Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 1, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #5,026 of 75,149
  Actually, I have been meaning to ask for a while:

How do manufactures tuned same specs driver to have somewhat different sounding? (ceteris paribus with housings, cable and jacks)

Do they flock the housing differently?
Do they perhaps solder on some resistor to the driver change the sound?

It has been a great mystery to me.....
confused.gif

Diaphragm material, composition, and thickness. voice coil material and wire thickness, housing design, internal dampening, open vs. close vs. semi-open, front grill  / vent, etc. Everything that can be changed, can be used for tuning. Impedance is only a very small part of whole design, and certainly not a determine factor of how a driver should sound like. Sometime two driver might look similar in spec, but can be very different sounding because they really just 'look' similar by eyes, but not by measurement. Even a simple open vs. close design can change how the same driver behaves.

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #5,027 of 75,149
While testing a few recent earbud arrivals, I snapped a few pictures.

VE Asura 2.0:

NoSounD Blur (Thin and Lean):

The Asura 2.0 has a smoother, thicker sound than the original version. 

The Blur (Thin and Lean) is a little dark for my liking.  It has a boost to the bass which does muffle the mids and highs a bit.

--

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #5,028 of 75,149

VE Asura 2.0:

The Blur (Thin and Lean) is a little dark for my liking.  It has a boost to the bass which does muffle the mids and highs a bit.

--

great work mate. any tips to take nice iem photos
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #5,029 of 75,149

great work mate. any tips to take nice iem photos
tongue.gif

A Tripod, Good Lighting and TONS of Patience.  

You don't need fancy equipment.  I don't have any.  All my stuff is SUPER budget.  

--

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #5,030 of 75,149

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Original-Speaker-Unit-With-Shell-can-change-wire-150-ohms-Original-Red-Film-without/32653325595.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Original-****-PK1-15mm-Driver-Speaker-Unit-With-Shell-MMCX-Connector-In-Ear-Earburd/32653345463.html

The first one (leftmost in picture) states it uses the PK1 driver, while the other (white cable) has a 15mm driver.  Just put them both on the burner, so I'm curious to see how they do once I pull them off.  And just a disclaimer, neither come with an MMCX cable, so if you decide to try em out, be prepared.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #5,031 of 75,149

A Tripod, Good Lighting and TONS of Patience.  

You don't need fancy equipment.  I don't have any.  All my stuff is SUPER budget.  

--

thanks mate will keep on practising cheers!

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #5,032 of 75,149
  The first one (leftmost in picture) states it uses the PK1 driver, while the other (white cable) has a 15mm driver.

They keep saying that, perhaps just hoping one day it might come true.
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #5,034 of 75,149
any recommendations for a cheaper pair(<$30~$40) with an in line microphone.  Prefer neutral sound and wider soundstage.  Was impressed by what the monks can do and like being able to hear the outside world sometimes.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #5,035 of 75,149

VE Asura 2.0:

--

Nice pictures, BloodyPenguin !
Do you have a link for the Blur Thin & Lean ? I love bassy earbuds but couldn't find those ones anywhere...
confused_face.gif

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #5,036 of 75,149

Diaphragm material, composition, and thickness. voice coil material and wire thickness, housing design, internal dampening, open vs. close vs. semi-open, front grill  / vent, etc. Everything that can be changed, can be used for tuning. Impedance is only a very small part of whole design, and certainly not a determine factor of how a driver should sound like. Sometime two driver might look similar in spec, but can be very different sounding because they really just 'look' similar by eyes, but not by measurement. Even a simple open vs. close design can change how the same driver behaves.

Thank-you very much once again for the very very informative reply sifu.

Never fail to learn something new hahaha

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #5,037 of 75,149

Nice pictures, BloodyPenguin !
Do you have a link for the Blur Thin & Lean ? I love bassy earbuds but couldn't find those ones anywhere...
confused_face.gif

The contact info has been posted a few times, so I just sent you a PM.  
cool.gif

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back