Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 18, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #60,631 of 75,542
hit me up if you'd like some ridiculous deals on earbuds I'm selling; only offering them to members of this thread but I need to get this stuff moved on. bonus buds, steep discounts, the lot. :)

Mar 18, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #60,632 of 75,542
I dont pay myself anything at this stage, im only losing money right now in the hopes that I get it back when I sell them. I am considering upgrading my measuring rig as well but that be a bit later.
That’s pretty much how it goes for the first couple years if you‘re looking to do something exceptional. Even people who are utterly geniuses take several years. Just look at Axel Grell, Edgar Villchur, Oskar Heil, Paul W. klipsch, etc…. That list could go on and on. None of these guys set the world on fire in a couple weeks.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #60,634 of 75,542
Just ordered new Tofino from @tgx78, a beautiful earbuds, Will taste their tunning when arrives.

1647755889103.png

Mar 20, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #60,635 of 75,542
Mar 20, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #60,637 of 75,542
After a while I managed to adjust ST20 to my liking and now with a great sound (IMO), highlight the incredible and unjustifiable fact that I found the right driver placed inverted both in the shell and in the faceplate (in short, the sound of the right side would always be different from the left side, unfortunately), it is a very serious quality control error for a bud with a sale price of €135.

I put a photo of the beautiful 50 Ohm LCP driver that is being used in this Smabat model.

How a driver inverted? you mean the polarity or the physical side of the driver?
I had a pair lately, I think both sides sound the same ...I hope.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #60,638 of 75,542
How a driver inverted? you mean the polarity or the physical side of the driver?
I had a pair lately, I think both sides sound the same ...I hope.
No, on the left side the Voice Coil is oriented towards the vent next to the MMCX connector and the right side was oriented towards the lower side of the shell, that is, where there is no vent. Inevitably, the right side could not sound the same as the left. So in listening I constantly noticed that something was not right.

It is very easy to see it, the faceplate has a notch and it only fits in a single position, that is, if you open it and each driver points in one direction... there is an imbalance.

I hope it's just a quality control error on my unit.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #60,639 of 75,542
No, on the left side the Voice Coil is oriented towards the vent next to the MMCX connector and the right side was oriented towards the lower side of the shell, that is, where there is no vent. Inevitably, the right side could not sound the same as the left. So in listening I constantly noticed that something was not right.

It is very easy to see it, the faceplate has a notch and it only fits in a single position, that is, if you open it and each driver points in one direction... there is an imbalance.

I hope it's just a quality control error on my unit.
IMO that is not really forgivable; especially for the cost. I could maybe see that on some $10 buds, but something that is supposed to be higher-end... nope! And isn't this the second or third time you have had silly QC issues like this? Amazing!

And let's be honest, if you hadn't taken it apart, you probably would have contacted them, they would have argued with you, and told you that you were a gangster trying to stir up trouble, or something like that. :) And you would either get a new set (with very much inconvenience because you would have to pay to ship them back, unfairly I might add), or they would deny there was an issue, and send you the old ones back as-is.

And I don't know about how much it might cost you, but from my house, it costs quite a bit (considering) to ship it to China. With Chi-Fi taking over, their warranty policies are also taking over. This means that those times of getting an RMA (for instance) are over. This causes a major problem because you (Joe Consumer) can't afford to have even one bad unit, or you are investing more money than even the initial cost; not to mention the time you spend hassling with the whole affair.

I am having a similar issue right now with my Chaconne. I emailed Moondrop about an imbalance in one bud, in which they replied to contact the initial seller (which was Shenzhen Audio via Amazon). I did, but that was 3 weeks ago tomorrow with 0 replies. I will be contacting Moondrop again tomorrow about the situation, but I fear there will be more hassle involved before it is over, and I don't think I should have to work so hard to have SOMEONE fix what wasn't my fault to begin with.

This is why I NORMALLY buy from Amazon if I can. Their return policy is unequalled. In this case though, too much time has gone by before the problem developed, and now I need to rely on the seller for after service support (or the lack thereof).

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #60,640 of 75,542
IMO that is not really forgivable; especially for the cost. I could maybe see that on some $10 buds, but something that is supposed to be higher-end... nope! And isn't this the second or third time you have had silly QC issues like this? Amazing!

And let's be honest, if you hadn't taken it apart, you probably would have contacted them, they would have argued with you, and told you that you were a gangster trying to stir up trouble, or something like that. :) And you would either get a new set (with very much inconvenience because you would have to pay to ship them back, unfairly I might add), or they would deny there was an issue, and send you the old ones back as-is.

And I don't know about how much it might cost you, but from my house, it costs quite a bit (considering) to ship it to China. With Chi-Fi taking over, their warranty policies are also taking over. This means that those times of getting an RMA (for instance) are over. This causes a major problem because you (Joe Consumer) can't afford to have even one bad unit, or you are investing more money than even the initial cost; not to mention the time you spend hassling with the whole affair.

I am having a similar issue right now with my Chaconne. I emailed Moondrop about an imbalance in one bud, in which they replied to contact the initial seller (which was Shenzhen Audio via Amazon). I did, but that was 3 weeks ago tomorrow with 0 replies. I will be contacting Moondrop again tomorrow about the situation, but I fear there will be more hassle involved before it is over, and I don't think I should have to work so hard to have SOMEONE fix what wasn't my fault to begin with.

This is why I NORMALLY buy from Amazon if I can. Their return policy is unequalled. In this case though, too much time has gone by before the problem developed, and now I need to rely on the seller for after service support (or the lack thereof).

If I hadn't disassembled it or simply didn't know anything about DIY, I would simply think that this is how they should sound, nothing more, and I would have settled for the initial sound with shrill highs, qualifying it as a bad buy. So sad.

Also in the first settings I assumed that the two shell and drivers would be correctly mirrored, and I didn't realize it, it was based on not finding the sound setting for me when I looked for the reason.

Never, not even in the buttons for less than €10 did I find the controllers placed differently. In fact I doubt that it is good for hearing health if the sound from each side is different.

Mar 20, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #60,641 of 75,542
If I hadn't disassembled it or simply didn't know anything about DIY, I would simply think that this is how they should sound, nothing more, and I would have settled for the initial sound with shrill highs, qualifying it as a bad buy. So sad.

Also in the first settings I assumed that the two shell and drivers would be correctly mirrored, and I didn't realize it, it was based on not finding the sound setting for me when I looked for the reason.

Never, not even in the buttons for less than €10 did I find the controllers placed differently. In fact I doubt that it is good for hearing health if the sound from each side is different.
Then it is good thing that you ARE a DIYer, I would say. :) I would not have caught it. I don't think I would have thought to take them apart to investigate the problem to be honest. Good catch either way! :thumbsup:

Edit: Is it something that you can fix yourself? If so, let us know how much different they are after doing so (I for one would be interested to know)?!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #60,642 of 75,542

The timing lol.

You might want to jump into the official Shenzhenaudio discord server and complain there, maybe they will actually help you that way...
https://discord.gg/w74fCzhSVe

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #60,643 of 75,542
Then it is good thing that you ARE a DIYer, I would say. :) I would not have caught it. I don't think I would have thought to take them apart to investigate the problem to be honest. Good catch either way! :thumbsup:

Edit: Is it something that you can fix yourself? If so, let us know how much different they are after doing so (I for one would be interested to know)?!

Yes, I put the driver correctly in the faceplate and in the shell, and now the sound is great, but I changed the tuning completely, it has nothing to do with the original setting

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #60,644 of 75,542
The timing lol.

You might want to jump into the official Shenzhenaudio discord server and complain there, maybe they will actually help you that way...
https://discord.gg/w74fCzhSVe

Nice! Thanks for sharing the vid (so true). Others might not think so, but I view (and always have viewed) this behavior as a big deal, and if not stopped, will only continue; not only that but it will get worse when companies get so emboldened that they do away with service altogether (for example).

Thanks also for the Discord link. I will check it out, though I am not sure I am too interested in dealing with them at this point, though I probably will this time to get this issue fixed. I think they (both companies) have all but ruined my future loyalty to the brand or store (even though I love the overall product itself).

I actually would have rather dealt with Moondrop directly because then I would only have to pay to ship it somewhere here in the US, rather than China (again, at my expense). Since Shenzhen Audio is an authorized dealer, this should not have been an issue to begin with IMO.

Mar 20, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #60,645 of 75,542
I actually would have rather dealt with Moondrop directly because then I would only have to pay to ship it somewhere here in the US, rather than China (again, at my expense). Since Shenzhen Audio is an authorized dealer, this should not have been an issue to begin with IMO.
I believe some of Moondrop´s reps (and their boss) are actually in that server.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back