711 clone.
Wow. Great setup! Very impressive how the 8k lines up to neatly

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #66,701 of 75,369
T

My TGXear Serratus is here. Some thoughts in no particular order:
  • Thoughtful packing and presentation.
  • The cable choice is excellent. The best cable I have ever used bar none. Look good, feel good, very easy to handle, no microphonic at all
  • Craftsmanship is top notch. Everything in the shell is clear and tidy.
  • The bass tube is interesting. I heard that it's actually IEM sound tubes with etymotic dampers inside.
  • Tonality of Serratus is light and airy with plenty treble sparkle around 7-8k region. The midrange sounds very right, if not a touch cold.
  • The treble sparkle is double-edged sword. They are excellent for orchestral and instrumental, but you better lower the volume with sibilant vocal songs, otherwise it's can get fatiguing fast.
  • Resolution of these drivers are outstanding. Easily trade blows with TOTL IEMs that I have heard, even when volume is lowered.
  • Soundstage is very good, perhaps a bit deeper than usual earbuds.
Did you ever get to the bottom of your channel imbalance? I pulled out the second bud I ever tuned by measurements today for a retune with all the tricks I have learned since then. I was surprised how close the drivers still match with old foams.
no2.jpg

These foams are Worn, but of course worn at the same rate. HieGi foams are really well made. These are still essentially in my tolerances of being matched within a dB from 100Hz to 7kHz. I have my doubts about other foams holding up as well as these. When you apply smoothing to these measurements they are indistinguishable from each other.
I decided to buy some NICEHCK PK1, RY4S Plus, Faaeal Iris 2.0 and Lotus. And just look which sound the best to me.
Let us know. I know which one is my pick out of those, but I'd be interested in knowing what you hear. Of course I haven't heard the Nicehck pk1...

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #66,702 of 75,369
Did you ever get to the bottom of your channel imbalance? I pulled out the second bud I ever tuned by measurements today for a retune with all the tricks I have learned since then. I was surprised how close the drivers still match with old foams.
These foams are Worn, but of course worn at the same rate. HieGi foams are really well made. These are still essentially in my tolerances of being matched within a dB from 100Hz to 7kHz. I have my doubts about other foams holding up as well as these. When you apply smoothing to these measurements they are indistinguishable from each other.

Let us know. I know which one is my pick out of those, but I'd be interested in knowing what you hear. Of course I haven't have the Nicehck pk1...
I haven’t opened up the buds, at least until I finalise my review. I can hear channel imbalance with some bassy electronic music today. The bass is slightly tilted to one side, so I needed to shift the buds back and forth until they are imbalance enough to balance the channel imbalance :beyersmile: . Not as bad as Smabat M4.

Boy I wish I have access to a powerful Shanling source or some of those R2R stuffs for a while to test these. My shanling amp is not strong enough, though the tonality does shift a bit toward a warmer and smoother sound. Can’t stand Serratus + megatron combo. Harsh, thin, strident.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #66,703 of 75,369
I got those NiceHCK Traceless buds with the mic, the mic is way too low though. It sits at like stomach level compared to the B40 where it's at your neck. They sound pretty good though but that big MX500 shell is only for limited listening to me. For office usage, I'll stick to either the B40 or Edifier H190 I have.

Btw anyone know of any good deals on an mp3 player right now under $100 or 150ish that has a really solid interface? My iPod Nano 7G has a great interface but the battery sucks and I've reached the 16 GB capacity even after compressing songs from 320 to 192 kbps. Obviously I'm not looking at the absolute best sounding DAP if I'm compressing songs down to 192 lol.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #66,704 of 75,369
I got those NiceHCK Traceless buds with the mic, the mic is way too low though. It sits at like stomach level compared to the B40 where it's at your neck. They sound pretty good though but that big MX500 shell is only for limited listening to me. For office usage, I'll stick to either the B40 or Edifier H190 I have.

Btw anyone know of any good deals on an mp3 player right now under $100 or 150ish that has a really solid interface? My iPod Nano 7G has a great interface but the battery sucks and I've reached the 16 GB capacity even after compressing songs from 320 to 192 kbps. Obviously I'm not looking at the absolute best sounding DAP if I'm compressing songs down to 192 lol.

Is Hidizs AP80 Pro X in your budget? Otherwise, wait for the new version of Shanling M0 and M1 (M3? Whatever)

Edit: m1s https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...t-portable-player.965347/page-5#post-17261857

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #66,705 of 75,369

Check out the Sony A55. I bought mine at $130 USD during sales first hand.

The stock form is a bit meh. But Mr Walkman has kindly provided a free firmware update that unlocks its potential:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/
https://www.mrwalkman.com/

With the firmware update, region locks are unlocked (so no volume cap), and you can customize it to 4 different sound signatures - bright to neutral to warm. The stock sound is buttery smooth and warm like the Sony housesound, but with the custom firmware, technicalities, layering and imaging are better. It sounds like a midFI DAP with the
custom firmware.

There is 2 way BT (very stable), and battery life is about 32 hours.

Only issue is the A55 cannot drive too demanding transducers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back