Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 29, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #58,381 of 75,283
Interesting... I know they are highly regarded.

I am just now entering the world of ear buds, and am still awaiting a set of Yincrow X6 and set of Qian39. At this stage, I'm merely trying to figure out what types of shells will fit me best (or at all). If the X6 fit, I might just get a set of the RW-2000 (because I'd prefer detachable cable) and call it a day as my usage will not be for music listening. I just wanting something to use for Youtube/video conference calls/Netflix/movies that doesn't involve bulky cans or sticking objects into my ear canals.
Just a note that at least in my limited experience and when worn straight down, detachable cables may have an adverse impact on fit due to the increased weight outside the concha from the connectors (and usually thicker/heavier cable too).

The X6 itself is quite good for the use cases you mentioned IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #58,382 of 75,283
Just a note that at least in my limited experience and when worn straight down, detachable cables may have an adverse impact on fit due to the increased weight outside the concha from the connectors (and usually thicker/heavier cable too).

The X6 itself is quite good for the use cases you mentioned IMO.
But why spend only $13 when I could spend $150 as well? :joy: :joy: :joy: :wink:

I'm fine with potential weight issues for detachable cables as well. I've had too many fixed cable transducers crap-out on me over the years, and they pretty much always failed at the ear piece connection point.

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #58,383 of 75,283
But why spend only $13 when I could spend $150 as well? :joy: :joy: :joy: :wink:

I'm fine with potential weight issues for detachable cables as well. I've had too many fixed cable transducers crap-out on me over the years, and they pretty much always failed at the ear piece connection point.
I feel you, but just cause it has to be said if you’re afraid of breakage you could literally buy 11 copies of the X6 instead and still save money, lol.

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #58,387 of 75,283
Received the X6 and Qian39 earlier today. I've only had a chance to try the X6 for now. Using those silicone rings that fit around the ear piece, the X6 seem to fit in my concha well, and stay put.

Sound-wise, well.....I am really used to the Ety ER4XR with my laptop usage, hahaha. The X6 :shocker: is a completely different experience. They sound like I am listening underwater compared to the ER4XR, but strangely, I think I like it? Not sure.

As I've said, my use case for buds will be laptop use (Youtube, video calls, Netflix, movies). My pursuit of buds is all about seeking something with a small form factor like IEMs, but without the need to jam things into my ear canals. I'm not expecting sonic miracles here, hahaha.

I need to spend some time with these and the Qian39 to confirm my initial impressions regarding fit, and then decide if an 11/11 sale-priced higher tier bud is worth the roll of the dice. I'm used to kilobuck IEMs at this point, so I am very cool with being sub-$200 on a set of buds that can last me for the long haul. It is worth this tiny initial investment to confirm that MX500-type shells will fit me just fine, as I simply was not at all sure about that before today.

Thanks to all who have given me guidance over the past month or so.

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #58,388 of 75,283
Oct 30, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #58,390 of 75,283
Received the X6 and Qian39 earlier today. I've only had a chance to try the X6 for now. Using those silicone rings that fit around the ear piece, the X6 seem to fit in my concha well, and stay put.

Sound-wise, well.....I am really used to the Ety ER4XR with my laptop usage, hahaha. The X6 :shocker: is a completely different experience. They sound like I am listening underwater compared to the ER4XR, but strangely, I think I like it? Not sure.

As I've said, my use case for buds will be laptop use (Youtube, video calls, Netflix, movies). My pursuit of buds is all about seeking something with a small form factor like IEMs, but without the need to jam things into my ear canals. I'm not expecting sonic miracles here, hahaha.

I need to spend some time with these and the Qian39 to confirm my initial impressions regarding fit, and then decide if an 11/11 sale-priced higher tier bud is worth the roll of the dice. I'm used to kilobuck IEMs at this point, so I am very cool with being sub-$200 on a set of buds that can last me for the long haul. It is worth this tiny initial investment to confirm that MX500-type shells will fit me just fine, as I simply was not at all sure about that before today.

Thanks to all who have given me guidance over the past month or so.
If nothing else, it's good knowing the MX500 fits you decently.

Another option you may want to look into is the Smabat M2S Pro (or upcoming M3) which has a modular design so you can swap drivers according to preference, as well as the detachable cables. I don't own it myself but seems like it may tick your boxes.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #58,392 of 75,283
FAAEAL Rosemary
Yincrow X6
EMX500
VE Monk+
2 from this group to start?

Do you have an amp?

The FAAEAL Rosemary is 150 ohms and needs amping to sound good. It is an L shaped dark set, very warm and non fatiguing. Not for trebleheads.

X6 is like a BLON BL-03 of the earbud world. Warm V shaped set, Nice delicious bass. Good timbre but lacks technicalities (like the BLON BL-03). It is easier to drive than the Rosemary.

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #58,393 of 75,283
Sorry but not for everyone :wink:
1635638788353.png

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #58,394 of 75,283
...Sound-wise, well.....I am really used to the Ety ER4XR with my laptop usage, hahaha. The X6 :shocker: is a completely different experience. They sound like I am listening underwater compared to the ER4XR, but strangely, I think I like it? Not sure...

...I need to spend some time with these and the Qian39 to confirm my initial impressions regarding fit, and then decide if an 11/11 sale-priced higher tier bud is worth the roll of the dice...
You definitely need to give it more than a few days for your ears and brain to adjust... it takes a good week, two, or longer for ears & brains to fully adjust to a new sound signature; new transducer medium; and/or set-up (in cases of loudspeakers and their repositioning and/or added room treatments). Certain frequencies may seem at first to be over-exaggerated; missing; distorted (excited); and/or veiled but they typically will balance out and settle down with time as your ears and brains adjust accordingly. Therefore, nailing down the true sound signature of a transducer, is extremely difficult to initially-quickly ascertain... especially with certain models and particular brands with unique house tunings.

Also experiment with fit... earbuds have their own fitting requirements... not nearly as critical as with IEMs (getting that 'seal') but nonetheless do require a proper fit in their own right as do all head/earphones really. This has been discussed, at great lengths, throughout the history of this thread (here are two examples that you might find helpful regarding "earbud fitting": Post #26,082 and Post #22,897. I, and many others here on this thread, would highly encourage that you to try various foam combinations to see if that improves the experience for you. Finding that perfect earbud is highly dependent on "the fit". Earbuds are prone to fitting issues due to mostly ear size but also anatomical variances between individuals. The use of foams to improve "the fit" can and does change the sound signature... sometimes drastically for better or worse and thus needs to be seriously factored in as accordingly

Personally, I always found it much easier to go between my earbuds and open back headphones than to an IEM or a closed back and vice versa. Once you figure out the best fitting/setting, with or without foams, you'll soon see that earbuds although with less bass do offer a much wider soundstage with improved timbre and separation... and via a much more comfortable, cooler, and long listening package.

Good luck and welcome to the rabbit hole!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #58,395 of 75,283
You definitely need to give it more than a few days for your ears and brain to adjust... it takes a good week, two, or longer for ears & brains to fully adjust to a new sound signature; new transducer medium; and/or set-up (in cases of loudspeakers and their repositioning and/or added room treatments). Certain frequencies may seem at first to be over-exaggerated; missing; distorted (excited); and/or veiled but they typically will balance out and settle down with time as your ears and brains adjust accordingly. Therefore, nailing down the true sound signature of a transducer, is extremely difficult to initially-quickly ascertain... especially with certain models and particular brands with unique house tunings.

Also experiment with fit... earbuds have their own fitting requirements... not nearly as critical as with IEMs (getting that 'seal') but nonetheless do require a proper fit in their own right as do all head/earphones really. This has been discussed, at great lengths, throughout the history of this thread (here are two examples that you might find helpful regarding "earbud fitting": Post #26,082 and Post #22,897. I, and many others here on this thread, would highly encourage that you to try various foam combinations to see if that improves the experience for you. Finding that perfect earbud is highly dependent on "the fit". Earbuds are prone to fitting issues due to mostly ear size but also anatomical variances between individuals. The use of foams to improve "the fit" can and does change the sound signature... sometimes drastically for better or worse and thus needs to be seriously factored in as accordingly

Personally, I always found it much easier to go between my earbuds and open back headphones than to an IEM or a closed back and vice versa. Once you figure out the best fitting/setting, with or without foams, you'll soon see that earbuds although with less bass do offer a much wider soundstage with improved timbre and separation... and via a much more comfortable, cooler, and long listening package.

Good luck and welcome to the rabbit hole!

100% re the fit - I've found recently with mx shells that if I give them a slight forward twist on insertion, I get a better seal and makes a massive difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back