Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 11, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #64,621 of 75,235
Sorry to hear that. Luckily you have audio hobby which is a positive hobby, although your wallet wouldn't consider that as a positive hobby 😆😆

Happiness is always a good investment! Money comes and goes and I'd rather be enjoying great music through a variety of great gear than counting my cash all Scrooge style listening to garbage. My wallet should be whipped into submission by this point lol! 😂

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #64,622 of 75,235
Hey guys, I just bought a pair of the Penon Audio BS1 Officials that I got for a good used price. I still have to wait for them to be shipped, but in the meantime I have a couple questions I was hoping maybe I could get some answers to.

So first off, I have heard that the fit can be a little temperamental. I have seen some good solutions on the BS1 thread, but if anyone has them I'd love to hear how you wear them and what foam/ring/fin/hook setup you have going on.

Second, I have also read in a few places that the BS1s favor certain sources over others. If anyone has any sources that you think are a good match or have particularly strong synergy with the BS1s I'd be happy to hear about it so I can see what I have that might work well with them.

Obviously, anything other relevant info or advice you guys might have would be welcome. I have heard from a couple people that the BS1s can sound really special if you get it right and after finally finding the right combo to unlock the VE Sun Dice's potential I was hoping to get this right without the two weeks of frustration lol!

Are you talking about this one?

142.gif

They look light and easy to wear though. Craftsmanship looks good too. Looking forward for your impressions.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #64,623 of 75,235
Do you like both? I like PT2021 so I ordered PT2022 but I find it inferior so far. Clarity and resolution are down. Both are 365 versions.

Personally, I never really liked either the PT2022 or the PT2021, in any impedance, due to fatiguing "hot" treble.

Regarding a comparison between the PT2022 and PT2021... sound wise the only difference I had discerned was that the PT2022 had been tuned for slightly more bass but other than that had kept the "house sound" across the board. I don't recall a decrease in resolution, detail, or imaging between the two but I only had the PT2022 for a couple weeks. Perhaps a cable connectivity and/or QA/QC issue perhaps? Did you swap around the cables and inspect the connectors? What is your source (chain) if I may ask? Or... it may very well be that you are a better listener than I and my aging ears missed this entirely :wink: !

That all said, I had listed the PT2021 (high impedance models only) on my now defuncted god-tier list as it did a lot of things very well with incredible staging and timbre. The PT2021 is an ultra-detailed earbud with excellent resolution on nearly the same level as the Rose Maria II and ever so slightly less detailed than the NiceHCK EBX21 (another earbud I think well of but are even more treble unfriendly for me unfortunately). All three are excellent reference option for critical listening... that is if you can handle their bright, cold analytical nature which is way too fatiguing for my ears and gave me horrendous head/earaches. Out of the three the PT2021/PT2022 is far less offensive in these regards but still a "no-go" due to my sensitive ears.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #64,624 of 75,235
Are you talking about this one?

They look light and easy to wear though. Craftsmanship looks good too. Looking forward for your impressions.

That's the one! I will definitely post some impressions for you, but they have to get here from the UK first.

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #64,625 of 75,235
i was free for a time, but alas...

PXL_20220910_223507016.jpg

rikubuds berserker 2

first impressions:
never thought i would hear these levels of bass from earbuds

very dynamic and energetic, very fun listen yet doesnt leave me wanting in other aspects of sq

always really enjoyed the qian39/monk lite shell, so naturally really like these shells
Nice, congrats! Hoping someone can compare the Berserker 2 with the popular FF3 🤞

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #64,626 of 75,235
IMG_2347.jpeg

Gear for today: Creative Sound Blaster X1 > GEM 001 (yup, I name my DIY buds now, I have that much vanity :dt880smile:)

Some quick thoughts about GEM 001 (Version 0.0.1: 64 ohm Ti composite driver + vent + filter):
  • These stock MX500 shells look so cheap and flimsy, but they are very comfortable and durable. I dropped these buds many times in the last few days, but they are just fine. Because they are light, they don't scratch my screens when I accidentally drop the buds on the screens either.
  • My pride would say that GEM 001 matches or even exceeds FF3, especially in holographic soundstage and resolution, whilst keeping up with FF3 in terms of bass quantity. These drivers are amazing.
  • My reviewer-side would say that FF3 still has an upper hand in the bass texture, bass extension, and that grand presentation.
  • A lot more to learn ahead. I'm curious what GEM 002 would sound like, because I have no idea what I am going to make. Going driver shopping on aliexpress at the moment :thinking:

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #64,627 of 75,235

Gear for today: Creative Sound Blaster X1 > GEM 001 (yup, I name my DIY buds now, I have that much vanity :dt880smile:)

Some quick thoughts about GEM 001 (Version 0.0.1: 64 ohm Ti composite driver + vent + filter):
  • These stock MX500 shells look so cheap and flimsy, but they are very comfortable and durable. I dropped these buds many times in the last few days, but they are just fine. Because they are light, they don't scratch my screens when I accidentally drop the buds on the screens either.
  • My pride would say that GEM 001 matches or even exceeds FF3, especially in holographic soundstage and resolution, whilst keeping up with FF3 in terms of bass quantity. These drivers are amazing.
  • My reviewer-side would say that FF3 still has an upper hand in the bass texture, bass extension, and that grand presentation.
  • A lot more to learn ahead. I'm curious what GEM 002 would sound like, because I have no idea what I am going to make. Going driver shopping on aliexpress at the moment :thinking:
Welcome to the DIY rabbithole man, glad you took the plunge. If you think the prebuilts wasn't deep enough, try glossing over drivers, tuning materials, shells, cables and even SOLDERING. :joy:

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #64,628 of 75,235
Nice, congrats! Hoping someone can compare the Berserker 2 with the popular FF3 🤞
unfortunately i dont own a pair nor do i plan to. all future purchases will be from diy makers and i plan to start building my own pairs as well.

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #64,629 of 75,235
I didn’t like the Monk Lite at all. In that shell, I’m not sure there are a lot of options and that the smallest commercial shell I know of. I think the Qian 39 is probably thought of more highly than the Monk, but the Zen LL and Lite even higher but a lot more money.
Thanks. I just ordered monk lite, qian 39 and yincrow x6, as they're so cheap.

What earpad replacement covers do you guys use/rec?

I'm interested in comfort, and will be using for non competitive gaming and tv/movie watching.

Was thinking to grab these...

https://amzn.eu/d/43KyAnU

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #64,630 of 75,235
Thanks. I just ordered monk lite, qian 39 and yincrow x6, as they're so cheap.

What earpad replacement covers do you guys use/rec?

I'm interested in comfort, and will be using for non competitive gaming and tv/movie watching.

Was thinking to grab these...

https://amzn.eu/d/43KyAnU
Can't suggest colored foams. The dye on those kinds of foams are not washed well so it might stain your ears with a lil bit of sweat (and also staining the white finish of your earbuds!). I suggest washing and drying them first before using but that might be a pain to some so I'd just go straight to black foams.
My usual recommendations are Hiegi (full foam and donut) and VE foams (porous, full, both in different densities).

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #64,631 of 75,235
Can't suggest colored foams. The dye on those kinds of foams are not washed well so it might stain your ears with a lil bit of sweat (and also staining the white finish of your earbuds!). I suggest washing and drying them first before using but that might be a pain to some so I'd just go straight to black foams.
My usual recommendations are Hiegi (full foam and donut) and VE foams (porous, full, both in different densities).

Agreed, I had some coloured foams run and discolour my shirt and even cables.

I've boycotted cheap no-name coloured foams since then

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #64,633 of 75,235
Sep 11, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #64,634 of 75,235
IMG_2347.jpeg

64 Ti comp is a great controller, especially good for acoustic music, but... In my opinion it may be too much for other genres with more instruments or overloaded tracks like rock derivatives for example. It must be taken into account that the raw material, that is to say the character of a driver, is the one from the factory, and that cannot be changed, if the raw material is good an excellent tuning can be achieved, but the main properties/character of the sound will always be what it is, there is no more, as we say here: "the miracles in Lourdes".

An example, if you want a sound "everyone likes" use reddot 32 Ohm, but in my case, I will never like it at all....it lacks so many things....yes, the amount of bass can blind you, but there is what there is and there is no more.

Of course, you can't ask for more than a €5 build (reddot), it's incredible value. 64ti comp reminds me a lot of the reddot character 32 etc, it's that universal sound line, that's where it gets serious!!!! Congratulations!!!!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #64,635 of 75,235
64 Ti comp is a great driver, especially good / outstanding for acoustic music, but... IMO it may be too much for other genres with more instruments or overdriven tracks like rock derivatives for example. Keep in mind that the raw material, that is to say the character of a driver, is the one from the factory, and that cannot be changed, if the raw material is good an excellent tuning can be achieved, but the main properties / character of the sound it will always be what it is, there is no more, as we say here: "the miracles in Lourdes".

An example, if you want a sound "that everyone likes" use reddot 32 Ohm, but in my case, I will never fully like it.... it lacks so many things.... yes, the amount of bass can blind you, but there is what there is and there is no more.

Of course you can't ask for more from a €5 build (reddot), it's crazy value. 64ti comp is another story, that's where things get serious!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Thanks! I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything like that. I guess the kind of sound of this driver works well with my library and the criteria that I index when reviewing head-fi gears.

Much more to learn. Much more to try. Looking forward to hear those insane 300ohm and 600ohm drivers :ksc75smile:

Edit: I finally have time to work on the FF3 review. Hopefully I can get it done before a couple of DAC/AMPs and IEMs come for me to review.

Edit 2: The bass of FF3 is truely something special. Even my HD560s headphone and Beyerdynamic COP+ does not provide that kind of textured low end. Cello sounds so addictive on FF3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back