Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #496 of 75,240
  Is there a way to tell if you are getting real vs. fake MX-980's?

I'm in the U.S.  and have these options:

EBAY:

- $136 new in box from Australia

- $187 new from Australia

- $210 - $225 from S. Korea -- all these prices seem very low for new MX-980s??

AMAZON:

- $199 used, like new, but missing foam ear pieces, from Pennsylvania

Same kind of story for MX-985's... $150 from Hong Kong, $250 from S. Korea.  What do the pro's in here think... take a chance that these are legit?  Some way to investigate first?  I only ask because it seems the retail price of these was MUCH higher.

Considering the price, I think those low price you posted is just the average price of BNIB MX980/985 I can get from authorized reseller of Senns here in China. You wont believe, the price here is only 123-140 USD bnew and with full warranty from Senn. I am talking about legit senns not fakes.

IMO there is only one way to know if you bought legit or not, and that is after you submit your senns for authetication at their website. http://qr-sennheiser.com/index.php?id=5&L=1&id=5

Nov 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #497 of 75,240
I bought my pair of PK3 for $35 and my pair of PK2 for $55, so there wasn't that much of a difference.

I bought a pair of modded/DIY PK2 for around $20 from an Ebay seller and I think that sounds better than both the original PK2 and the PK3. The regular PK2 doesn't have any depth in the soundstage and the modded version improves on that. However, for some reason the modded PK2 works best with softer music than with rock. The soundstage makes acoustic and classical music sound very nice but with rock there's something that sounds a bit off.

The DIY earbud model Dasetn AP8 that I bought for around $7 sound better than all the other 3.

Wait,,, are you saying those $7 modded ones sound better to you than real Yuin PK2 and PK3?

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #498 of 75,240
Wait,,, are you saying those $7 modded ones sound better to you than real Yuin PK2 and PK3?

Yep. At least in my opinion. Mostly because of the relatively deep soundstage with good instrument placement. The regular Yuin PK 2 & 3 earbuds have a soundstage that's pretty flat...

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #502 of 75,240
Haven't listened to any of the OK series myself actually. But I do prefer MX985 over all the PK series for sure.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #505 of 75,240
Just bought a pair of MX-985 from Ebay, for $159 including shipping, from Hong Kong.

Of course, I am sweating with fear that these will be counterfeit.

Will report back, once I've received and attempted to verify on Sennheiser's website.

Cheers!
-Hukk

Nov 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #507 of 75,240
Dec 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #510 of 75,240
  Guys, unfortunately may ears shape will only hold correctly in-ear earphones; I see that in the reviewed ones in this thread, there are no in-ear earphones.....

The market for earbuds nowadays is very small and this is one of few active threads about eabuds here on Head-fi. There are many threads about canal earphones and in ear monitors.
Personally I dislike to shove things inside my ear canals and love the open sound that earbuds give me, but that's just my subjective opinion.

Yuin with their PK series probably have the smallest earbuds on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back