Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #47,461 of 75,342
Apr 7, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #47,462 of 75,342
So anyone have the new Smabat ST-10s in ear yet? Smabat is my favorite as far as earbuds. I have both the M1 Pro as well as St-10(wearing them now). The new graph from the company shows some bass shift and I am not sure what else to expect. I know they made the bass chamber bigger and the two ohm types. Since I mostly do things from my Dell laptop I will probably just do the Silver unless Gold is really that much better then I'll be going for the gold. Overall still really happy with the old order Smabat kit but of course I am pulled in by the new shiny things.
You need that new shiny golden toy :wink:

Apr 7, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #47,464 of 75,342
So anyone have the new Smabat ST-10s in ear yet? Smabat is my favorite as far as earbuds. I have both the M1 Pro as well as St-10(wearing them now). The new graph from the company shows some bass shift and I am not sure what else to expect. I know they made the bass chamber bigger and the two ohm types. Since I mostly do things from my Dell laptop I will probably just do the Silver unless Gold is really that much better then I'll be going for the gold. Overall still really happy with the old order Smabat kit but of course I am pulled in by the new shiny things.
Hear, Hear! :ksc75smile:

Since its laptop driven, I'd go for the Gold.

150ohm means it can be driven with a bit morr amperage and will give more control. Which imo = possibly better sound. It also will be less susceptible to hiss from higher output impedance sources.

The silver 40ohm appears very similar to the original which is 45ohm iirc. Except for the obviously 'longer' bass port. Longer = lower frequency when it comes to port design. For example, that means it's emphasis may move from 80hz to 60hz, or something along those lines.

So silver may be more of a sidegrade and gold has a better chance of being an upgrade. At least that's what I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #47,466 of 75,342
I wish someone would make an Smabat-style earbud but use a PK shell at the end instead of that almost 16mm monstrosity.

I have recently ordered the Final Audio E2000 ( I know, they are IEM's and not earbuds). For fun, after burn in, I'll test them against my Shozy BKs which have been my main daily drivers.

Also, had to have my Shozy BKs fixed by an engineer buddy of mine since Shozy was non-responsive when I asked to have them repaired (even told them I'd pay). That was the last time I spend really anything over $50 on earphones without detachable cables. They sound great, but I just know they will die at some point.

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #47,467 of 75,342
I wish someone would make an Smabat-style earbud but use a PK shell at the end instead of that almost 16mm monstrosity.

I have recently ordered the Final Audio E2000 ( I know, they are IEM's and not earbuds). For fun, after burn in, I'll test them against my Shozy BKs which have been my main daily drivers.

Also, had to have my Shozy BKs fixed by an engineer buddy of mine since Shozy was non-responsive when I asked to have them repaired (even told them I'd pay). That was the last time I spend really anything over $50 on earphones without detachable cables. They sound great, but I just know they will die at some point.
m1pro has a smaller driver 14.1 mm than 14.8 bk's

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #47,469 of 75,342
m1pro has a smaller driver 14.1 mm than 14.8 bk's
Awesome! I have put these on my wish list. Will look up some reviews and see what the sound signature and quality are like. The BKs are basically TOTL earbuds for me--so, the real reason I would replace them is because I can get an equal quality of sound with detachable cables.

Apr 9, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #47,470 of 75,342
Awesome! I have put these on my wish list. Will look up some reviews and see what the sound signature and quality are like. The BKs are basically TOTL earbuds for me--so, the real reason I would replace them is because I can get an equal quality of sound with detachable cables.
Try the final audio design A8000

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #47,471 of 75,342
Try the final audio design A8000
I'd never spend that kind of money on any headphones ($2,000). If I was going to buy a TOTL IEM, I'd probably buy the latest Flare as it too uses a Berilyum driver and most reviewers believe it is better than Campfire's offerings. Also, I don't like IEMs without big ports, or those that are not designed like small bullets--I can never get them to fit right, and without the port, I can hear my breathing too much--makes me feel like I'm under water.

With regards to the Final Audio E2000 that I just received: I have to burn them in, but what I'm hearing is quite good for $40 though there is WAAAAAAYYYY too much bass currently. Hope it settles down. Also, the soundstage isn't bad for an IEM, but it does not come even close to my Shozy BK in soundstage or separation (separation issues is likely do to the overbearing midbass).

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #47,472 of 75,342
About ready to pull that rotten trigger for the Smabat ST-10s but which one does me choose... 40Ω or 150Ω?
For only desktop usage...either 40Ω or 150Ω.
I do have a nice dac/amp... so 150Ω.
But I already have a pair of 150Ω ear buds... so 40Ω.
Decisions, decisions. Help!

Apr 9, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #47,473 of 75,342
I'd never spend that kind of money on any headphones ($2,000). If I was going to buy a TOTL IEM, I'd probably buy the latest Flare as it too uses a Berilyum driver and most reviewers believe it is better than Campfire's offerings. Also, I don't like IEMs without big ports, or those that are not designed like small bullets--I can never get them to fit right, and without the port, I can hear my breathing too much--makes me feel like I'm under water.

With regards to the Final Audio E2000 that I just received: I have to burn them in, but what I'm hearing is quite good for $40 though there is WAAAAAAYYYY too much bass currently. Hope it settles down. Also, the soundstage isn't bad for an IEM, but it does not come even close to my Shozy BK in soundstage or separation (separation issues is likely do to the overbearing midbass).
E500 then

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #47,474 of 75,342
E500 then

Ehhh... no detatchable cable, its not a bullet style iem and thus, requires fiddling to get it to sit right. Not sure the SQ is up to its pricetag. The new Flares are getting extremely good reviews for a $500 IEM and check all the boxes. Obviously I'm not looking for headphones in that price range though since I'm perfectly happy with my $160 Shozy BK :wink:

Wonder if I could pay to have them modded to have replaceable cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back