Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 6, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #49,111 of 75,235
Hello friend
Has anyone tried the new smabat m2 pro
It looks very interesting

Wrote a small review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smabat-m2-pro.24517/reviews#item-review-24141/

It is a good midfi set, especially for those who wanna explore different tuning modules, foam covers, or even soldering different driver types to change the sound signature. So in essence, u are actually getting more than one earbud with purchase, as there are many permutations to the sound.

Technicalities aren't the best, but it has good timbre, good fit (can be worn over ear or cable down). DIYers will have a field day, but even if you can't solder well to change drivers, the foam covers and tuning modules don't require soldering and u can already get a few sound signatures without soldering.

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #49,112 of 75,235
Wrote a small review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smabat-m2-pro.24517/reviews#item-review-24141/

It is a good midfi set, especially for those who wanna explore different tuning modules, foam covers, or even soldering different driver types to change the sound signature. So in essence, u are actually getting more than one earbud with purchase, as there are many permutations to the sound.

Technicalities aren't the best, but it has good timbre, good fit (can be worn over ear or cable down). DIYers will have a field day, but even if you can't solder well to change drivers, the foam covers and tuning modules don't require soldering and u can already get a few sound signatures without soldering.
Thanks a lot

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #49,113 of 75,235
Any opinion about what are today's very best Mmcx earbuds available ?
Can they beat or equal the best "fixed cable" earbuds ?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #49,115 of 75,235
Probably, Cax red dragon, Miracle Totem that I never heard unfortunately :frowning2: , and let's see with Tiny Woodcraft when they arrived
Don't count in Ourart QJ21 ?

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #49,117 of 75,235
if you ask for the very best so probably nope, but only who has everything can say some more valuable subjective response
Why do you exclude QJ21 from very best ?
I didn't find a Mmcx version of CAX red Dragon ?
And didn't find Miracle totem at all...

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #49,118 of 75,235
Why do you exclude QJ21 from very best ?
I didn't find a Mmcx version of CAX red Dragon ?
And didn't find Miracle totem at all...

my bad sorry I had a lapse, the Red Dragon has fixed cable, don't know if upon request they can do mmcx, but is totally customizable so maybe? The Miracle Totem is some obscure Thai item, you can found it in the Thai group on Facebook, if you want to include the QJ21 I think you need to watch also to the ATH CM2000Ti, I was not including it because you ask for the very best and I went straight on item on 700 and over price range

Sep 7, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #49,119 of 75,235
my bad sorry I had a lapse, the Red Dragon has fixed cable, don't know if upon request they can do mmcx, but is totally customizable so maybe? The Miracle Totem is some obscure Thai item, you can found it in the Thai group on Facebook, if you want to include the QJ21 I think you need to watch also to the ATH CM2000Ti, I was not including it because you ask for the very best and I went straight on item on 700 and over price range
The ATH CM2000Ti is using the A2DC connector and not MMCX.

Sep 7, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #49,120 of 75,235
Another fundamental question I ask myself : is the classical earbud form factor (Yuin shell, mx500 shell) a limiting factor for sound quality ?
Which means : do the more exotic new shells/bodies (k's Bell ti, ourart qj21, smabat, ...) allow to go further in sound quality ? Or is shell factor not really important, vs driver and fine tuning ?

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #49,121 of 75,235
Another fundamental question I ask myself : is the classical earbud form factor (Yuin shell, mx500 shell) a limiting factor for sound quality ?
Which means : do the more exotic new shells/bodies (k's Bell ti, ourart qj21, smabat, ...) allow to go further in sound quality ? Or is shell factor not really important, vs driver and fine tuning ?

For me, firstly the fit is the most important in a earbud. Even if a earbud sounds heavenly but can't give u a good fit, that defeats the purpose doesn't it. We all have different ear anatomy though, so YMMV, some may fit the newer shells better or vice versa. Good thing is some of the newer designs eg SMABAT line can let one wear the cable over ear or hanging down, so that increases fit options.

I think shell shape definitely influences the sound. Not to mention shell material, shell size, location of driver, damping materials etc, they all affect the resonances and sound signature for sure.

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #49,122 of 75,235
I wonder what HungryPanda would have answered...
@ClieOS maybe ?

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #49,123 of 75,235
I wonder what HungryPanda would have answered...
@ClieOS maybe ?
HungryPanda would have said that the shell does affect the sound. He sometimes used the same drivers in two or three different shells to see what would happen .

In my list are all the buds he made for me,,, along with all of my other gear. They are all good.

I don't know what to do with all the supplies that are here... drivers, shells, tuning materials...

There are unfinished projects. Some already had names but now they will never exist.

I have not been listening to much music. Too painful. Too emotional. Plus my left ear hurt for a long time even after I had recovered from covid. Mostly I just try to keep his garden alive and I binge watch a lot of Netflix series.

Sep 7, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #49,124 of 75,235
HungryPanda would have said that the shell does affect the sound. He sometimes used the same drivers in two or three different shells to see what would happen .

In my list are all the buds he made for me,,, along with all of my other gear. They are all good.

I don't know what to do with all the supplies that are here... drivers, shells, tuning materials...

There are unfinished projects. Some already had names but now they will never exist.

I have not been listening to much music. Too painful. Too emotional. Plus my left ear hurt for a long time even after I had recovered from covid. Mostly I just try to keep his garden alive and I binge watch a lot of Netflix series.

He was irreplaceable, we all miss him, but I´m sure he´s looking down and wants you to be happy and smile once again. Dealing with loss is hard, in times when I´ve been down I made it it a point to try and end the day with gratitude and a smile, to that end I do as yourself and watch an episode of Brooklyn Nine Nine or a standup comedian that I like on youtube (Dave Chapelle, Bill Burr, Norm McDonald, Steve Hoffsteter and how he deals with hecklers etc) just watch comedians, find one you like and go over his work, you might find yourself doing the unthinkable beforehand and laughing out loud. Regarding the music, well this one´s for you:

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #49,125 of 75,235
For me, firstly the fit is the most important in a earbud. Even if a earbud sounds heavenly but can't give u a good fit, that defeats the purpose doesn't it. We all have different ear anatomy though, so YMMV, some may fit the newer shells better or vice versa. Good thing is some of the newer designs eg SMABAT line can let one wear the cable over ear or hanging down, so that increases fit options.

I think shell shape definitely influences the sound. Not to mention shell material, shell size, location of driver, damping materials etc, they all affect the resonances and sound signature for sure.
I'm just getting into buds but this is the biggest factor.... and much more difficult for me with buds than IEMs or over the ear sets. Fit is just wonky.

The FAAEL Snow lotus 1.0+ I have sounds very, very good.... IF I get them to seal ok. And even when I get them to seal ok it's just ok, not like an IEM seal and I'm still getting maybe 75% optimal performance?

If I press on them into my ears they sound much much better (and louder) and the bass stops leaking out. But you can't do that all the time....

I should get my ME80 and smabat st10s (gold) in a few days, but the sacrifices with buds are obvious and finding a "decent" fit is way, way harder for me than with IEMs/headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back