Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 28, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #55,546 of 75,279
I haven't actually. Good to know that the Zen DAC works well with 4.4mm VE buds. All of the chifi 4.4mm cables that I have, from ****, NiceHCK, KBEar...I have to pull out the plug out of the jack by approx 3mm before sound comes out of both channels. All the way in and sound only comes out on one side. I've reached out to iFi and they say this is due to a 'jack tolerance issue'.

I'm actually aware of this for the other brands I've used with the ZEN DAC. VE actually provided some o-ring styled stickers to fix this issue. But I'm not sure if they are included these days.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #55,549 of 75,279
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #55,551 of 75,279
But even NiceHCK B40, which cost about $10 and sounded pretty good, wasn't so that popular...
B40 shell looks as PK shell but is not because larger size

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #55,552 of 75,279
Wait, wait!!!!
Is there a new bud from VE at $ 20 which uses a pk shell ? What!

20 bucks? I'm afraid they will not be able to satisfy demand any time soon....

I'm afraid they won't delivery a good SQ at this price...

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #55,553 of 75,279
Jun 28, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #55,555 of 75,279
I’ve always been fascinated by how much attention Astrotec pays to detail. The vent systems used on the Lyra models are really innovative and deserve every praise. And they are honest enough
1624893156953.png

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #55,556 of 75,279
Wait, wait!!!!
Is there a new bud from VE at $ 20 which uses a pk shell ? What!
I'm afraid they won't delivery a good SQ at this price...
This is not important right now. The last few models that came out had a pretty high price, so this is a much more affordable offer. At least if you want to upgrade, you can, as Lee said. Also, if you have better driver you can swap it :wink:

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #55,559 of 75,279
FiiO EM5 got here, initial impressions are. Drums sound like drums. Full, dynamic, thumpy, fast, slammin. I would say there's actual subbass extension and rumble, midbass feels clean and natural, although I do feel an overall sense of 'body' to the music. Unfortunately everything else sounds a bit distant, if not muffled. By comparison Chaconne have a bell-like clarity for female vocals and, well, bells, etc. The FiiO EM5 overall feel "thick" and "laid back", bordering on "dark" or veiled. Female vocals feel a bit hollow or thin, maaaybe even rough/sharp, and feel like they're behind me and to either side of me. The presentation isn't as intimate, emotional and forward as the other buds I have, but I guess those are more upper mid/treble-strong (EBX21, Chaconne, ME80).

I'm swapping between Chaconne and EM5 right now and the Chaconne is definitely more 'open' feeling, airy, sparkly. The EM5 by contrast feels dummy thicc, almost muffled. Like going from a concert hall (Chaconne) to a club or warehouse party (EM5). Maybe some burn in (ie: 300 hours lmao) is necessary to open these up as well. As for tips, I'm using Chaconne with a silicone ring and then a single full foam over it, with EM5 I'm just using a single full foam (same as the Chaconne one, not the provided FiiO one since I might return these.)

The fit on the EM5, by the way, is maybe the best I've tried. I have no idea how it's possible, but it's super light and just.. goes in and sits where I put it. I can wear it cables down and turn my head and all that and it's fine. I don't need to readjust it like I do with the hefty Chaconne. The cable is really good too. FRICK. The more I type the more they're growing on me.

I want to say they're a "fun," "musical," "laid back," and "non-fatiguing" (in every sense of the word) bud. I'm still experimenting but they sound pretty good with some EQ upping at around 2K, which leads me to believe my next thing to try should be donut foams to open up the higher range a bit.

FiiO EM5 in a word: FULL
Moondrop Chaconne in a word: 𝒸 𝓁 𝑒 𝒶 𝓇

So, those are initial impressions. I will read some actual reviews from people who know what they're talking about, and then see if my impressions are anywhere in the ballpark.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #55,560 of 75,279
What amp/dac would you guys recommend for Ve Zen 2.0 if one is using an idevice? Currently using Fiio Q1 mkii set to high gain on my iphone and ipod touch and I find it satisfactory. Are there any other amp/dac’s that will pair well with the Zen 2.0? Preferably one with a lightning cable included. Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back