Earbuds Round-Up
May 1, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #53,686 of 75,472
I think they look sexy with white donuts on: complement whitish cable, plus can see the brass.

Aesthetically, ddhifi golden adapters look nice on Chaconne as well.

I usually order 2.5mm cables which can be easily adapted to 3.5mm and 4.4mm sources using these connectors.
Yeah, donut foams do look really nice. But I preferred the sound and the fit with full foams.

May 1, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #53,687 of 75,472
on low frequencies with what can you compare?
It can easily compare with the likings of Yincrow X6, RW-9, but has a closer similarity to the ANN N200 earbud. The JCALLY EP09 has the tightest and quickest punch out of the four mentioned probably due to the beryllium coated DD's. It also has the best resolution and upper transparency as well. The ANN N200 comes closest to its signature, but lacks that airy transparency. The X6 and RW-9 demonstrate excellent lower bass but is not as quick and punchy, and the upper-range sounds a little plasticky when compared to the EP09's luscious transparency.

Hope this helps...

-Clear

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #53,688 of 75,472
It can easily compare with the likings of Yincrow X6, RW-9, but has a closer similarity to the ANN N200 earbud. The JCALLY EP09 has the tightest and quickest punch out of the four mentioned probably due to the beryllium coated DD's. It also has the best resolution and upper transparency as well. The ANN N200 comes closest to its signature, but lacks that airy transparency. The X6 and RW-9 demonstrate excellent lower bass but is not as quick and punchy, and the upper-range sounds a little plasticky when compared to the EP09's luscious transparency.

Hope this helps...

-Clear
What expansive earbuds do you think this outclasses ? You seem so excited about them.

May 1, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #53,689 of 75,472
If the 32ohm PT2021's cable was a fixed one instead of MMCX I'd be beyond pissed. Not sure why but the stock cable just sounds veiled, tried every other cable on hand and it gained the treble it was missing with a stock cable. I'd love to see what would happen if people decided to MMCX mod some TOTL buds and if there's any changes like there are with the PT2021.

It is quite common to see people re-cable their TOTL earbuds, but not so much with modifying to MMCX.

May 2, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #53,691 of 75,472
I wish the bell-ti was MMCX/detachable. Thats what has been holding me back from them.

Seems like it is always a given for IEMs to come with detachable cable. Maybe the earbud brands need to look into it.

Even the FiiO EM5's cable is attached with swappable plugs. The few TOTL earbuds I can think of with MMCX is RW-2000 and 2pin for Rose Maria. Yinman 600 is discontinued.

The rest of popular TOTL offerings from K's, Moondrop, Shozy or even VE are all fixed. VE at some point had the Omega Edition that features 2 pin for the Asura (AOE) or Zen(ZOE), but very limited run only.

May 2, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #53,692 of 75,472
As most TOTL earbuds will be used in a domestic environment and not on the go, the requirement for replacement cables due to wear and tear is much less important. A well implemented cable and driver synergistic design will give consistently high quality results for the life of the earbud. This is more important to me than "cable rolling."

May 2, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #53,693 of 75,472
the fixed cables can justify everything that each considered, but at least I, I do not conceive that in the times that we are not able to change the cables to a tolt bud ... we are talking about a ridiculous cost.

To give an example, I like to use a certain type of cable, I have to settle for the one that I fix or not buy, in cases of more than € 200 the decision is easy.

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #53,694 of 75,472
As most TOTL earbuds will be used in a domestic environment and not on the go, the requirement for replacement cables due to wear and tear is much less important. A well implemented cable and driver synergistic design will give consistently high quality results for the life of the earbud. This is more important to me than "cable rolling."

I think the people coming over from IEMs will usually feel the need for swappable cables and such.

Seasoned earbud users don't really care or maybe are already pretty used to fixed cable since the beginning of time.

Same as when people switching from IEMs want even more isolation when they have their initial experience with earbuds.

May 2, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #53,695 of 75,472
I think the people coming over from IEMs will usually feel the need for swappable cables and such.

Seasoned earbud users don't really care or maybe are already pretty used to fixed cable since the beginning of time.

Same as when people switching from IEMs want even more isolation when they have their initial experience with earbuds.
The reason why I want removable cables, is mainly to be able to switch to my own 3rd party cables that are usually better in build quality and has 4.4mm.

But the more important the reason is that in the unfortunate event that the cable died, I will be able to quickly and safely fix it by swapping cables. I don't even wanna think about what I would have to do if my chaconne cable died...

The one single reason why I bought the chaconne (or any other expensive buds for that matter) is that I use buds at home and to be honest. I don't use them very much. Like my transducer usage is probably 70% iems, 25 % buds and 5% headphones....

So their chances of dying is slim due to low usage and because of the low risk environment (home).

May 2, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #53,696 of 75,472

I think you have to keep the best of each thing, interchangeable cable is a good thing, and you can do it for a relatively low cost, why give it up? I do not know, it is my opinion.

May 2, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #53,697 of 75,472
I think you have to keep the best of each thing, interchangeable cable is a good thing, and you can do it for a relatively low cost, why give it up? I do not know, it is my opinion.

That is a perfectly fair opinion. Let's hope the few earbud brands can keep up and do more for us consumers, though I'm also not really sure what is stopping them. Maybe people aren't buying as much earbuds as compared to IEMs for them to justify investing in it?

BTW, how are those Samsung earbuds that came with the A50? I had a set of the A50 but I never opened to use the earpiece, and eventually traded in the whole set when I upgraded phones. Now I kind of regret not trying if you ask me.

May 2, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #53,698 of 75,472
That is a perfectly fair opinion. Let's hope the few earbud brands can keep up and do more for us consumers, though I'm also not really sure what is stopping them. Maybe people aren't buying as much earbuds as compared to IEMs for them to justify investing in it?

BTW, how are those Samsung earbuds that came with the A50? I had a set of the A50 but I never opened to use the earpiece, and eventually traded in the whole set when I upgraded phones. Now I kind of regret not trying if you ask me.

Well, I have those buds, I have to dedicate some time to corroborate the first impression. As always, as they have not cost me anything, I do not pay them the attention they deserve.

May 2, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #53,699 of 75,472
The reason why I want removable cables, is mainly to be able to switch to my own 3rd party cables that are usually better in build quality and has 4.4mm.

But the more important the reason is that in the unfortunate event that the cable died, I will be able to quickly and safely fix it by swapping cables. I don't even wanna think about what I would have to do if my chaconne cable died...

The one single reason why I bought the chaconne (or any other expensive buds for that matter) is that I use buds at home and to be honest. I don't use them very much. Like my transducer usage is probably 70% iems, 25 % buds and 5% headphones....

So their chances of dying is slim due to low usage and because of the low risk environment (home).

Yep agreed with this, the reasons for having a detachable cable are the following:

1) Better longevity - I've used IEMs for around 16 years, none of them had driver failure but 3 - 4 of them died at the cable (non detachable). So in my experience, non detachable cables are generally the first point of failure down the line. One of my non detachable IEMs died as it suffered an awkward yank, so that's really what I'm afraid of when a TOTL IEM/earbud doesn't come with detachable cables.

2) Use of BT adapters - some of us wanna convert the earbud/IEM to a BT dongle for more convenience.

3) Use of balanced cables or even to cable roll (for cable believers).

I've asked some earbud makers about why some of these TOTL sets don't incorporate detachable cables.
A few reasons they gave me:
1) They claim the tuning was made in mind with the cable in question - for non cable believers, move on. But for cable believers, hmm, even if this is so, I don't believe putting an aftermarket cable will give a night and day difference in sound, unless we are talking about a very crap stock cable with high resistance.

2) putting an MMCX socket on the earbud will sometimes cause the weight and centre of gravity of the earbud to shift from its initial design. I think this is a possible reason, indeed some lighter earbuds, once modified with an MMCX socket that is heavier, may give poorer fit as the stem is now the heaviest part of the earbud.

3) to cut costs. For cheap earbuds in the sub $10 region, eg KBEAR Stellar, Vido, Tingo TC200 etc, a MMCX connector will definitely add costs to the already cheap earbud. Fair enough, but that's no excuse for TOTL earbuds costing 10 - 20 times more for not incorporating an MMCX that is a fraction of its price.

Well, never ending debate here. Some folks do find MMCX may also be problematic with frequent cable changes, and would prefer a non detachable pair, and anyways most of us use earbuds at home due to the subpar isolation, so lesser chance of snagging a cable as such.

May 2, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #53,700 of 75,472
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back