Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 7, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #60,032 of 75,756
My smabat ST20 were delivered this morning. Corner of the box took a beating in transit, but visually, all seems good. Gonna try to make time tonight to give them a listen. I specifically requested a 4.4mm balanced termination.

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #60,033 of 75,756
My smabat ST20 were delivered this morning. Corner of the box took a beating in transit, but visually, all seems good. Gonna try to make time tonight to give them a listen. I specifically requested a 4.4mm balanced termination.

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

The MMCX cable connector snapped into the left ear piece with a satisfying "click" sound; the right one, not so much. I THINK it is connected, but no time right now to test.

Feb 7, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #60,034 of 75,756

Waiting forward your impressions, mine is still on way

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #60,035 of 75,756
So Tempted by RW2000 but a bit scared by fit...
I like midbass emphasis and in general more bass than neutral buds, so RW2000 should be my cup of tea considering also it is easy to drive with W2 or RS6.

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #60,036 of 75,756
So Tempted by RW2000 but a bit scared by fit...
I like midbass emphasis and in general more bass than neutral buds, so RW2000 should be my cup of tea considering also it is easy to drive with W2 or RS6.

RW2000's fit is quite good, at least for my average sized ears. They can be worn cable down or even over ears, so quite a few permutations in terms of fit. Or even if the earbuds feel quite loose in the ear, one can use double foams or silicone hooks/covers to add heft to the fit (these might change the sound signature a bit though).

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

Any first impressions on the sound? TIA!

Feb 8, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #60,037 of 75,756
RW2000's fit is quite good, at least for my average sized ears. They can be worn cable down or even over ears, so quite a few permutations in terms of fit. Or even if the earbuds feel quite loose in the ear, one can use double foams or silicone hooks/covers to add heft to the fit (these might change the sound signature a bit though).
Ok i go with it, do you know where can i buy for a good price?

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #60,038 of 75,756

I bought mine second hand from a local shop, but the Yincrow RW2000 is frequently on sale on Aliexpress. There's a big sale coming up in march 2022, so might wanna wait till then. Who knows, a better set/hypetrain will probably come out by march, that's how fast this industry moves!!!

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #60,040 of 75,756
Any first impressions on the sound? TIA!
Re: smabat St20

I am really hesitant to comment on sound as I have just "come back" from an ear infection (first time since I was a small child!!!) in both ears for almost 2.5 weeks. It actually forced me to buy a set of over ear headphones (I am not a headphone guy, and hadn't even had cans in my possession for almost 10 months) last week, so the only music listening I had done before last night was using my new cans for like 3 days prior, hahaha.

I am willing to say that I THINK this set especially will benefit from some burn-in. I noted a significant upper mid/lower treble harshness that sure seemed to diminish over the few hours I had these playing out of both my WM1A (for music) and L&P W2 (connected to my Macbook Pro to watch a tv show).

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #60,041 of 75,756
Re: smabat St20

I am really hesitant to comment on sound as I have just "come back" from an ear infection (first time since I was a small child!!!) in both ears for almost 2.5 weeks. It actually forced me to buy a set of over ear headphones (I am not a headphone guy, and hadn't even had cans in my possession for almost 10 months) last week, so the only music listening I had done before last night was using my new cans for like 3 days prior, hahaha.

I am willing to say that I THINK this set especially will benefit from some burn-in. I noted a significant upper mid/lower treble harshness that sure seemed to diminish over the few hours I had these playing out of both my WM1A (for music) and L&P W2 (connected to my Macbook Pro to watch a tv show).
It's good that you have recovered.

Thanks for the impressions. This seems like the Smabat "house tuning" to me. Every pair I have, has that pina gain boost in some amount or other.
Cheapest I have found them are from here on Aliexpress. I can't speak to the reputation of the store because I bought them from the NiceHCK store on Aliexpress (which they have them also but are about $10 more).

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #60,042 of 75,756
Cheapest I have found them are from here on Aliexpress. I can't speak to the reputation of the store because I bought them from the NiceHCK store on Aliexpress (which they have them also but are about $10 more).
yeah I was looking that store and VS Audio at same price… anyway I think I’d wait because I’m ****ed, today I received this bad red guy and I can’t stop to listen it, unfortunately isn’t mine 😞

1A5964CF-0834-4369-B3FB-DA18CF22540D.jpeg

Feb 8, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #60,043 of 75,756
yeah I was looking that store and VS Audio at same price… anyway I think I’d wait because I’m ****ed, today I received this bad red guy and I can’t stop to listen it, unfortunately isn’t mine 😞

1A5964CF-0834-4369-B3FB-DA18CF22540D.jpeg
SWEET!

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #60,044 of 75,756
For my impressions of the EB2S. I have been listening to them for more than a week, and I have to say they are an enjoyable listen. They aren't some super TOTL killer by any stretch of the imagination. This will be easy to describe because they sound (almost) exactly like the Smabat M2S Pro, with a couple of differences (to my ears).

They have a tad bit less quantity in the lower end, and because of this, the pina gain area is perceived as boosted even more. Other than that they are tuned almost just like the Smabat. The biggest differences here is in the technicalities. These don't seem as big on soundstage, and layering is not done as well. On congested tracks things get jumbled a bit. And there is some grain to the treble. Though they remain pretty clear in their overall presentation. I wonder if the driver is the 40Ohm driver from Smabat (or a shelf driver of that type) just thrown into a different shell (giving them a bit different tuning overall).

Maybe I got a different pair than others on here that have described them as warm because I don't find them warm at all. I would actually call them a bit bright to my ears. I don't know if I would say they are worth the normal asking price, but somewhere around $10 would be a good starting point, simply because I think that there are a lot better buds out there for cheaper even (comparitively).

I do find the fitment superb, and the cable, while nothing really special, is quite nice for what it is. These are so light; they can be worn all day and then some if needs be.

Overall, I am pleased with them for a beater/daily bud.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back