Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #60,047 of 75,855
Re: smabat St20

I am really hesitant to comment on sound as I have just "come back" from an ear infection (first time since I was a small child!!!) in both ears for almost 2.5 weeks. It actually forced me to buy a set of over ear headphones (I am not a headphone guy, and hadn't even had cans in my possession for almost 10 months) last week, so the only music listening I had done before last night was using my new cans for like 3 days prior, hahaha.

I am willing to say that I THINK this set especially will benefit from some burn-in. I noted a significant upper mid/lower treble harshness that sure seemed to diminish over the few hours I had these playing out of both my WM1A (for music) and L&P W2 (connected to my Macbook Pro to watch a tv show).
How comfortable it is on your ears. I have smabat m2s pro, it is as heavy as hell.

Feb 9, 2022 at 3:32 AM Post #60,048 of 75,855
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #60,051 of 75,855
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #60,053 of 75,855
I've been able to get my hands on somewhat of a unicorn recently, the Technics RP-HV100. I've written an in-depth review on my blog and thought you guys might be interested: https://systematicsound.wordpress.com/2022/02/09/technics-rp-hv100-review/
IMG_0253.jpg

Feb 9, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #60,054 of 75,855
_DSC3056.jpg
_DSC3058.jpg

A recent purchase from another DIY'er - Acoustic Tone. This model is neutral with a bass lift, excellent timbre and resolution and a very wide, tall and deep spherical soundstage competing with my entry-level open back Grados and exceeding them in imaging. Easily the most technical bud I own. It has an interesting magnetised, removable rear covering that plugs two vent holes to adjust bass frequencies and affect stage. When plugged, venting is via the base of the neck, hence the lack of detachable cable to allow for air flow. Shell is rhodium.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #60,055 of 75,855
Smabat 150 ohms driver and filters arrived today.

IMG_20220209_183140.jpg

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #60,056 of 75,855
I've been able to get my hands on somewhat of a unicorn recently, the Technics RP-HV100. I've written an in-depth review on my blog and thought you guys might be interested: https://systematicsound.wordpress.com/2022/02/09/technics-rp-hv100-review/
@Svstem
Outstanding article and review, thank you for sharing! Very thoughtful and well presented good sir. Sincerely a great, great read. I enjoy seeing buds from the early Golden Era receiving the spotlight once again and so rightly deserved! I fondly remember the Technics RP-HV100 and happy to see it presented so well so that the newer generation can better appreciate and understand from where modern earbud design is heavily borrowing from.

If I may (most humbly and respectfully) offer some additional specifications, a few corrections, and some additional historical data for your already amazing blog post:

As much as the venerable Sony MDR-E252 “Fontopia” (18Ω; June 1982) loves to hog all the limelight it is in fact not the first earbud. That title belongs to the Trio-Kenwood KH-0.5 “Petitphones” (32Ω), pictured below, which was first launched six months earlier in December of 1981. There are some collectors that believe the TEAC HP-30 (30Ω) might have launched weeks before the Sony as well... I am in the other boat and believe from first hand experience (my memory) that Sony launched just before it but have yet to get my hands on physical proof to corroborate that. I do get your point though that 1982 was the year that earbuds took us by storm... just wanted to offer some earlier dates that many do not recall or know.​
1644479239431.png
1654405980865.png

Technics and National were (are) both one and the same. Both brand names were used by Panasonic aka Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (now officially known as the Panasonic Corporation). Earphones sold under the National and Technics branding were all made at Matsushita Electric factories by Panasonikku Kabushiki Gaisha (Romanized naming of Matsushita that simplified to Panasonic).​

The Technics RP-HV100 earbud was launched in July 1987 and was discontinued sometime around the end of 1991 to the beginning of 1992. Still under great debate some collectors have tracked down supply chain documents showing that last production was in November 1991 while others point to dated packaging showing final assembly dating as late as March 1992.​
The impedance-max power input-sensitivity rating of 28Ω; 50mW @ 1Vrms; 106 dB SPL @ 1mW for the Technics RP-HV100 is indeed correct. The Rated 'Recommended' Power was only 15mW @ 1Vrms (though this may have been somewhat off... please see below for further consideration and explanation).​
During the 1980s, the early part of the Golden Era of Earbuds, Panasonic, like many of it's competitors, leaned heavily upon 16Ω, 26Ω, 28Ω, and 32Ω impedance drivers (some other common driver impedances, not used by Panasonic, were 15Ω, 16Ω, 17Ω, 18Ω, 20Ω, & 22Ω). All of which were similarly designed and spec'd having sensitivity ratings always falling somewhere between 104 and 108 dB/mW with a Max 'Allowable' Power Input of 30mW to 50mW (depending on the model). The Rated 'Recommended' Power though was much, much lower for all these drivers falling somewhere between 10 and 20mW only. Companies purposely designed and/or spec'd their drivers this way due to the weakly powered headAMP modules/boards that would be driving (powering) their earphones but also due to the industry maximum SPL requirement of ~116-118 dB for analog cassette tape playback.​
Technics RP-HV100 Specs
1644472656654.png
Using the ~15mW Rated 'Recommended' Power rating spec the Technics RP-HV100 only requires 0.65Vrms (15.14mW; 23.25mA) to reach an industry standard of 117.8dB SPL for listening to analog cassette tapes. A measly 1.18Vrms will push these earbuds to max tolerances of 50.07mW @ 42.29mA, reaching an ear bleeding 123dB SPL! Now taking into consideration the RP-HV100's dual driver, three magnet design I am tempted to offer that the 50mW Maximum Input Power rating might be stretched to 100mW (maybe slightly over) as the Max 'Allowable' Power Input rating was typically representative of a "single driver" only. In this consideration, the Rated 'Recommended' Power would perhaps only be 30mW which would require less than 1.0Vrms for a max reachable SPL of ~120dB.​
The Technics RP-HV100 thus should not be interpreted as being "power hungry" but rather quite capable of scaling well and handling more power due to it's superb build and engineering but nonetheless all to it's great detriment in driver health and operating life span.​
Albeit nicely built, with quality materials and rather robust driver design (especially the voice coils), a many a collector have learned the hard way that although these early Golden Era earbuds may and do scale wonderfully it is well beyond their intended usage and design limitations and in turn driver life is sacrificed and considerably so! Back in the early 2000s a number of us collectors in Japan started to experiment, scaling with more power, with disastrous results... forever destroying countless already scarce models never to be heard (used) again. Since there was no distortion (with the extra amplification) being heard and/or reported many of us thought it was all hunky-dory until massive failings began to occur. I am also guilty of this heinous act and know that I will be judged for it one day and rightly so 🥺. We soon learned that the high temperatures at the voice coils was causing them a slow death and that the increased temperatures were also causing a cascade of driver parts to fail. Unfortunately, these wonderfully engineered audio gems can not sustain such abusive power for very long and they will in time, sooner than later, fail. I truly would hate for anyone else to lose their hard earned dollars in such a manner as I and a number of other collectors did out of blind ignorance and hopefulness.​

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #60,057 of 75,855
@Svstem
Outstanding article and review, thank you for sharing! Very thoughtful and well presented good sir. Sincerely a great, great read. I enjoy seeing buds from the early Golden Era receiving the spotlight once again and so rightly deserved! I fondly remember the Technics RP-HV100 and happy to see it presented so well so that the newer generation can better appreciate and understand from where modern earbud design is heavily borrowing from.

If I may (most humbly and respectfully) offer some additional specifications, a few corrections, and some additional historical data for your already amazing blog post:

As much as the venerable Sony MDR-E252 “Fontopia” (18Ω; June 1982) loves to hog all the limelight it is in fact not the first earbud. That title belongs to the Trio-Kenwood KH-0.5 “Petitphones” (32Ω), pictured below, which was first launched six months earlier in December of 1981. There are some collectors that believe the TEAC HP-30 (30Ω) might have launched weeks before the Sony as well... I am in the other boat and believe from first hand experience (my memory) that Sony launched just before it but have yet to get my hands on physical proof to corroborate that. I do get your point though that 1982 was the year that earbuds took us by storm... just wanted to offer some earlier dates that many do not recall or know.​

Technics and National were (are) both one and the same. Both brand names were used by Panasonic aka Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (now officially known as the Panasonic Corporation). Earphones sold under the National and Technics branding were all made at Matsushita Electric factories by Panasonikku Kabushiki Gaisha (Romanized naming of Matsushita that simplified to Panasonic).​

The Technics RP-HV100 earbud was launched in July 1987 and was discontinued sometime around the end of 1991 to the beginning of 1992. Still under great debate some collectors have tracked down supply chain documents showing that last production was in November 1991 while others point to dated packaging showing final assembly dating as late as March 1992.​
The impedance-max power input-sensitivity rating of 28Ω; 50mW @ 1Vrms; 106 dB SPL @ 1mW for the Technics RP-HV100 is indeed correct. The Rated 'Recommended' Power was only 15mW @ 1Vrms (though this may have been somewhat off... please see below for further consideration and explanation).​
During the 1980s, the early part of the Golden Era of Earbuds, Panasonic, like many of it's competitors, leaned heavily upon 16Ω, 26Ω, 28Ω, and 32Ω impedance drivers (some other common driver impedances, not used by Panasonic, were 15Ω, 16Ω, 17Ω, 18Ω, 20Ω, & 22Ω). All of which were similarly designed and spec'd having sensitivity ratings always falling somewhere between 104 and 108 dB/mW with a Max 'Allowable' Power Input of 30mW to 50mW (depending on the model). The Rated 'Recommended' Power though was much, much lower for all these drivers falling somewhere between 10 and 20mW only. Companies purposely designed and/or spec'd their drivers this way due to the weakly powered headAMP modules/boards that would be driving (powering) their earphones but also due to the industry maximum SPL requirement of ~116-118 dB for analog cassette tape playback.​
Technics RP-HV100 Specs
Using the ~15mW Rated 'Recommended' Power rating spec the Technics RP-HV100 only requires 0.65Vrms (15.14mW; 23.25mA) to reach an industry standard of 117.8dB SPL for listening to analog cassette tapes. A measly 1.18Vrms will push these earbuds to max tolerances of 50.07mW @ 42.29mA, reaching an ear bleeding 123dB SPL! Now taking into consideration the RP-HV100's dual driver, three magnet design I am tempted to offer that the 50mW Maximum Input Power rating might be stretched to 100mW (maybe slightly over) as the Max 'Allowable' Power Input rating was typically representative of a "single driver" only. In this consideration, the Rated 'Recommended' Power would perhaps only be 30mW which would require less than 1.0Vrms for a max reachable SPL of ~120dB.​
The Technics RP-HV100 thus should not be interpreted as being "power hungry" but rather quite capable of scaling well and handling more power due to it's superb build and engineering but nonetheless all to it's great detriment in driver health and operating life span.​
Albeit nicely built, with quality materials and rather robust driver design (especially the voice coils), a many a collector have learned the hard way that although these early Golden Era earbuds may and do scale wonderfully it is well beyond their intended usage and design limitations and in turn driver life is sacrificed and considerably so! Back in the early 2000s a number of us collectors in Japan started to experiment, scaling with more power, with disastrous results... forever destroying countless already scarce models never to be heard (used) again. Since there was no distortion (with the extra amplification) being heard and/or reported many of us thought it was all hunky-dory until massive failings began to occur. I am also guilty of this heinous act and know that I will be judged for it one day and rightly so 🥺. We soon learned that the high temperatures at the voice coils was causing them a slow death and that the increased temperatures were also causing a cascade of driver parts to fail. Unfortunately, these wonderfully engineered audio gems can not sustain such abusive power for very long and they will in time, sooner than later, fail. I truly would hate for anyone else to lose their hard earned dollars in such a manner as I and a number of other collectors did out of blind ignorance and hopefulness.​
Do you just bleed earbuds? :smirk:

Very nice write-up as well as @Svstem! Thanks for sharing more interesting information.

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #60,059 of 75,855
IMG_20220211_030545-01.jpeg

Finally got my hands on @irv003's 32Pro. Positive thoughts early on. Comparing them side by side with the OG EMX500 (2016), I find a lot of similarities. However, it feels like this is entirely a complete upgrade (hardware, aesthetics, sound tuning) of the highly regarded bang-for-the-buck EMX500. I hear a better textured and more rounded low end, slight lift and added clarity to the vocals, more clean (no more occasional graininess) and controlled treble. Still spacious as the EMX if not better. I hear them both as having a quite intimate overall sound especially with the vocals and with enough airiness to it, while retaining excellent amount of details. Glad to have participated in the recent group buy. I'll observe more in the coming days since this will definitely be one of my go to buds whether at home or out and about.

Tested using my Sony ZX300 (WalkmanOne - Bright custom firmware by MrWalkman).

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #60,060 of 75,855

Finally got my hands on @irv003's 32Pro. Positive thoughts early on. Comparing them side by side with the OG EMX500 (2016), I find a lot of similarities. However, it feels like this is entirely a complete upgrade (hardware, aesthetics, sound tuning) of the highly regarded bang-for-the-buck EMX500. I hear a better textured and more rounded low end, slight lift and added clarity to the vocals, more clean (no more occasional graininess) and controlled treble. Still spacious as the EMX if not better. I hear them both as having a quite intimate overall sound especially with the vocals and with enough airiness to it, while retaining excellent amount of details. Glad to have participated in the recent group buy. I'll observe more in the coming days since this will definitely be one of my go to buds whether at home or out and about.

Tested using my Sony ZX300 (WalkmanOne - Bright custom firmware by MrWalkman).
I am in total agreement of this. I have the Moondrop Leibesleid which I like better for vocals, but for overall enjoyment and just listening to any genre these are king!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back