Earbuds Round-Up
May 21, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #61,306 of 75,293
Perhaps, I should have stressed the known part more when I said "known customer" as Blur can be quite shy and humble... it takes a very long time for him to open up with people. Unfortunately, your experience was different which doesn't make the experience of many others any less true though. @WoodyLuvr, @ian91, @Charlyro222, @Scuba Devils, and @qua2k to name but a few of whom who have worked in friendly collaboration with Blur, openly discussing drivers, tuning, and cabling and offering our recommendations related to such, as well as, testing and listening to prototypes which resulted in a number of interesting new models and lines launched (well documented over on the Blur Earbuds Lovers thread). But regardless, anyone can buy a Blur earbud and open it up. Learn from it. And with a bit of luck and hard work might be able to spark a development, an improvement, or another innovation from it.

Honestly that never ever entered my mind even for one second nor would I ever think that your graphs were submitted (posted) and intended as "such proof". Earbud graphs at this point of time still tend to not prove or support such topics very well but the efforts that a few of you are currently making in this area may change that very soon! I just hope that you all can get along well enough to rally your knowledge and resources to make it happen. It would truly be awesome if it does.

Upset? No, I assure you that I am not. You or anyone else can correct or challenge anything I post; I will not take offense to it at all. I appreciate and welcome healthy discourse; heated debate; and constructive criticism. As long as it is not personal.

I fail to see the relationship between your FR graphs and my old god-tier list and my opinion regarding earbud primary sound signatures. How does a deep bass response on a FR graph disprove anything that I have said before? Are you saying that I don't think and/or have said that earbuds can't have good bass response? I never said nor do I believe that... hell, a few of the earbuds that I personally own are mid-centric but also very, very strong bass performers: Blur 256 PK16 White Face; Blur OFC PK150 Wraith; and RikuBuds Berserker 1. All of your FR graphs fit nicely into my chart without any issue or conflict. What am I missing here?

I believe you may very well have indeed misunderstood what I wrote as I didn't quite say "all buds were midcentric"... maybe because you were not paying attention! (only joking, I couldn't resist! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Here are some of my most recent statements made about the subject:

Due to their driver-type and open-air design, earbud primary sound signatures do tend to be more often than not mid-centric. That is not to say that there are no outliers with opposing signatures (Astrotec Lyra Nature Limited Edition whose primary is clearly Bright-Clinical) nor that strong secondary and tertiary sound signatures can't drastically and dramatically pull the total sound signature away from the mid-centric area further into one of the four classic signature quadrants: "Dark" (e.g. VE Zen 2); "Warm" (e.g. Ks Bell-Ti 120); "Bright" (e.g. Pislo); or "Aggressive" (e.g. Rose Maria I & II).

I even created a chart which clearly shows that "Mid-Centric" and "Open-Air Flathead Earbuds" can be "Warm" or "Aggressive" and even "Dark" or "Bright" to some degree depending on where a earbud's primary plot falls.

1653129834628.png

I was not patronizing nor being condescending.

My fault completely for misunderstanding that part and taking it far too literally. I honestly had thought your were telling my that you were at the stage now of selling earbuds and genuinely was all excited about that as some of the more recent DIY Earbuds that I have heard have been quite stellar (a big shout out to @FranQL and @RikudouGoku )! My mind isn't what it used to be and I thought I had completely missed your earbud launch. I completely missed @irv003's Newbsound which I felt awful about and then to make matters even worse I kept forgetting to ask him for the model data to enter it on the timeline.

But this does beg the question then: If you are not selling and/or willing to share your earbud designs how will your designs improve and advance? I just don't get it.

I think I get you point and humbly concur, that you have contributed a lot and I will never deny you that. But I was/am not addressing that but rather the reason why you would wave a secret in our faces and then refuse to let us in on that secret... the graphs and the associated driver(s) that produced them would have provided a very interesting discourse that would have benefited us all... yes, including a few pesky greedy trolls that don't share or give credit. That is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

FYI - Blur previously worked as a designer and technician for a well known IEM maker and is an aviation electrical technician by training... I think you might have incorrectly mistook his poor English skills and humbleness for a lack of audio science knowledge and expertise.

My tone has been the same throughout all my posts I was simply more direct in some than others. I never once personally attacked you or made it personal. I admit I was probably too frank and direct in the way that I "called you out" (asking you to explain your actions/motives), but I was simply questioning the reasoning behind your recent posts sharing graphs that you were in-turn so unwilling to discuss or answer questions about.

Do note that my posts were also indirectly aimed at those DIYers whom have been feuding with other DIYers recently over stolen designs and tuning methods and I was hoping to show them another perspective to consider and to end this secretive stance and feud as it does not help flathead earbuds as a medium one damn bit. Punishing the many for the actions of the few never solves anything... since when is DIYing an "industrial secret" activity? The spirit of DIYing is ultimately "sharing" or at least it was back in the my days DIYing.

No need to apologize for that, it was a simple mistake and I wasn't offended. I was only clearing the air regarding that particular subject due to the very reason that you so rightly mentioned... I don't need that albatross tightening any further around me'neck! LOL!

@Ronion Just so you know, I really don't think ill of you nor do I respect you any less as an individual. Why should I? We simply had a disagreement, an argument, a conflict of opinion. It happens. It does not mean that we are now sworn enemies until death nor that we can no longer interact or think well of one another.

Peace brother.
I guess I only spent approximately $450 on 3 buds with Blur and had many conversations. Gave me the “colleague” price and all. Seemed like we were cool. Hard to say what he charges for others. He did discuss signatures, cabling, and cosmetics…. but nothing further even in the slightest. Now I’m bummed about him too if what you say is true. I had purchased before a few of the guys you mention. Glad I stopped spending that kind of money and started DIYing for a couple reasons in all honesty.

Anyway, I encourage people to do the same and DIY. There’s absolutely no need to pay crazy prices. Parts are cheap and the soldering is the easiest you can find. Buds don’t have to be midcentric or expensive. Several people reading this started DIYing and then weeks later went into business and likely outperforming most comparably priced commercial buds and with some style and customization. It’s really not that hard. I know my first few blew my mind and they’re still good on the grand scheme of things. Of course friends led me to success. The hard part is that last 10% and polishing sows’ ears into silk purses. Many drivers are easy to tune well. Rary’s guide has it all and he’s published it all to see. More information than I had when I started. The bud that caused all this discussion costs right at $20 all included and is easily better sounding than anything I purchased regardless of price though the Tingo TG38 still beats it in soundstage.

May 21, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #61,307 of 75,293
I have 23°C in my room right now and I can't afford to use my full sized headphones anymore.

Global warming will force everyone to use buds insted of full sized ones.
I’m ready to sell all my cans except 3 even though I never use them now. My IEMs are going to go as well. I have a collection of wide range, fairly neutral transducers that can be powered with 1V to as loud as I need to get, stay comfortable all day, and allow me to interact with my environment safely and easily. It’s hard to find a reason to own much else. I could sell or gift those last 3 cans and not regret it.

May 21, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #61,308 of 75,293
I guess I only spent approximately $450 on 3 buds with Blur and had many conversations. Gave me the “colleague” price and all. Seemed like we were cool. Hard to say what he charges for others. He did discuss signatures, cabling, and cosmetics…. but nothing further even in the slightest. Now I’m bummed about him too if what you say is true. I had purchased before a few of the guys you mention. Glad I stopped spending that kind of money and started DIYing for a couple reasons in all honesty.

Anyway, I encourage people to do the same and DIY. There’s absolutely no need to pay crazy prices. Parts are cheap and the soldering is the easiest you can find. Buds don’t have to be midcentric or expensive. Several people reading this started DIYing and then weeks later went into business and likely outperforming most comparably priced commercial buds and with some style and customization. It’s really not that hard. I know my first few blew my mind and they’re still good on the grand scheme of things. Of course friends led me to success. The hard part is that last 10% and polishing sows’ ears into silk purses. Many drivers are easy to tune well. Rary’s guide has it all and he’s published it all to see. More information than I had when I started. The bud that caused all this discussion costs right at $20 all included and is easily better sounding than anything I purchased regardless of price though the Tingo TG38 still beats it in soundstage.
I'm totaly agree! 5$ DIY buds are good for everyday carry and 20-30$ are top of the line.

May 21, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #61,309 of 75,293
I'm totaly agree! 5$ DIY buds are good for everyday carry and 20-30$ are top of the line.

if you multiply by 10 you get the price at which they will sell you....

you can spend that on a soldering iron, shells, cables, etc (R&D :) ) and build yourself many buds that will surely surprise you in price, SQ, performance and because you have made them yourself.

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #61,310 of 75,293
I’m ready to sell all my cans except 3 even though I never use them now. My IEMs are going to go as well. I have a collection of wide range, fairly neutral transducers that can be powered with 1V to as loud as I need to get, stay comfortable all day, and allow me to interact with my environment safely and easily. It’s hard to find a reason to own much else. I could sell or gift those last 3 cans and not regret it.
I still have a pretty diverse collection, and most are still in my rotation, except the ones that are labeled as retired. I still use them now and again, but those are mostly what I let my wife and grandkids listen to. I have gotten rid of of bunch (or they broke) but kept the ones I liked at that time (expensive or cheap means nothing to me for sound quality, except whether I can afford to get them at the time).

Also keep in mind I listen to head gear at least 11 hours a day; one of the reasons I love earbuds so much because I can still hear the world outside.

Retired But Still Useable
  • Bose AE2W (the ones using the AE2 phone with the BT dongle)
  • Sennheiser Momentum (original wired)
  • Sennheiser Momentum V2 (BT)
  • Marshall Monitor (original wired version)
  • Sennheiser PX360
  • Sennheiser RS140 (wireless RF headphones)
  • Bose OE2 (on ear)
  • B&W P5 (original wired version)
Open Back
  • Hifiman HE400S (version 2 w/3.5mm connectors at the cups)
  • Hifiman Deva BT (first version heaphones, version 2 non R2R version Bluemini)
  • Sennheiser HD700
  • On ear wrap-around earphones (that were stock with my RCA Lyra Music Jukebox 20GB) these still sound great
IEMs
  • iBasso IT07
  • iBasso IT01S
  • iBasso IT01
  • 7Hz Timeless
  • Tinhifi P1
  • DUNU DK2001
  • Audiosense T800
  • CCA CRA x2
  • Xioami Piston II x2
Earbuds
  • Moondrop Chaconne
  • Yincrow RW2000
  • Yincrow RW3000
  • DUNU Alpha one
  • Rose Technics Maria II
  • Smabat M2s Pro (stock driver)
  • Smabat ST10S Pro gold (150 Ohm driver)
  • NiceHCK EB2S
  • Apple Classic Earbuds (gen 2)

TWS
  • Nuarl N6 Pro
  • Melomania Touch
  • Hifiman TWS600
  • Sony Linkbuds
DAPs (still in use)
  • iBasso DX300
  • iBasso DX160
  • Fiio X5 (original version)
  • Fiio X3 II
  • iPod Touch 4th Gen (only for motorcyle use nowadays)
  • iPod Touch 5th Gen (same as other iPod)

May 21, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #61,311 of 75,293
I still have a pretty diverse collection, and most are still in my rotation, except the ones that are labeled as retired. I still use them now and again, but those are mostly what I let my wife and grandkids listen to. I have gotten rid of of bunch (or they broke) but kept the ones I liked at that time (expensive or cheap means nothing to me for sound quality, except whether I can afford to get them at the time).

Also keep in mind I listen to head gear at least 11 hours a day; one of the reasons I love earbuds so much because I can still hear the world outside.

• Sennheiser PX360
  • Bose OE2 (on ear)
Open Back
  • Sennheiser HD700
  • On ear wrap-around earphones (that were stock with my RCA Lyra Music Jukebox 20GB) these still sound great
IEMs
  • iBasso IT07
  • iBasso IT01S
  • iBasso IT01
  • 7Hz Timeless
  • Tinhifi P1
  • DUNU DK2001
  • Audiosense T800
  • CCA CRA x2
  • Xioami Piston II x2
Earbuds
  • Moondrop Chaconne
  • Yincrow RW2000
  • Yincrow RW3000
  • DUNU Alpha one
  • Rose Technics Maria II
  • NiceHCK EB2S

TWS
  • Nuarl N6 Pro
  • Melomania Touch
  • Hifiman TWS600
  • Sony Linkbuds
DAPs (still in use)
  • iBasso DX300
  • iBasso DX160
  • Fiio X3 II
You have a great collection :beerchug: .... and you definitely need more buds :wink:

May 21, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #61,312 of 75,293

• Sennheiser PX360
  • Bose OE2 (on ear)
Open Back
  • Sennheiser HD700
IEMs
  • iBasso IT07
  • iBasso IT01S
  • iBasso IT01
  • 7Hz Timeless
  • Tinhifi P1
  • DUNU DK2001
  • Audiosense T800
  • CCA CRA x2
  • Xioami Piston II x2
Earbuds
  • Moondrop Chaconne
  • Yincrow RW2000
  • Yincrow RW3000
  • DUNU Alpha one
  • Rose Technics Maria II
  • NiceHCK EB2S

TWS
  • Nuarl N6 Pro
  • Melomania Touch
  • Hifiman TWS600
  • Sony Linkbuds
DAPs (still in use)
  • iBasso DX300
  • iBasso DX160
  • Fiio X3 II
If you wouldn’t mind sharing, what do you think of those old Apple buds? I haven’t heard them in approximately a decade and have very little recollection of them.

fantastic collection BTW!

I loved my iPod Touch. I still want to buy another just for its pocket-ability and the fact that you can put Pure Piano on it, connect it to a keyboard and earbuds and go wild.

May 21, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #61,313 of 75,293
You have a great collection :beerchug: .... and you definitely need more buds :wink:
Thank you! Who doesn't? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
If you wouldn’t mind sharing, what do you think of those old Apple buds? I haven’t heard them in approximately a decade and have very little recollection of them.

fantastic collection BTW!

I loved my iPod Touch. I still want to buy another just for its pocket-ability and the fact that you can put Pure Piano on it, connect it to a keyboard and earbuds and go wild.
I don't mind at all. I have to say that they really did those things right IMO. They have less bass than today's buds, but the tech wasn't there, so in reality they are quite addictive to listen to. The sound is rounded very nicely (except sub-bass), and the presence region is nowhere near aggressive like they like to tune them by default nowadays. Honestly though once you get used to the lack of bass (it is there just very recessed/rolled off), they are terrific IMO. They are airy, but not overly bright. I wouldn't purposely pay much money to replace them if they broke, but I don't plan on getting rid of them any time soon either.. :)

Thanks very much!

Yeah, they fit on my bike perfectly, and for a bike stereo, they sound really good. For listening to on head gear, I have a hard time going back to .mp3s from hi res on the newer DAPs. Though I suppose I COULD get alac files. But, since everything I have is flac or higher (except those last .mp3 holdouts from those Napster, and Kazaa days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), I would have to re-purchase a LOT of music (or I could probably RockBox one of em'). I actually still have my iPod Photo, but it needs a new battery. Now that one (IMO, and others as well from reading about it) had some of the best sound for its time.. IIRC it used a good ole' Wolfsen DAC (but my memory might faulty here).

Last edited:
May 21, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #61,314 of 75,293
Though, I can comment on the Yincrow RW3000 insomuch as I have come up with the perfect PEQ (for my ears), that make them sound absolutely phenomenal and a more rounded overall sound; if a bit of a U. It was really surprising how much they rolled off the sub-bass on these. I had to move up (low shelf) 63Hz a whopping +10dB w/Q of 1.2 (wow) to get some decent sub-bass; though I would still not call them bassy. Also I did a low shelf at 150Hz of +3dB (Q 1.2) to add a bit more warmth. Then, after MUCH fiddling, I ended up with a (peak) -2dB with a Q of 4 at 4K. As I suspected, that tuning gave them a lot of their clarity, so I made a high shelf at 8K of +2dB (Q 1.2), and another high shelf at 10K of +3dB (Q 1.2). Oh and pregain I set to -6.8 dB.
In case anyone that has the RW3000 and might want to give this "reshaping" a bit of a whirl, I'll put in in such a way as to make it easy to look at:
PEQ Neutron Settings
  • 63Hz = Low Shelf Gain = +10dB Q = 1.2
  • 150Hz = Low Shelf Gain = +3dB Q = 1.2
  • 4Khz = Peak Gain = -2dB Q = 4
  • 8Khz = High Shelf Gain = +2dB Q = 1.2
  • 10Khz = High Shelf Gain = +3dB Q = 1.2
  • Pregain = -6.8
The pregain may need to be a bit higher depending on the bass in your music, but I normally use the "auto gain" feature in Neutron anyhow, and set to reset per song.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #61,315 of 75,293
I've been using the K'searphone LBBS for about a week, they have a lot of tonality problems that can be improved with EQ. I don't hear these buds as very neutral at all, they are rather W shaped. (mid bass/fundamental frequencies bloat, harsh shouty mids, peaky treble). I know the sound changes a lot depending on how you wear them, and I am wearing them so they sound their best.

After EQ these earbuds sound good, the imaging was already interesting which made it nice for acoustic music.

Here is the EQ curve for the LBBS, this makes it sound like a "true neutral monitor" to my ears. Note that the area highlighted in crimson is a no guarantee zone, you will hear the high frequencies very differently due to ear canal resonances. For me, I get a resonance peak around 8k on the LBBS (the 6k stabbing peak is still real), for you it may be different. I also hear the LBBS as having essentially ripped out air frequencies, so I put a high shelf filter to compensate for that.
foobar2000_3Z3egmo4mg.png

edit: i am using full foams on the earbuds btw

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #61,316 of 75,293
So after some comparison and the very scientific method of having one bud in each ear, I've come to the conclusion that the Penon PACs and the Yincrow X6 have an almost identical sound signature. They do have slight differences though, with the X6 having a little more extension/emphasis up top and the PACs a little more extension at the low end.

Overall, it's hard to recommend against the X6 if you're looking to find some earbuds with bass, especially at the low price they're at. But if you're looking for even better bass, as well a detachable cable, the PAC are good choice.

May 22, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #61,317 of 75,293
I posted this in the "Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon?" thread.
I didn't get any response, probably because it wasn't an "IEM" question, so I wanted to post here as well.

I'm trying to find a decent TWS earbud, (not IEM), because I need some buds for situational awareness.

I have considered: Samsung Galaxy Buds Live, SoundPEATS Air3, FIIL CC2, Sabbat x12 Ultra or Sabbat x12 Pro, etc.

I tried to find out what the difference is between the Sabbat x12 Pro vs Sabbat x12 Ultra, and couldn't find much. One article said the 'Pro' may not have Apt X? Anyone know the differences?

Any recommendations?
TIA

I am probably not interested in any apple products because I use Android and Windows.

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #61,318 of 75,293
I posted this in the "Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon?" thread.
I didn't get any response, probably because it wasn't an "IEM" question, so I wanted to post here as well.

I'm trying to find a decent TWS earbud, (not IEM), because I need some buds for situational awareness.

I have considered: Samsung Galaxy Buds Live, SoundPEATS Air3, FIIL CC2, Sabbat x12 Ultra or Sabbat x12 Pro, etc.

I tried to find out what the difference is between the Sabbat x12 Pro vs Sabbat x12 Ultra, and couldn't find much. One article said the 'Pro' may not have Apt X? Anyone know the differences?

Any recommendations?
TIA

I am probably not interested in any apple products because I use Android and Windows.

X12 pro sbc/aac only.
X12 ultra sbc/aac/aptx and wireless charging
Vooplay is also made by sabbat, and is the generation after the x12 models.

May 22, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #61,319 of 75,293
X12 pro sbc/aac only.
X12 ultra sbc/aac/aptx and wireless charging
Vooplay is also made by sabbat, and is the generation after the x12 models.

Thank you. I'll pass on choosing the x12 Pro then.
Any recommendations on these choices, or others?
Samsung Galaxy Buds Live, SoundPEATS Air3, FIIL CC2, Sabbat x12 Ultra or Vooplay.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #61,320 of 75,293
Thank you. I'll pass on choosing the x12 Pro then.
Any recommendations on these choices, or others?
Samsung Galaxy Buds Live, SoundPEATS Air3, FIIL CC2, Sabbat x12 Ultra or Vooplay.
Depending on the implementation, AAC could sound very good (even on android). For instance; and this is also my recommendation for TWS earbuds, the Sony Linkbuds are actual earbuds (non-directional, classic flatheads). Though I DO want to warn you that some people find them terrific, and others find them to not fit right because they are a different type of animal. They are basically a flathead earbud with circuitry attached. Even with those that they don't fit correctly, it isn't that they feel bad or anything like that, they just don't sound right. These are very fit dependend (as you might guess with a classic flathead earbud). But it also isn't so much that they don't fit, but how they are inserted that makes the difference IMO.

I'm surprised there was no answer on that other thread about this. There are quite a few people over there that have some of those, including the Linkbuds, and most love them. As for me, I find them to be fantastic, and it has the best implementation of AAC that I have heard thus far (absolutely shocked me, and I almost passed on them). I have not been able to discern the difference in playback quality between the codecs on something like this and some others I have that are AptX or even LDAC.

The battery only lasts for about 5 hours, but it only takes about 10 minutes to give 1 1/2 hour charge, and 30 minutes to totally recharge them, so there is that also. As to the others you mentioned on your list, I have not heard any of them, so I can't comment at this time. All of my other TWS are IEM style. Most of the folks on the other thread make no distinction between IEM and earbud for TWS. To them (and most of Google) all TWS are called earbuds. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back