Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 30, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #49,501 of 75,882
Don't you think Rambo II is veiled?
Yes, it sort of is but once you bring down the lower mids and raise the upper mids a smidge it cleans up nicely. I posted an autoeq file some pages back. I can also put up a peq file if you want.

Sep 30, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #49,502 of 75,882
Yes, it sort of is but once you bring down the lower mids and raise the upper mids a smidge it cleans up nicely. I posted an autoeq file some pages back. I can also put up a peq file if you want.

Thank you, but I don't EQ them.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #49,504 of 75,882
Can anyone recommend an earbud that have shell size similar to PK?

I kinda want to add some TOTL earbud to mycollection, I have tried Fiio EM5/Moondrop Liebesledied but both are too big to get a good fit in my ear.

I would recommend the SIMPHONIO DRAGON 3 to you. I think this is the best of the famous and major PK type earbuds.
I had the SIMPHONIO DRAGON 2+ a generation ago and it was great, so I think this one is even better.

https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/simphonio-dragon-3.html

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #49,505 of 75,882
If you're on an android 9+ device, use this file with wavelet and your nameless earbud will sound about 7X better.

**edit**
and will be one of your top earbuds in sound.
Sorry for the noob question, but how exactly do I use this file?
I got music playing via Spotify, K's Nameless connected and Wavelet open. I successfully import the file thorugh AutoEq, but... nothing's happening? The eq line is flat, headphone model shows as empty and I don't hear any changes in sound.

Oct 1, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #49,506 of 75,882
I've got the red ones. Though I'm not sure if the colour variance still applies in 2020. May I have the setting? Thanks!

From my experience with Vidos, yes there are variations in sound signature across the different colours. I don't have my Qudelix 5K handy at the moment (the PEQ settings are stored on it). I'll PM you the settings once I do.

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #49,507 of 75,882
From my experience with Vidos, yes there are variations in sound signature across the different colours. I don't have my Qudelix 5K handy at the moment (the PEQ settings are stored on it). I'll PM you the settings once I do.
Thanks!!!

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #49,508 of 75,882
Oct 1, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #49,509 of 75,882
Sorry for the noob question, but how exactly do I use this file?
I got music playing via Spotify, K's Nameless connected and Wavelet open. I successfully import the file thorugh AutoEq, but... nothing's happening? The eq line is flat, headphone model shows as empty and I don't hear any changes in sound.
Yeah it's not intuitive. The last step is to do a search for the imported file. You might have to toggle between legacy mode after selecting the file.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #49,510 of 75,882
Yeah it's not intuitive. The last step is to do a search for the imported file. You might have to toggle between legacy mode after selecting the file.
Finally got it to work. Thanks!

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #49,511 of 75,882
Finally got it to work. Thanks!
If you click on the autoeq graph you can select strength. Most buds will not tolerate anything above 60 percent, depending on your source.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #49,512 of 75,882
That's actually a good proof point, the EM5, regarding the steep diminishing returns with buds. There is no linear price to value ratio when targeting 90% of the performance of something like the em5 (and likely the turandot, etc.).

The biggest, glaring weakness in really "liking an earbud" is its default tuning. Perhaps for those of us who never really got into IEMs, the transition is not that striking. But lately (last 1-2 years), it seems most of the incredible-for-the-price chi-fi IEMs target Harman or something close to it. We don't see that tendency at all with buds. From my still limited experience, I'm seeing 80% of the buds I get to be tuned bass boosted that bloom into the lower mids in pronounced manner. 20% have neutralish bass with good emphasis on upper mids.

This is why I'm such a big fan of "modding" the sound via eq. All of these buds after compensating with oratory1990 target is 90% of my em5:
- K's nameless
- rw9
- me80
- monk lite 120ohm
- bk2
- rambo 2
Can you please share your "Neutron compatible eq" for me80 and Bk2 ?
Nameless arrived today, burning in for the moment...
And as I also have Monk+ SL, would also be curious about your Monk lite eq...

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #49,513 of 75,882
Can you please share your "Neutron compatible eq" for me80 and Bk2 ?
Nameless arrived today, burning in for the moment...
And as I also have Monk+ SL, would also be curious about your Monk lite eq...
Hmm... I haven't made it a regular practice to compile peq files along with my geq and autoeq files. I guess I should do so from now.

If I could get a group of our buds users to use wavelet, with a single bud (or 2) for test ourposes, I can take a poll as to whether you prefer harman target or oratory. I'm also thinking of using toranku target.

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #49,514 of 75,882
Smabat are also selling a M2 DIY model where you have to do the assembly and soldering yourself.

Another Jcally earbud showed up on their store, the EP05 which has mmcx cable.
Just saw this and realized Aliexpress is EXTREMELY OVERPRICED! Got my mind blown on the price...

On Aliexpress - Smabat/JCALLY EP05 selling for USD 48.00
On Shopee - Smabat JCALLY EP05 selling for USD 9.00 (https://shopee.ph/JCALLY-EP05-High-...y-OFC-Earbuds-earphone-i.296110688.7754307323)

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #49,515 of 75,882

Users who are viewing this thread

Back