Earbuds Round-Up
May 27, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #54,436 of 75,270
When your Bell-Ti 120 ohm earbuds come back repaired, are you planning to protect the stems and the base of the cables with heat shrinkable tubes etc this time?
I'm actually worried about that too, since my onmyoji earbuds should be arriving any day now.
Bell-Ti use stem as the bass vent, that's why they use a bit thinner cable. Adding shrink tube will close this vent completely

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #54,439 of 75,270
Hmmm...interesting. It has two bass vents at the end of the stem, and small white piece inside.
It seems to have a small opening but this cut on the outside is a little unclear to me
If I recall correctly, Makoto called this particular vent not a "port" but rather a "baffle" (as in an open baffle as seen on speakers) to tame the bass vibration and reactive mids and treble frequencies resulting from the long bass tubes in the stem.

May 27, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #54,440 of 75,270
When your Bell-Ti 120 ohm earbuds come back repaired, are you planning to protect the stems and the base of the cables with heat shrinkable tubes etc this time?
I'm actually worried about that too, since my onmyoji earbuds should be arriving any day now.
I donated/gifted them to Wong @ Blur so they will not be returning. Though I am anxiously awaiting Wong's earbuds-autopsy report and to hear what the culprit is regarding the right driver issue. I will surely report his findings here shortly.

May 27, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #54,441 of 75,270
As I recall, mdr-e804 and mdr-e808 are not genuine Sony products, but fake products...
Yeah, I know. The very feeling when held in the hand, the quality of the plastic, visible seams and sharp "rough" edges indicate that.
One thing is when cheap material is used and another thing is when the processing itself is poor, and it looks like an unfinished model
Partially correct. The MDR-E808 was in fact a real model manufactured by Sony as well as the MDR-E804 which was made in China for Sony.

1622136951902.png

Sony MDR-E808 in Nuevo Tube Packaging

The following is the complete Sony MDR-E 8 Series:

Series 8XX; 1995-2001/2; 2012/14​
E801/802/803/805/806/807/808/809/811/817/818/819/821/823/827/828/829/832/837/838/847/848/868/888; E804YLA
With that said, the MDR-808 Twin Turbo was heavily copied and faked and soon took on the moniker "MDR-E808+". There are probably just as many MDR-E808 fakes than there are originals! And the vast majority of these copies/fakes are horribly constructed with horrendous finishing however, some of the drivers used are quite good and actually sound better than the original!

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #54,442 of 75,270
May 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #54,443 of 75,270
Thanks.
In that case, should I wrap cellophane tape around the stem of the shell and the base of the cable in a tubular fashion, leaving a gap from the cable?
KS.jpg

Something about K's buds
#1 #2. Ksearphone Bell-LB look similar as Bell-Ti, but there is a difference.
If we look closely at the shell, we can see that the driver, i.e. the cover, is slightly wider so that it does not merge in line with the shell, which is the case with the Bell-Ti model. The diameter is slightly increased, but this stepped transition prevents fall of the foam. As for the stem, usually when we have the same shell, if we have a longer stem length, then more pressure is created and therefore the low frequencies are more pronounced. But here is a slightly specific case, the driver is different and is probably tuned differently. Now there is one small detail that is also important and that is the cables. On Bell-LB one strand passes through the stem. The opening on the stem is a bit narrower so that the space where the air passes is much smaller compared to the Bel-Ti where the two thinner strand passing through a wider stem.
This way both shells can have the same pressure inside.
ksstem.jpg

#3. Bending the cable more than 75 degrees can damage the cable. Unlike the Bell-LB model, the Bell-Ti has a sharp edge on the stem that can cut the wire.
Another case is pulling which can unsolder the cables or damage the driver inside. To avoid this, a knot is made at the end of the cable that blocks the pull-out, but this knot also takes up a lot of internal space, so it is often avoided. Another way is to use metal "U" Clips
uclip.jpg

#4. Since the Bell-Ti stem is used as a bass vent, we must take care not to close it. It can be cut small piece of Pvc Electrical Insulation Tape, and wrap it around the edge of the stem. Leave a small overhang so that it can be twisted inwards. U can use "Red" and "Blue" as markers for the left and right sides :wink:
insulation-tape-500x500.png

May 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #54,444 of 75,270
Bell-Ti use stem as the bass vent, that's why they use a bit thinner cable. Adding shrink tube will close this vent completely
Very true! There is no way to recable to a thicker cable without effecting the sound.
Thanks.
In that case, should I wrap cellophane tape around the stem of the shell and the base of the cable in a tubular fashion, leaving a gap from the cable?
Doubt it as it could create a disturbing minor echo and would probably also increase the risk of cable hangups due to catching on the tape.

May 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #54,445 of 75,270
If I recall correctly, Makoto called this particular vent not a "port" but rather a "baffle" (as in an open baffle as seen on speakers) to tame the bass vibration and reactive mids and treble frequencies resulting from the long bass tubes in the stem.
That's it! How do you know that?:joy::beerchug:

May 27, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #54,446 of 75,270
Very true! There is no way to recable to a thicker cable without effecting the sound.

Doubt it as it could create a disturbing minor echo and would probably also increase the risk of cable hangups due to catching on the tape.
I hope I managed to explain well in the previous post

May 27, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #54,447 of 75,270

Something about K's buds
#1 #2. Ksearphone Bell-LB look similar as Bell-Ti, but there is a difference.
If we look closely at the shell, we can see that the driver, i.e. the cover, is slightly wider so that it does not merge in line with the shell, which is the case with the Bell-Ti model. The diameter is slightly increased, but this stepped transition prevents fall of the foam. As for the stem, usually when we have the same shell, if we have a longer stem length, then more pressure is created and therefore the low frequencies are more pronounced. But here is a slightly specific case, the driver is different and is probably tuned differently. Now there is one small detail that is also important and that is the cables. On Bell-LB one strand passes through the stem. The opening on the stem is a bit narrower so that the space where the air passes is much smaller compared to the Bel-Ti where the two thinner strand passing through a wider stem.
This way both shells can have the same pressure inside.

#3. Bending the cable more than 75 degrees can damage the cable. Unlike the Bell-LB model, the Bell-Ti has a sharp edge on the stem that can cut the wire.
Another case is pulling which can unsolder the cables or damage the driver inside. To avoid this, a knot is made at the end of the cable that blocks the pull-out, but this knot also takes up a lot of internal space, so it is often avoided. Another way is to use metal "U" Clips

#4. Since the Bell-Ti stem is used as a bass vent, we must take care not to close it. It can be cut small piece of Pvc Electrical Insulation Tape, and wrap it around the edge of the stem. Leave a small overhang so that it can be twisted inwards. U can use "Red" and "Blue" as markers for the left and right sides :wink:
insulation-tape-500x500.png
Sounds like the bell design might just be badly designed if they don't allow for thicker or replaceable cables...

Do mx500 shell have that kind of limitation as well? Or are they fine and that's why there are some models with mmcx with mx500 shells?

May 27, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #54,449 of 75,270
Yes, an excellent and thoughtfully detailed breakdown... #3 in some manner or form is what I suspect happened to my pair of Bell-Ti 120Ω earbuds.
Probably, although I think it's bad soldering

May 27, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #54,450 of 75,270
Sounds like the bell design might just be badly designed if they don't allow for thicker or replaceable cables...

Do mx500 shell have that kind of limitation as well? Or are they fine and that's why there are some models with mmcx with mx500 shells?
This is the cure ... the Holy Drill :sunglasses:
drill.jpg

Great example of MMCX mod for MX500 and Bell-LB
mx500mmcxmod.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back