Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 20, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #66,166 of 75,871
20221020_162646.jpg20221020_163553.jpg

I've just bought this on a whim (Soundpeats Air 3), had a good price for BNIB condition.. and I'm really liking this. look at that really cute and tiny case! :smile:
sound is also surprisingly good, and the fit is so comfortably small that it forgot even wearing it. i recommend this for someone who is looking for earbud style TWS

Congrats, imo these are some of the best value open / side-firing TWS one can buy! So good that I actually own two pairs. :smile:

Even better, the Soundpeats app offers a 6-band in-device equalizer. Which means that once set, the EQ will work with any source, since it's stored inside the TWS.

Here's my recommended EQ-setting for them, it tunes the somewhat hot stock treble a bit down and shifts the low-range balance slightly towards sub-bass:

tmp.jpg

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #66,167 of 75,871
I'll add these to list of considerations. Do you think they could still fit in the case and charge properly with foams?

You don't need foams with side-firing earbuds, they're more efficient than flatheads in directing bass into your ear canals. No need to attenuate treble with foam.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #66,168 of 75,871
Hi,

I'd like to buy earbuds, and I'm hesitating between Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis, Smabat M2s Pro and K's LBBS.
All are about same price (around 70-80€) and have great reviews.

I listen mostly acoustic rock and classical music (no hip hop or electronical music)
I'd like eardbuds to perform good on male voices, acoustic instruments and bass lines, without listening fatigue and be permissive for bad records.

Another major concern of mine is the fit.
I own NiceHCK EBX, and the fit is horrible, so I don't use them anymore and replace them with Qian Q39.

I find the toneking gorgeous, but I fear it'll be too bright. Maybe some equalization is possible to make them sound more warn ?
And I guess they will not fit as well as LBBS...
I have the M2s Pro and the LBBS, and have had issues with both so I will give you my feedback on them.

I have gone through 2 LBBS's, the first one had bad distortion within 3 months, then the next one in one side within 6 months. Great sound and fit, but I don't want to deal with them since they seem to die too quickly.
I got the M2s Pro's a few weeks ago, and they sound great (need a bit of EQ tweaking the 4KHz region) and fit better than MX500 shells (not as good as the LBBS though). However, one of the drivers died shortly the day of me receiving them. I am currently waiting on a replacement for one of the drivers from the seller.

Sound and fit wise, I would rather have the LBBS, but they have proven to have QC issues for me. I can't make a judgement on the M2s Pro yet, but it already started off badly for me (dying on the first day). Don't have any experience with the Dendroaspis Viridis, it was on my short list as well. From what I've gathered, the bass is anemic, so you may need to look out for that.

Oct 20, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #66,169 of 75,871
Hi,

I'd like to buy earbuds, and I'm hesitating between Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis, Smabat M2s Pro and K's LBBS.
All are about same price (around 70-80€) and have great reviews.

I listen mostly acoustic rock and classical music (no hip hop or electronical music)
I'd like eardbuds to perform good on male voices, acoustic instruments and bass lines, without listening fatigue and be permissive for bad records.

Another major concern of mine is the fit.
I own NiceHCK EBX, and the fit is horrible, so I don't use them anymore and replace them with Qian Q39.

I find the toneking gorgeous, but I fear it'll be too bright. Maybe some equalization is possible to make them sound more warn ?
And I guess they will not fit as well as LBBS...
I won't buy the LBBS. I had one and it died in less than 1 year. Even when it worked I enjoyed my other buds more than it.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #66,170 of 75,871
Thanks! I've been thinking about trying a TWS set that are reasonably priced and at least decent sounding (not airpods). I'd use them more for calls, podcasts, maybe TV/movies a little. Not music.

I'll add these to list of considerations. Do you think they could still fit in the case and charge properly with foams?

i tried it with some thin foams, and it still closes and charge. i also tried it with thick Hiegi foams and it would still charge, but i have to push the lid down a bit.

i do use some foams for my old Vivo Neo TWS (and had to do some modification to the charging case to fit the foams), but that's because i feel the sound needs more bass.

For the Air 3, even the stock EQ sound has enough bass that i don't feel the need to use foams at all, and i can add more with EQ if needed.

if you really need extra grip for fitting, i would suggest using these silicone sleeves instead

20221021_085021.jpg

Congrats, imo these are some of the best value open / side-firing TWS one can buy! So good that I actually own two pairs. :smile:

Even better, the Soundpeats app offers a 6-band in-device equalizer. Which means that once set, the EQ will work with any source, since it's stored inside the TWS.

Here's my recommended EQ-setting for them, it tunes the somewhat hot stock treble a bit down and shifts the low-range balance slightly towards sub-bass:

wow, our EQ are somewhat similar! :beyersmile:
Screenshot_20221021-080115_SOUNDPEATS.jpg
i started the EQ flat at 5db to match the gain with the preset EQs, cut away some 300, some 6k and 8.5k, then add a bit of bass.

i tried the adaptive EQ, but didn't like the EQ sound it created.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #66,171 of 75,871

tmp.jpg

You don't need foams with side-firing earbuds, they're more efficient than flatheads in directing bass into your ear canals. No need to attenuate treble with foam.
This statement seems to be in direct conflict with your previous statement. Am I missing something?
I won't buy the LBBS. I had one and it died in less than 1 year. Even when it worked I enjoyed my other buds more than it.
Mine are still alive but I never use them. Nearly all of my buds sound better than these at this point. I’m surprised that at one point I thought these were okay buds.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #66,172 of 75,871
This statement seems to be in direct conflict with your previous statement. Am I missing something?

Mine are still alive but I never use them. Nearly all of my buds sound better than these at this point. I’m surprised that at one point I thought these were okay buds.
You should make a "Ronion buds" firm so that I can order one and try. I would appreciate if you can give a reviewer discount though :dt880smile:

On a related topic, have you seen any DIY parts for the side-firing type of earbuds (Apple knock-off)? I like the fit but not the build or the sound, so I wonder whether we can squeeze better sound out of that form factor.

Oct 21, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #66,173 of 75,871

I've just bought this on a whim (Soundpeats Air 3), had a good price for BNIB condition.. and I'm really liking this. look at that really cute and tiny case! :smile:
sound is also surprisingly good, and the fit is so comfortably small that it forgot even wearing it. i recommend this for someone who is looking for earbud style TWS
Unfortunately i don't share this opinion. I got one and I quickly put it into my unused box. It is so much worse than the Current Nicehck Eb2s i am using.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #66,174 of 75,871
You should make a "Ronion buds" firm so that I can order one and try. I would appreciate if you can give a reviewer discount though :dt880smile:

On a related topic, have you seen any DIY parts for the side-firing type of earbuds (Apple knock-off)? I like the fit but not the build or the sound, so I wonder whether we can squeeze better sound out of that form factor.
These are the closest I've found:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848181142.html

Or these ones if you're feeling more adventurous:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2046557394.html

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #66,175 of 75,871
Unfortunately i don't share this opinion. I got one and I quickly put it into my unused box. It is so much worse than the Current Nicehck Eb2s i am using.

don't worry, different opinions mean a chance to have a discussion :ksc75smile:
i like using full TWS for daily use, and mostly for general media like youtube and such. for purely listening to music on the go, i prefer using IEMs or mmcx earbuds with BT earhooks, but they are much bulkier. the Air3 appeal to me is because of the really small size, comfort, while also provide good enough sound quality for my casual use

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #66,177 of 75,871

You're right, I should have explained that better. I meant that the typical use of foams to make flatheads sound bassier is not something one would typically do with side-firing TWS. And as @chinmie said, even the stock EQ sound on the Air 3 has enough bass that he doesn't feel the need to use foams at all. Actually, the stock EQ is rather v-shaped with somewhat uneven / hot treble. So, the primary reason for our (very similar) EQ settings is the intent to calm down that treble and not to compensate for a possible lack of bass. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

i tried the adaptive EQ, but didn't like the EQ sound it created.

I don't use this feature either with the Soundpeats. According to that test, I'd have perfect hearing (which I know is blatantly false :stuck_out_tongue:). For example, Oppo offer a much more accurate hearing test with the app for their Enco X2. That one is really useful in comparison, however the X2 isn't an open earbud and 4-5 times the price of the Air 3. One just can't have everything for $40-50, but nonetheless I think the Soundpeats' value is outstanding.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #66,178 of 75,871
Oct 21, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #66,179 of 75,871

I think you posted the "review" incorrectly. Your review is actually in the "info" page of the product. You should click on the button "add a review" and write your review there, so that I can like your review. You can have a look at how I create a page for YD30 as an example: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-yd30.26062/

On the other hand, that db1e sounds very interesting.

Oct 21, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #66,180 of 75,871
Can someone recommend best earbuds for under $50?
Yincrow X6. those have such good enjoyable bass, without 'alien technology' that you have to pay crazy dollars for.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back