Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #526 of 75,075
  I bought my Sennheiser MX-985 from:
Ebay seller bigbargainonline, who has 10,000 transactions and 99.9% pos feedback

Sennheiser authentication website doesn't work with their box.  That's what got me worried.  HOWEVER, the seller has now told me that Sennheisers from China are governed by a chinese authentication website, located here....

http://www.sennheiser.com.cn/service-support/anti-counterfeit

Of course, it's all in chinese, so I am having trouble authenticating.  But the fact that he showed this to me and showed me which sticker on the box to check is a positive sign.

UPDATE:  Sennheiser USA says these earbuds are genuine.  I never could use the Chinese website, so I mailed them to Sennheiser in CT.  They were VERY nice, friendly and helpful.

Happy Ending.  Whew.  Bigbargainonline, sorry I doubted you.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #527 of 75,075

UPDATE:  Sennheiser USA says these earbuds are genuine.  I never could use the Chinese website, so I mailed them to Sennheiser in CT.  They were VERY nice, friendly and helpful.

Happy Ending.  Whew.  Bigbargainonline, sorry I doubted you.

Congrats, no more sleepless nights. Enjoy the holidays with your MX-985
happy_face1.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #528 of 75,075
  I just received my MX985 new in box.

OK, so how do the Sennheiser MX-985 sound?

Direct into my iPhone 4S, they sound great.  They completely crush the Apple i-anything white earbuds, which actually sound very good if you use the black fuzzies which keep them more secure in your ears.  The MX985 have much better bass, dynamics, and air/space/transparency.  Very punchy compared to the Apple earbuds.  And much more realistic midrange.

However, the MX985 are not "world class" in terms of treble purity, space, and transparency.  Good, and pleasing, but not Rolls-Royce superior.   My home stereo sounds better (then again, my home stereo is very serious).

Note that I'm a very picky mofo, and if I say the MX985 are "good", that is a strong recommendation from me.  Most audio gear falls into the "fail" or "total fail" category for me.

I will wait until my JDS C5 portable amp and Fiio L3 line out dock arrive, and post more thoughts then.  It will be fun to see if Rolls Royce sound can come from a total investment of $350 in 'buds, amp and LOD.

-Hukk

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #529 of 75,075
The Blox ANV3se has been on sale for ~3 days now meaning either Blox has finally stepped up their production capacities and got a few hundred ANV3se buds made or Blox is having major sales trouble as before they usually all sold out within 1 day. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #530 of 75,075
  The Blox ANV3se has been on sale for ~3 days now meaning either Blox has finally stepped up their production capacities and got a few hundred ANV3se buds made or Blox is having major sales trouble as before they usually all sold out within 1 day. 

I think they might have damaged their image with the BI3.
People aren't as excited about Blox products as before.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #531 of 75,075

I think they might have damaged their image with the BI3.
People aren't as excited about Blox products as before.

Blox ANV3se is still up for sale even now. WOW. I think at this point it means a combination of both.

EDIT: lol just refreshed the page 30 seconds ago and they are gone. Whoops. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #532 of 75,075
  Well, I don't think that I can contribute too much since I haven't heard the PAA-1 Pro, but at least I can give my quick opinions on the Sunrise AS Charm 3 and Yuin PK3. I'd say that the PK3 have got a much more "fun" sound than the Charm 3, which has got a thinner and more "analytic" sound. The PK3 has got fuller and more forward mids and slightly "boomy" bass. The Charm 3 doesn't have the same nice mids but on the other hand, bass is slightly more detailed.
From what I have read about the PAA-1 Pro, they are pretty dark and bassy, so the 3 earbuds are quite different in sound: Sunrise Charm 3 is pretty neutral with clear highs, PK3 has got great mids and the PAA-1 Pro has got a lot of bass...

Here are two reviews of the Charm 3:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642007/review-the-charming-sunrise-charm-3-sr80

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657551/review-sunrise-audio-charm3-and-dragon2

There's also the Vsonic UU2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290877755704?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

And the Sunrise AS Feeling 2:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380463178064?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I think both of those are around Yuin PK3 or slightly below when it comes to sound quality...

Edit: If the seller ships to your country, I'd really recommend these earbuds: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141131804999&item=141131804999&vectorid=229466

They are not very bassy and highs are slightly harsh, but the Dasetn AP8 has got great depth in its soundstage. The soundstages of the Yuin PK3 and Sunrise AS Charm 3 sound very flat in comparison. For this low price they are really recommended!

Lots of thanks Danneq for your detailed answer!!

Best wishes

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #533 of 75,075
My Dasetn AP8 earbuds that I bought on eBay arrived today, and after a couple of hours of listening I wanted to chime in on some preliminary impressions (they've only been burned in ~10 hours). The soundstage is much deeper than I thought for something I bought for $13. It is really deep, but not as wide as my Ultrasone Pro 900. Also, I'm very impressed about the bass. Much more bassy than I thought, but the bass is impressive and not really muddy. The highs are a bit harsh/sibilant, but revealing. Maybe with some burn in they will round out a bit. If not, I'm fine with them as is. The mids are not overshadowed by either the highs or the bass which means an overall balanced signature with a bassy tilt. I don't have Blox to compare them to at this time, but I am going to bet that they beat the Blox at least on build quality. I'm pretty stringent on what I would like to listen to even in terms of beater gym headphones; however, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with these so I'll be tossing them in my backpack every morning. These things seem pretty well made and built of quality materials (I mean, these things do have Audio Technica logos on the cable so that could be why). I'll let them burn in a bit more and listen to them some more before writing a real review. Danneq, since you're the only person I know with the AP8s, does this sound in line with your pair as well? 

I'm wondering if ClieOS could get these since he has heard so many buds then he could tell us where these stack up in the hierarchy. Honestly, if he doesn't want to get them, I might be willing to chip in the $13 for these to send to him just because I am that curious where these stack up. Please get these ClieOS! 

Will be back in a couple of days to write a longer review. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #534 of 75,075
My Dasetn AP8 earbuds that I bought on eBay arrived today, and after a couple of hours of listening I wanted to chime in on some preliminary impressions (they've only been burned in ~10 hours). The soundstage is much deeper than I thought for something I bought for $13. It is really deep, but not as wide as my Ultrasone Pro 900. Also, I'm very impressed about the bass. Much more bassy than I thought, but the bass is impressive and not really muddy. The highs are a bit harsh/sibilant, but revealing. Maybe with some burn in they will round out a bit. If not, I'm fine with them as is. The mids are not overshadowed by either the highs or the bass which means an overall balanced signature with a bassy tilt. I don't have Blox to compare them to at this time, but I am going to bet that they beat the Blox at least on build quality. I'm pretty stringent on what I would like to listen to even in terms of beater gym headphones; however, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with these so I'll be tossing them in my backpack every morning. These things seem pretty well made and built of quality materials (I mean, these things do have Audio Technica logos on the cable so that could be why). I'll let them burn in a bit more and listen to them some more before writing a real review. Danneq, since you're the only person I know with the AP8s, does this sound in line with your pair as well? 

I'm wondering if ClieOS could get these since he has heard so many buds then he could tell us where these stack up in the hierarchy. Honestly, if he doesn't want to get them, I might be willing to chip in the $13 for these to send to him just because I am that curious where these stack up. Please get these ClieOS! 

Will be back in a couple of days to write a longer review. 

Yes they are that good but I got them about a year ago. Sad to say I don't own any high end bud like Blox or Sennheiser. With a little burn in.. The high will be tamed and it is one of my favourite go to bud.

Good one you got there

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #536 of 75,075
This maybe out of question, but if you have to choose earbuds for Movie and gaming,

Which one do you prefered?

Between the DIY Yuin and AP8....... I would go for AP8 because the soundstage is just excellent and for the price... It's a no brainer for less then usd20.

I don't own any other brand earbuds except Yuin and DIY Yuin PK2 n PK3 and lastly AP8...... So that is my basis of comparison.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #537 of 75,075
Between the DIY Yuin and AP8....... I would go for AP8 because the soundstage is just excellent and for the price... It's a no brainer for less then usd20.

I don't own any other brand earbuds except Yuin and DIY Yuin PK2 n PK3 and lastly AP8...... So that is my basis of comparison.

Wokei, since you own the Yuins, how do you think the AP8 compares to them? Is it worth buying the PK2 and PK3 after getting the AP8 or should I not bother and only save up for better buds (I heard there's a new Blox coming in 2014).

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #538 of 75,075
Wokei, since you own the Yuins, how do you think the AP8 compares to them? Is it worth buying the PK2 and PK3 after getting the AP8 or should I not bother and only save up for better buds (I heard there's a new Blox coming in 2014).

For me.... Just get the AP8s for the moment and if you think you would like to try Yuin... Then do so later after you have tried AP8.

AP8 definitely have better soundstage n separation compared to the original Yuin PK3 and the DIY Yuin PK2 and PK3 that I owned. To go a little further., my original Yuin PK3 did not last that long about 6 months with delicate TLC but my Dasetn DIY Yuin PK2 and PK3 have better cable and both have lasted almost +1 year and still look to be in very good condition. Even the sound of the DIY Yuin is better than the original PK3.

But I still think AP8 is the best of the lot.

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #539 of 75,075
For me.... Just get the AP8s for the moment and if you think you would like to try Yuin... Then do so later after you have tried AP8.

AP8 definitely have better soundstage n separation compared to the original Yuin PK3 and the DIY Yuin PK2 and PK3 that I owned. To go a little further., my original Yuin PK3 did not last that long about 6 months with delicate TLC but my Dasetn DIY Yuin PK2 and PK3 have better cable and both have lasted almost +1 year and still look to be in very good condition. Even the sound of the DIY Yuin is better than the original PK3.

But I still think AP8 is the best of the lot.

That's good to hear. I've been listening to the AP8 most of today and comparing to my Denon and Ultrasone headphones. The modded Denon D2000 appears to be in a different league, but for $12 this thing is pretty darn good haha. The bass has mellowed out a bit, but not much more has happened after hours of burn in. I'm pretty satisfied with these although I wish I could find an earbud that is in the league of the old Denons and Fostex cans.These will definitely be in my pocket everyday though. They are as good as I suspected.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #540 of 75,075
Great that you like the AP8, goldenSHK! I will comment more on your impressions when I have more time.

I have sent a message to Dasetn on Ebay complimenting on his earbuds and suggested that he branch out. He replied:
"Yes, I can sell to you! Can you help me to sell to your country, I am building a company! Next year I will to customize headphone like ue and westone... If you are interested, please tell me, thank you sincerely! Waiting for your reply"

Now, I cannot help much except buying his stuff, but I replied that I will spread this on Head-fi and then perhaps someone can come with suggestions. I wrote that I hoped that he will focus in earbuds since he easily can compete with other Chinese makers such as Hisoundaudio and Yuin and the earbud market is small. But of course he would probably want to expand into the IEM market as well...

If he would try to make an audio company, I suppose that he would have to stop using stuff from Audio Technica and other makers since that could get him into trouble. He could still use generic Sennheiser MX400 style housing as Blox does.
Anyway, there's big talent there that I hope don't go to waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back