Earbuds Round-Up
May 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #4,666 of 75,882

AFAIK, there are blue cable and black cable version, though I really don't know if there is any difference between them. Mine is the black cable version.

Thank you for the reply.  

I think the Fareal is a decent bud for the price, but just not too my personal sound signature liking. Maybe just a tad too much in the highs for me to really enjoy them, thus why I am selling them.

Also, thank you for your thoughts on the TO300, really had my eye on it, but now I think I may just skip it, as I already enjoy the Ting and Tomahawk a great deal.  I still have to spend more time with the Ting Light (green) before I post up more about them though.  

--

May 16, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #4,667 of 75,882
  Here are some of my recent acquirement (*forgot to include the Tuner/调音师's earbuds):

Pai Audio 3.14 Flat (or PR1?) and Fareal are both big surprise to me on how good they sound relative to how low they cost, especially on Fareal. Early impression is that, both of them should be solid upper Good if not lower Great. Monk+ is also a solid offering, more accurate than old Monk but also slightly less fun. Overall a small improvement to my ears. Lyra6 is an interesting sounding earbud, right now it is more of a middle Great earbud to me, will need more time to decide. The new Music Maker / MrZ / ToneKing TO300 just arrived a couple of hours ago - priced higher than Ting and Tomahawk, I had some high hope that it might be able to compete with the Champion (and for that, I opted for the more expensive silver plated single crystal cable version). But to my surprise and disappointment, I don't really like it over Ting or Tomahawk - it sort of sound like Ting without its edge and clarity. Still a pretty good earbuds overall, but more of a mid-to-lower Great tier to my ears. For now, I'll rather recommend Ting or Tomahawk over it. Will give it a few days of burn-in and see how it goes.

I agree, the PR1 is a solid bud for the price

May 16, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #4,668 of 75,882
So I just got my Tomahawks today. They sound awesome. Im not very musically knowledgable but something feels off. Like the sound is being shredded or something is wrong with the headphones. Are there like test songs to verify this? lol
Thanks.
Edit: Im hearing weird buzzing from the left ear.

May 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,669 of 75,882
  So I just got my Tomahawks today. They sound awesome. Im not very musically knowledgable but something feels off. Like the sound is being shredded or something is wrong with the headphones. Are there like test songs to verify this? lol
Thanks.

Download Audacity, make a sine wave and play it back? It should be perfectly smooth & distortion free, unless your volume's way too high...

May 16, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #4,670 of 75,882

Download Audacity, make a sine wave and play it back? It should be perfectly smooth & distortion free, unless your volume's way too high...

Thanks a bunch for that. The right ear is fine but the left ear makes a horrible high pitched buzz. Darn.

May 16, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #4,673 of 75,882
Thanks.
from which vendor you bought?

May 16, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #4,674 of 75,882

Maybe a blown driver problem? I've got that problem with my Cygnus, you can check here a video about my case and make a test here, also sometimes it's just a hair on foam.

I wish. I took off the foam and made sure it was clean. The buzzing sound made my head hurt and using @vapman's test, it was clear that it was the left earbud. (By the way, it says your video is private.)

Yeah I would say get it replaced, you should definitely be able to get it replaced for free.

I shouldn't have to pay return shipping fees right? Since its defective, I got them today and found out they were defective right away.
I even messaged the seller letting them know that it was defective from the get go.

from which vendor you bought?

Shenzhen HCkexin Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. on Aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-Newest-HCK-MX1-In-Ear-Earphone-BA-Double-Unit-Headphone-HIFI-Fever-DIY-Headset-As/32591304629.html
I got the zirconis one because it looked fancy lol.

The worst and sad part is, the right ear works and the sound is so beautiful that I'm sad I have to wait for another pair after who knows how long this process takes to get to listen to them properly once and for all. It was so good I almost wanted to cry. Ok not really cry lol.

May 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #4,675 of 75,882
Ah, I bought my Mojito from them, but that's the only time I ordered from them. never had to do a dispute but hopefully they'll take care of you without having to go to a dispute.

May 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #4,676 of 75,882
  Ah, I bought my Mojito from them, but that's the only time I ordered from them. never had to do a dispute but hopefully they'll take care of you without having to go to a dispute.

Yea, can only hope for the best. Thanks again for your help. 

May 16, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #4,677 of 75,882
BTW that sine wave test is a good one, I only ever had to get a warranty replacement on one set of buds due to buzzing from one side, but that company (Hifiman) took care of me very quickly & professionally. It was out of warranty and I wasn't the original owner (bought them used) so I had to pay shipping to get it to them plus a service fee for them to repair it, but it was worth it. That's a entirely different situation from yours, I expect of course you should simply get a replacement unit.

May 17, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #4,678 of 75,882
  BTW that sine wave test is a good one, I only ever had to get a warranty replacement on one set of buds due to buzzing from one side, but that company (Hifiman) took care of me very quickly & professionally. It was out of warranty and I wasn't the original owner (bought them used) so I had to pay shipping to get it to them plus a service fee for them to repair it, but it was worth it. That's a entirely different situation from yours, I expect of course you should simply get a replacement unit.

That is definitely awesome. I feel like the awesome part here is that they repaired it. Never knew there existed a repair service for headphones. Sounds tough to a novice like me to repair headphones. But then there are so many of you here with your diy projects and creating your own impedance adapters, and messing with all this electronic stuff. I mean I could put PCs together but soldering such tiny components together seems intimidating. Kudos to all the people who do that here.

The hinderance in my audio nirvana journey : I want to get the the more expensive buds like Mojitos or Zen 2 but I fear the warranty issues. All the earbuds I have ever gotten shorted out without actual damage. Of course they werent good earbuds so I guess thats to be expected.
I have had my VE Monks for a good 2-3 months now. I think the longest lasting buds so far maybe and still going strong. They are made so sturdy. So worth the $5 spent.

May 17, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #4,680 of 75,882
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Venture-Electronic-VE-MONK-earbud-earphone/32417311324.html
When they hit $5 they are in stock, when they are marked up that means they are not in stock I believe.
Make sure to read the description and don't forget to follow this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/783669/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus-a-5-earbud-that-taking-the-world-by-storm
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back