Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #53,221 of 75,149
Let me add a strange thing; coming from the full size headphone world: if you close an open back around the ear headphone, it will totally destroy and distort the sound, obviously, but that doesn’t seem to happen with earbuds. Usually, the sound is even better if you close it in with the finger and push it closer to the ear canal. There’s something to be done about this.

to simulate the frequency shift of covering open-back headphones on the earbuds, i think it would be by covering/taping the air ports of the earbuds.

sometimes when i want to listen to earbuds with isolation, i just put on a headphone over it

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #53,222 of 75,149
Thanks a lot !
Anyone knows if there are closed earbuds ( NOT IEM) like the on;y one I’m aware of, which is the Bose SoundTrue Ultra ?
Not the greatest sound but the only closed back earbud I know in existence.
There's one that I know of that might count. Tralucent Audio 1 Plus 1.2

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #53,223 of 75,149
Bose SoundTrue Ultra
Those bose look like iems to me though.

1617287877031.png
Since they look like they go into your ear canals.

Not sure if there are any closed earbuds though, since you would need to have a seal and its pretty hard for something thats just "sitting" in your ears.
Don’t be fooled by the looks, I guarantee you they are sitting earbuds with excellent isolation. I know this because there was not ONE, ever, IEM that I enjoyed wearing in my entire life. Eother to uncomfortabl, or always slip out, or create weird pressure, or force me to always adjust.
Not fooled at all. Those are most definitely in-ears aka IEMs and not earbuds. Although they may not insert as deeply as some in-ears do they are still sealing within the outer ear canal (in order to provide passive isolation). Even Bose markets these as "in-ears" so until you convince Bose to identify them as "earbuds" most of us will view them as IEMs.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #53,225 of 75,149
The Dunu Alpha1 had those silicon wings, but not eartips. IDK if they are for sealing or for just stability- although it was a hybrid so maybe the thought was to improve isolation for the BA.

I remember there were one or two aftermarket products you could buy that were silicon and shaped like earpod funnels so you could get a seal, though w/ earbuds that aren't tuned for that they probably compromise the acoustics. Yuin also had that pseudo-earbud IEM thing IIRC. OK1 or something?

30010006954587300210_1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #53,226 of 75,149
The Dunu Alpha1 had those silicon wings, but not eartips. IDK if they are for sealing or for just stability- although it was a hybrid so maybe the thought was to improve isolation for the BA.

I remember there were one or two aftermarket products you could buy that were silicon and shaped like earpod funnels so you could get a seal, though w/ earbuds that aren't tuned for that they probably compromise the acoustics. Yuin also had that pseudo-earbud IEM thing IIRC. OK1 or something?

Awesome find !! Will look into that. Greatly appreciated.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #53,228 of 75,149

Great memory there @Raketen :wink: The silicon wings/fins, rings (thin and thick), and foam cushions provided with the DUNU Alpha 1 were indeed meant for "sealing" (but on an earbud "seating" level outside of the air canal) and to "aim/direct" the sound ports into the air canal in different manners to achieve different signatures. In the pics below you can see the flush port for the dynamic driver and the horn port for the balanced armature driver. The failure of the ingenious design and why DUNU abandoned the project was the vast difference in people's ear structures and the fact that the balanced armature driver they used really required a tighter seal that could only be achieved from within the ear canal but then the dynamic driver would have suffered immensely.

From DUNU
Changing style of listening
Build with crafted stainless metal ensure the aesthetics and a long product life, 4 special designed different earbud tips to effectively prevent sound leakage and ensure optimum fit and guaranteed superb listening experience
Fin (Wing) Tips: Bass /Liquid
Thick (Silicon Ring) Tips: Balance /Musical
Thin (Silicon Ring) Tips: Airy /Resolution
Foam tips: Full /Balance

1617336653837.png
1617336771601.png
1617336870864.png

For a dual hybrid-driver unit (one dynamic and one balanced armature) they were surprisingly light but damn they sure were clunky and awkward. I nearly bought them on a few occasions but refrained from doing so due to their unruly nature.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #53,229 of 75,149
Special delivery from Mr. Wong!

Custom high impedance build (Blur 266 MX400 aPs w/ gold plug)

IMG_20210401_180904.jpg
Very much looking forward to hearing your reaction & thoughts about Wong's new aPs system coupled with his recent retuning endeavor.
My aPs earbuds should arrive early next week; I'll surely post my reaction & thoughts here as well as over on the Blur Earbuds Lovers thread here

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #53,230 of 75,149
Not fooled at all. Those are most definitely in-ears aka IEMs and not earbuds. Although they may not insert as deeply as some in-ears do they are still sealing within the outer ear canal (in order to provide passive isolation). Even Bose markets these as "in-ears" so until you convince Bose to identify them as "earbuds" most of us will view them as IEMs.
No these are definitely not IEMs or what Bose calls earbuds are definitely not earbuds, you have to choose. I have both the closed and open version of the soundtrue earbuds and they sit exactly the same on the ear, but one is called earbud (the open) and the other IEM (the closed). The reason is that Bose is not marketed for audiophiles that like to get into minute details of terminology to make a little point. Normal consumers think IEM = isolation, earbud = no isolation.
The conclusion is, Bose has managed to create a closed noise isolating earbud which is pretty awesome as a category.

Apr 2, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #53,231 of 75,149
Very much looking forward to hearing your reaction & thoughts about Wong's new aPs system coupled with his recent retuning endeavor.
My aPs earbuds should arrive early next week; I'll surely post my reaction & thoughts here as well as over on the Blur Earbuds Lovers thread here
Can't wait for you to get your pair!

First impressions based off of my previous of blur mx32 are a noticeable increase in resolution and imaging ability, I'm having that sensation again when I had my first pair of decent headphones where I was noticing details and nuance that I was unaware of in tracks I thought I was very familiar with. Tuning is a bit more mid-centric in comparison to my warmer mx32's, though Wong did tell me that further burn in will smoothen out the mids as that was his experience with his personal unit. Although my phone can drive these buds, at 400ohms they scale noticeably with my desktop setup (which was my intended use). Really love them so far!

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #53,232 of 75,149
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the price of this Blur 266 PK32ohm?

I understand that it also makes them with 2.5 balanced.

I do not have instagram and I do not know if it will send to my country.

blur.JPG

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #53,233 of 75,149
Every day I mourne the fact shipping from the US takes forever to Australia, my Rose Masyas are so close, yet so far.
I'm genuinely sad I missed the window to buy them new, insanely good value for some cool, innovative buds.

The Maria 1 with it's large discount does still look very tempting, makes me wanna consider selling my open backed headphones and downsizing, surely that massive dual driver setup is competitve with full sized headphones?
You'll surely enjoy Rose Masya. It was a very pleasant surprise at first listening session. The bass was well presented, you could tell the big drive on the back was doing its job. I only wish it's got a bit more definition across the board. I had to returned them because one side was a few dbs louder than the other, I say it's a keeper if you get a set without QC issue.

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #53,234 of 75,149
Out of curiosity, does anyone know the price of this Blur 266 PK32ohm?

I understand that it also makes them with 2.5 balanced.

I do not have instagram and I do not know if it will send to my country.

I already got in touch, very good feeling.

Apr 2, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #53,235 of 75,149
Gang, any feedback on Ansata Pro?

This is a 2021 model from Ourart/Hessian with mmcx and nice looking cable. Retail at Penon is $90 usd, I'm seeing it as low as $50 with AE sale/coupons.

Screenshot_20210402-125909.png

edit: while looking up Ansata Pro, found this jp thread with interesting feedback on Rw-2000, Chaconne and some other popular models.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back