Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #5,857 of 75,861
Wow, got a new soundcard (Soundblaster Z, previously Realtek onboard), put a Hiegi Full Foam on my Cygnus... and what on earth it became a new earbud LOL

also the dk-jin came today. I'm in heaven right now. I'll compare Tomahawk, Cygnus, Asura 2.0, DK-Jin and AKG Y16 for gaming in the next days :p

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #5,858 of 75,861
  Wow, got a new soundcard (Soundblaster Z, previously Realtek onboard), put a Hiegi Full Foam on my Cygnus... and what on earth it became a new earbud LOL

also the dk-jin came today. I'm in heaven right now. I'll compare Tomahawk, Cygnus, Asura 2.0, DK-Jin and AKG Y16 for gaming in the next days :p

Awesome, I had been thinking of getting the dk-jin, the wood looks fantastic. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #5,859 of 75,861
All right folks, finally took some time (as in maybe 20 - 30 minutes) to finally compare the Shozy Cygnus and Rose Mojito.
Before I begin, kindly note that all statements made are purely personal and your mileage may wary. What is stated are just impressions of an audio newbie.
Gear Used:
Xduoo X3 (Rock Boxed)===>Trasam HA2+ Extreme Edition===> Cygnus and Mojito
Audio Tracks utilized were all in flac formate.

White Album (Live Version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAEvpReyek0

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Seven Samurai 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7B9Xkgcso

Suara - Musouka
https://soundcloud.com/fray-pham/musouka-dream-song-suara-akiko

All comments made will be based off of the afore mentioned 3 songs, and made in the context of comparing the Cygnus against the Mojito. 

Shozy Cygnus (when compared to Mojito)
-Bass attack is quick
-Bass has little to no bloom
-Very good and intimate vocals
-Vocals sounds rounder
-Highs are clear but slightly "blunted" or "smoothed?" or "roll off?"  
-Soundstage is deep but have limited width
-Slight warmth
-More laid back
-Less revealing
-A good amount of clarity (but separation may be somewhat poor)
-Sometimes can sound cramped in
-Piano notes have more "meat" to them

Rose Mojito (when compared to Cygnus)
-Good bass presence (surprised me too after ABing)
-Moderate bloom
-Bass attack is not as quick
-Clearer and cleaner highs
-Sharp vocals (slightly recessed)
-Able to pick up more micro details
-Deeper and wider soundstage
-Imagine and separation is also better
-Good extension on both ends
-Immersive listening experience (maybe due to the wider and deeper soundstage)
-Holographic Piano

Overall:
Please note that this is just a normal and not extremely in-depth comparison, the Shozy Cygnus and Rose Mojito are both very very good earbuds for the price.

For longer and more laid back listening sessions involving vocal tracks, I would no doubt pick the Cygnus over the Mojito. However, that being said, I will never use the Cygnus for classical or orchestral pieces, it is just not immersive enough personally. The Cygnus has sort of the same purpose as my Tomahawks, which is the Jack of All Trades in my earbud inventory (though the Cygnus will surely out perform the Tomahawks in the vocal as well as overall tonal balance department).

The Mojito is an entirely different beast all together. I would not use them for any form of vocal jazz or any vocal tracks for that matter. They just sound revealing and "too cold" for my personal preference. For long listening sessions, unless you are listening to classical or orchestral pieces, you can be quickly worn out (meaning that hip-hop, pop, rock........no go (for me at least)). Mojito are what I would call analytical and revealing. Good for critical listening sessions with classical and any shape or form of orchestral works.

So it has been one hell of a long post (maybe my longest yet since joining this forum). For those of you who took the time to read, I hope that you find my post useful, if not, any constructive criticism is always very much welcomed!

Cheers~!      

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #5,860 of 75,861
wow, I feel like I have been missing A LOT. Now I understand what the Cygnus is about. I never knew Realtek is THAT ****ty.

The DK-Jin are big and it's not easy to get the donut foams on them. I feel like my ears are too tiny, so I'm gonna listen without foams.
Comparison: Cygnus fits like it was made for my ears with foams, Asura 2.0 with foams is ok too. E100 is too big.

If you have big ears, go for it - if you don't: better don't, you'd have to perfectly position them to get non airy sound.
After positioning them, the sound is fun and I can feel the bass. Sound is directly in front of your face.
Sound signature is not similar to the Tomahawk, but I feel like it could be really great for rock music.
I like the cable a lot too, even though I only have the blue one.

Tomahawk update: When listening to rap, it seperates voice from the beat - that's a new experience. Cygnus doesn't do that.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #5,861 of 75,861
I understand now why some people don't like Tomahawk, It sounds thin and kinda metallic in some genre like pop and EDM thus I prefer Monk/Monk+ for this.
Tomahawk not good on EDM. Lack a bit of body for some male vocal (something like Akeboshi's vocal). Some female vocal will sound peaky in high volume. And Tomahawk forward presentation is kinda fatiguing.
But Tomahawk will shine on a song that need fast sound reproduction (really good for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (band)'s songs and some Vocaloid songs).
BTW, I'm using Monk+ thin foam and unscrewed the housing tube for better fit. Will try the original foam to get more bass out and reduce those peaky mid high.

That is why now I'm searching for Tomahawk compliment/upgrade. An earbuds with a bit laid back vocal presentation, has more amount of bass while not losing speed and not less extended high. Hope Red Demon can answer my need :D waiting... waiting...

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #5,862 of 75,861

I almost went go go! But the bass comments causes me to pause dammit!

"湖西小筑 DIY Dual Driver - OEM Dual Dynamic Matrix driver from PowerBeats, some of the best soundstage and micro-detail, but very neutral and doesn't have much bass reach or depth."

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #5,865 of 75,861
this true :hushed:
For bass go on Seahf..
wink.gif

+1m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back