Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #57,871 of 75,339
indeed, most of my "no name" foams and those i got free from the earbuds usually deteriorated and crumbled like dust even in their plastic packages.
The surprising exceptions are Hiegis and those thin "monk like" foams that i got from Aliexpress, those seem to last forever unless i got them ripped from usage
You don’t happen to have a link to the “Monk-like” foams? I just ordered some from VE, and even though they are cheap, I am cheaper.

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #57,872 of 75,339
Hello,

I'm looking for an upgrade, from my current earbuds. They are the Audio Technica ATH-CM707. I enjoy these, but there could be room for improvement: Bass (no doubt), would love a bigger soundstage, and more treble sparkle, more treble quickness.

Have been browsing around, don't want to spend over $300. A few earbuds that interest me:

(1) VE Zen 2.0
(2) Shozy BK
(3) Smabat M0

Is the Shozy BK considered better than the VE Zen 2.0? Well, if anyone here, can give me a good recommendation? I like balanced sound signatures, (think Sennheiser HD 600, with more Bass and Sub-Bass :relaxed:). Although I have really enjoyed V-Shaped and U-shaped, headphones/iems, in the past as well.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #57,873 of 75,339
Maybe get the M2s pro shell with the 150 Ohm driver. If you have mmcx cables, it's probably the cheapest way to get a flagship-esque sound. You can do it with the M0 as well, but it's trickier.

If you want to spend more and still be comfortably under $300, look into Blur headphones. There are even a couple on sale in the classifieds here on Head Fi. You can also contact Wong through FaceBook. Be prepared for the best audio you have heard.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #57,874 of 75,339
Maybe get the M2s pro shell with the 150 Ohm driver. If you have mmcx cables, it's probably the cheapest way to get a flagship-esque sound. You can do it with the M0 as well, but it's trickier.

If you want to spend more and still be comfortably under $300, look into Blur headphones. There are even a couple on sale in the classifieds here on Head Fi. You can also contact Wong through FaceBook. Be prepared for the best audio you have heard.

Cool. I did look into both the Smabat M2s Pro, and the M0. Confused, on Aliexpress, I saw a 40Ω impedance, for the M2s pro, and a 20Ω impedance, for the M0. There is an M2s Pro version with 150Ω that sounds better than the standard one? Also a "Super driver" or something for the M2s Pro?

Another thing is, I haven't spent money, on smaller boutique brands, and Chi-Fi. In fact, some of it makes me nervous: Build Quality, long-term reliability, shills posting fake reviews, etc. Hence, most of my headphones/earphones are from Sony, Audio Technica, and JVC. Although it is clear, that the best sounding earbuds, are not coming from those three brands.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #57,875 of 75,339
Sep 20, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #57,876 of 75,339
Cool. I did look into both the Smabat M2s Pro, and the M0. Confused, on Aliexpress, I saw a 40Ω impedance, for the M2s pro, and a 20Ω impedance, for the M0. There is an M2s Pro version with 150Ω that sounds better than the standard one? Also a "Super driver" or something for the M2s Pro?

Another thing is, I haven't spent money, on smaller boutique brands, and Chi-Fi. In fact, some of it makes me nervous: Build Quality, long-term reliability, shills posting fake reviews, etc. Hence, most of my headphones/earphones are from Sony, Audio Technica, and JVC. Although it is clear, that the best sounding earbuds, are not coming from those three brands.

Yes the M2S Pro with 150 ohm driver sounds the best for my ears. Sounds pretty close to the more expensive Yincrow RW2000 but cheaper all in. But for the 150 ohm driver, you will need an amp, as the impedance suggests.

As for the Western brands and Japanese brands described above, it is an open secret that most of them are made or assembled in China, or at least use China parts. Actually if you look at the stuff you are wearing and the stationary and electronics you are using now, I'm pretty sure most of them are Chinese made.

FWIW, I've had QC issues with JVC and Audiotechnica and some western (Westone, Senheisser) audio gear. QC for CHIFI is a crap shoot, but they cost around 10 times cheaper than a boutique/western brand, so even in the worst case scenerio that a lemon comes in, it still isn't as painful as a western pricier set coming in with defects.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #57,877 of 75,339
On AliExpress they sell the shells and driver separately. You can just buy the combo you want. The one that’s easiest to recommend is the M2s Pro Shell with the 150 Ohm driver. The 40 Ohm driver is still very good and in that flagships-like category. That’s what you get when you buy the M2s Pro.

Sep 21, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #57,878 of 75,339
Yes the M2S Pro with 150 ohm driver sounds the best for my ears. Sounds pretty close to the more expensive Yincrow RW2000 but cheaper all in. But for the 150 ohm driver, you will need an amp, as the impedance suggests.

As for the Western brands and Japanese brands described above, it is an open secret that most of them are made or assembled in China, or at least use China parts. Actually if you look at the stuff you are wearing and the stationary and electronics you are using now, I'm pretty sure most of them are Chinese made.

FWIW, I've had QC issues with JVC and Audiotechnica and some western (Westone, Senheisser) audio gear. QC for CHIFI is a crap shoot, but they cost around 10 times cheaper than a boutique/western brand, so even in the worst case scenerio that a lemon comes in, it still isn't as painful as a western pricier set coming in with defects.

Sounds good, thanks for the input. I will definitely take a look into the M2S Pro, with the 150 ohm driver. I have a good amp, but it is a bit clunky and heavy. Yet it can do the job. A major purpose of these portable earbuds is the "on-the-go" aspect, of their form factor, (plugging it straight into your phone, laptop, etc). That's why I'm leaning toward something like the Shozy BK. Will have to consider my options.

Well, some of my Audio Technica stuff is from Japan, yet it is true, there is "Made in China", on some of my other AT items. Nevertheless, I have had very good experience, with Audio Technica products. In my experience, when AT releases stuff under their name, I have faith in it, from experience. Regardless of the region of manufacture. The Foremen in the Audio Technica factories, well they have a standard to uphold. Mistakes don't "just slide", on the conveyor belt, (at least I hope not), compared to these other, more "shifty" companies. The same applies to JVC and Sony, I simply have not had, more than two or three, build quality problems, among all three of them, put together. On the other hand, cheap headphones/earphones, less than ~$20, well one can expect a company to cut costs somewhere, I don't get upset about cheap products breaking.

I think it is a blanket statement, to say that Chi-Fi stuff, is 10 times cheaper than Western and Boutique brands. Some Chi-Fi stuff is quite expensive. The VE Zen 2.0 is ~$150, same story with the Shozy BK, both Chi-Fi products. People pay $300+ for Moondrop Blessing 2 iem's, and other products from Chinese companies. If I bought one of those, and it broke within 1 year, I'd be ticked off, no doubt. Well-made headphones/earphones, can last 10+ years, in the hands of a careful person, (which is what I like to consider myself). Yours truly would not be a "happy camper".

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #57,879 of 75,339
Hello,

I'm looking for an upgrade, from my current earbuds. They are the Audio Technica ATH-CM707. I enjoy these, but there could be room for improvement: Bass (no doubt), would love a bigger soundstage, and more treble sparkle, more treble quickness.

Have been browsing around, don't want to spend over $300. A few earbuds that interest me:

(1) VE Zen 2.0
(2) Shozy BK
(3) Smabat M0

Is the Shozy BK considered better than the VE Zen 2.0? Well, if anyone here, can give me a good recommendation? I like balanced sound signatures, (think Sennheiser HD 600, with more Bass and Sub-Bass :relaxed:). Although I have really enjoyed V-Shaped and U-shaped, headphones/iems, in the past as well.
Here is a list of currently available god-tier earbuds (many are under $300).

Blur are Singaporean; custom-made in Singapore. The offered combination of high quality build, superb customer-service, and excellent sound signature in my opinion has been unmatched by anything I have ever bought headphone/earphone wise over forty plus years... including all summit gear in which one or two of those criteria were grossly lacking (e.g. looked great but sounded like crap; sounded great but had serious QC issues; sounded great, superbly build but hurt like hell; sounded great but with minor QC issues and horrible customer service; etc.)

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #57,880 of 75,339
Blur are Singaporean; custom-made in Singapore. The offered combination of high quality build, superb customer-service, and excellent sound signature in my opinion has been unmatched by anything I have ever bought headphone/earphone wise over forty plus years... including all summit gear in which one or two of those criteria were grossly lacking (e.g. looked great but sounded like crap; sounded great but had serious QC issues; sounded great, superbly build but hurt like hell; sounded great but with minor QC issues and horrible customer service; etc.)
I may not have quite the experience you have, but my Blur PK32 are the best transducer I’ve heard. My understanding is that there are more resolving Blur and I’m only slightly bothered by it :) these easily beat all my former favorites of any and every typology. I must say that the SMABAT sound great for the money with some tweaking. The Blur PK32 also fit securely and comfortably AND are easily driven by anything. My favorite with it is actually the Hidizs S8. The SMABAT are comfortable, but not secure without shark fins (meaning no frisbee with Watson, but walking isn’t a problem) AND require something better than a 1v dongle. The 40Ohm can do the dongle however. That actually brings the cost of a Blur closer and the portability much better. I’m certainly not knocking the SMABAT. I enjoy them without question. I also don’t regret spending the money on the Blur. I’ve put some cheap foams on them that bring their tonality more similar to the HD650 and they didn’t lose any resolution but the deep end isn’t quite as deep. It’s so easy to modify buds it almost makes me feel ashamed for doing it. If I’m listening to electronic music, I can easily switch it back in about 4 seconds.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #57,883 of 75,339
Anyone want to buy my Blur? $155 https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/155-obo-blur-173-mx150-ohm-aps-2-5mm.11257/
I'm including a free sealed Venture Electronics Monk SM now.
1632311609137.png

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #57,884 of 75,339
Sep 22, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #57,885 of 75,339
Just noticed that its been almost 2 months since I got the LBBS and I havent bought any new buds since then....guess it might really be my endgame bud. :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back