Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #64,006 of 75,871
I already have my watch chest right next to my listening station that holds all of that stuff so I probably would have ended up keeping that box in the closet despite how nice it looks. I have used the pocketable carrying case a couple times already though. I didn't realize the version with the nice box didn't have the case. Now that I know that, I'm actually glad that I got the coffin box version because, in the end, the carrying case it much more useful to me.
Those were ultimately my thoughts also. The only other difference that I have noticed is that the version with the nice box, but without the carry-case also comes with a leather(ette??) cable tie (as seen on @WoodyLuvr's pictures of his), which I miss for looks but not functionality.
Now, I am jealous and want that carry case too! :angry::grin:

Actually, it is one of those plastic Velcro type cable organizers with an older Longyao logo on it. Wish it had been leather... though I immediately replaced it with an extra Blur leather cable organizer that Wong's wife kindly made me.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #64,007 of 75,871
FF3, any reason why only the black version is available on Amazon? Anywhere to get the silver for US? Trying to decide on whichto get. Based on all positive, thinking the 3 might suit me better than the 5. I am just not a fan of mmcx.
I got mine from AE because they were cheaper, and because at that time they didn't have them available on Amazon. And, believe it or not they actually got to me in 11 days (using the standard free shipping). YMMV :)
Another really cool pic would be of your Aiwa HP-V99 and FiiO FF3 sitting next to each other to illustrate how far we have come in 35 years!!! Might as well throw in your Ucotech ES-P1 as well as they are simply too cool looking to not include in a picture (there is a reason why they sit on WoodyLuvr's All-Time Top Twenty Flathead Earbuds by Aesthetics Only list)!
I would also like to see a picture with your piano with all your newly acquired stuff (did you ever post one of your piano???).

Yeah, I tried for about a month to get those Ucotechs (if you remember that fiasco), but apparently it wasn't in the stars for me, so I gave up; I actually ordered the Chaconne instead, which I wouldn't have done otherwise. Fate???
Now, I am jealous and want that carry case too! :angry::grin:

Actually, it is one of those plastic Velcro type cable organizers with an older Longyao logo on it. Wish it had been leather... though I immediately replaced it with an extra Blur leather cable organizer that Wong's wife kindly made me.
Now, this I don't really blame you for because it is a nice (if used in a lot of other types of head gear) case. It is leatherette skinned with a nice texture to it (dragon scale theme???), and semi-hard shell with a very nice zipper and plush interior. But it sounds like you have something unique in its place (which is pretty special IMO).

It is stamped with a picture of a Chinese dragon (logo) with the tail being (what I assume is) the Yinman "Y", and some writing I cannot read (I don't read Chinese). Funny thing is that my phone's camera translates it to "Dragon Magazine". LOL

20220829_025524.jpg

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #64,008 of 75,871
I got mine from AE because they were cheaper, and because at that time they didn't have them available on Amazon. And, believe it or not they actually got to me in 11 days (using the standard free shipping). YMMV :)

I would also like to see a picture with your piano with all your newly acquired stuff (did you ever post one of your piano???).

Yeah, I tried for about a month to get those Ucotechs (if you remember that fiasco), but apparently it wasn't in the stars for me, so I gave up; I actually ordered the Chaconne instead, which I wouldn't have done otherwise. Fate???

Now, this I don't really blame you for because it is a nice (if used in a lot of other types of head gear) case. It is leatherette skinned with a nice texture to it (dragon scale theme???), and semi-hard shell with a very nice zipper and plush interior. But it sounds like you have something unique in its place (which is pretty special IMO).

It is stamped with a picture of a Chinese dragon (logo) with the tail being (what I assume is) the Yinman "Y", and some writing I cannot read (I don't read Chinese). Funny thing is that my phone's camera translates it to "Dragon Magazine". LOL

So on the case it says 龍謡 <<long yao>> which means "dragon". These are the older characters used by Longyao-Yinman = 龍謠音曼

Yep, the dragon's tail in the logo is indeed representative of the initial "y" for the name "Yinman"

1661759991860.png

The company name 龙谣音曼 is now using slightly different (newer) characters 龙谣 instead which phonetically is spoken exactly the same way, as <<long yao>>, and they too translate as "dragon" but also can mean "dragon song" or "dragon ballad". More fitting don't you think?!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #64,009 of 75,871
So on the case it says 龍謡 <<long yao>> which means "dragon". These are the older characters used by Longyao-Yinman = 龍謠音曼

Yep, the dragon's tail in the logo is indeed representative of the initial "y" for the name "Yinman"

1661759991860.png
The company name 龙谣音曼 is now using slightly different characters 龙谣 instead which phonetically is spoken exactly the same way, as <<long yao>>, and they too translate as "dragon" but also can mean "dragon song" or "dragon ballad". More fitting don't you think?!
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up for me good sir! I knew it couldn't be "dragon magazine" like the poor translator was insisting to me... LOL

But, I DO think that is rather fitting that it changed to what it is now. :)

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #64,010 of 75,871

1661759991860.png
The company name 龙谣音曼 is now using slightly different characters 龙谣 instead which phonetically is spoken exactly the same way, as <<long yao>>, and they too translate as "dragon" but also can mean "dragon song" or "dragon ballad". More fitting don't you think?!
If I am not wrong, 龍謡 is the traditional chinese writing and 龙谣 is simplified chinese writing. Both are essentially the same word or is there a nuance I am missing here?

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #64,011 of 75,871
If I am not wrong, 龍謡 is the traditional chinese writing and 龙谣 is simplified chinese writing. Both are essentially the same word or is there a nuance I am missing here?
Yes, same word and meaning just one is older than the other as you have stated.

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #64,012 of 75,871
While I don't really know what I am talking about, it does indeed LOOK to be a simplified version (if the meaning is the same). The fourth and second character being (basically) the same on both versions. :)

Edit: But it could all be "runes" for all I know...

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #64,013 of 75,871
Yes, same word and meaning just one is older than the other as you have stated.
While I don't really know what I am talking about, it does indeed LOOK to be a simplified version (if the meaning is the same). The fourth and second character being (basically) the same on both versions. :)

Edit: But it could all be "runes" for all I know...
Regardless. Sick buds!

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #64,014 of 75,871
More TGXEar content.. and contentment :L3000:

Until recently I have preferred the Tantalus to the Serratus. But…. My Serratus was a prototype, I guess on of the first ones… it was in 3.5mm, had a different shell and cable. I now have the production version and it is a marvel. The bass is insane. So deep but resolved as well. The soundstage has great depth and once again, I’m shocked at how an earbud could create such an illusion of space and stage. I think based on the clean sound and the fullness that this clean extended bass brings, I can say that it has supplanted the Tantalus as my favourite for most genres.
The Tantalus does have a slightly more natural timbre for solo instruments or small groups like a lot of my baroque music or perhaps some quieter piano pieces or even some female vocal/solo guitar. In those cases I might go with the Tantalus but for my ambient type music or classical crossover music with extended bass and more layered instrumentation, the Serratus is amazing. The production version seems to have all the clean separation of the prototype but with a fuller midrange tone and an even better bass response. I think the fuller, more natural timbre, actually, is everywhere which is why the bass is so improved.
I have this playing right now and it’s sounding great.. Thanks @tgx78

Happy to hear you've got the retail version and it's proving better than your prototype! :)

Serratus is just so lush to my ears, I find it very hard to fault. If you still think Tantalus has better timbre, I might need to save for that too!

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #64,017 of 75,871
My thoughts exactly. I decided to try the balanced foams (from the FF3) on them, and they DO seem to have a bit deeper bass, but that could be placebo on my part.
I am wondering. Are the foams that come with the EM5 similar to the FF3?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #64,018 of 75,871
I would definitely give the foams a few days of wear before deciding on one. They get bassier as they are used for a while.
I was using the crisp foams and I find that every session with them, the opening is in a different place. Maybe that's why it's affecting some aspects of the sound and positioning of stuff. When I changed to the bass ones, fixed everything for me and digging the tuning. After almost a week with the FF3s, I think my ears have finally adjusted with the earbud shapes and can endure longer sessions now and loving the FF3s even more!

Sun And Moon sounds lush and full and the beat gets you bobbin' and dancin'! I drummed for like 10 hours today and despite being exhausted the FF3s and this track got me groovin' when I put it on when I got home just now. Thanks for pointing out a great new song to me
There was a weird thing that was happening with me and the crisp foams earlier when listening to it. The opening riff of the guitar which was coming from the right sounded more like it was behind my head. Then again maybe as I mentioned above maybe the opening of the donuts was changing positions when I was re-adjusting it from time to time and affecting the imaging. When I changed to the bass foams I can clearly hear it at the right now. Glad you liked the song! Was just freaked out when I was doing some A/B testing with the KZ EDX Pro of my girlfriend's and the FF3s.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #64,019 of 75,871
I am wondering. Are the foams that come with the EM5 similar to the FF3?
Good catch. From what I can tell, yes they are. Maybe some batch to batch variance, but the same in function.

EM5 foams.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back